Total votes: 0

Must be real close to release now.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I have installed RC3 Win XP pro SP3 with the following worries:

The installation seems to stop with the error below. Pressing OK seems to continue the installation but as it seemed to have taken forever (despite the warning) I killed the task and restarted again.

Same story but I did wait for a considerable longer time. This time the antivirus asked to allow access to a site (which is normal during install), installation eventually completed and it all seesm to work.

After upgrading the Dragon the Xmegas are availaible for debug!! Hurray! (started my 1st Xmega ASM test projects. :wink: The xplain board should be arriving shortly)

Attachment(s): 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Build 682 installed on my 32 bit Vista laptop with no issues. However it upgraded the firmware on my JTAGICEmk2 which now won't work on my other machines without a rollback (I haven't accepted their "downgrade" offer yet).

4.18RC3, Win XP Pro, SP3, no issues. No firmware upgrades. Works fine.4.18RC3, Win XP Pro, SP3, no issues. No firmware upgrades. Works fine.

Quote:
No firmware upgrades.
Did you have your tools already upgraded by a previous RC of Studio 4.18?

Also I found a couple of bugs with simulator2 and Xmega. (just in case the DEV team read this)

The simulator window clock start at 1MHz, the simulator options window shows 2MHz. Changing the simulator options window clock will also change the simulator window clock correctly however going back to the simulator options window it shows 2MHz again rather than what is shown in the simulator window clock.

The following may be something silly I did but here it goes. I changed WDWP and WDP to 1s (just for the heck of it) then ran the simulator. There is no way of stopping or breaking the simulation without killing Studio as the program restarts over and over again.

Register view: register name still cannot be changed to a label as it was the case before V4.15. If this is going to be a permanent change then please amend the help file to reflect this and point that the register label can be used in the Watch window instead.

edit some of the text disappeared, should be correct now.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

And PLEASE can someone get rid of the stupid folder select window that has popped into the later versions of Studio and revert to a sensible select screen?

It seems to have popped up in Studio 4.17 and now 4.18. It's sooo annoying.

Attachment(s): 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:
Quote:
No firmware upgrades.
Did you have your tools already upgraded by a previous RC of Studio 4.18?

No, previously I used 4.17, and yesterday I’ve installed 4.18RC3. AVRStudio didn’t suggest me to update mk2 firmware. Everything seems to work ok, but I haven’t too much time to check it appropriately.
BTW, I still wait for any significant progress in AVR Studio development, now it is very disappointing, because Atmel seems to add only new devices to AVR Studio, without any significant improving the tool.

Quote:

BTW, I still wait for any significant progress in AVR Studio development, now it is very disappointing, because Atmel seems to add only new devices to AVR Studio, without any significant improving the tool.

What would be their incentive and more importantly their budget approval for doing any more? Remember that Atmel are in severe financial problems. It's worth adding new device support as this might actually sell more silicon and make a bit of wonga.

Ok, I didn’t know about Atmel’s financial problems. So why they don’t release source code of AVR Studio, so the community can help to develop the tool? I know that there is some proprietary code inside Studio, but it still can be closed; only API is needed. Another thing is what for they introduce new chips which are not available? They have a beautiful FPSLIC devices, but not widely available. For me it makes much more sense to release basic AVR core with FPGA or CPLD inside, so I can program peripherals I need.
And last thing – many people choose AVRs because of nice and freely available tools, like AVR Studio and gcc. It was true a couple years ago. Now other companies offer more or less the same, so if they don’t improve Studio significantly they will lose those users.

Quote:

so if they don’t improve Studio significantly they will lose those users.

Oh come on - Studio is hardly the worst IDE in the universe is it? I cannot see people abandoning ship because of it. What's the old adage?... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

(the implication of that is that BUGS *should* still be fixed of course)

Quote:
Remember that Atmel are in severe financial problems.

In my experience all of the semiconductor industry is affected by the financial crisis, why do you think Atmel is affected more than others?

Btw, it is Awesome that Dragon now supports debuugging of a lot more devices :-)

Clawson, do you know better IDE which makes possible to debug and simulate AVR application? I know that it is possible(?) in gdb, but it is even worse than Studio.

You can wrap gdb in pretty clothes if you prefer. When working in Linux I like ddd on top of gdb but there's various other GUI wrappers too, my choice of ddd is purely historical (with gdb I find it one of the best debuggers I've ever used in fact)

Release Candidate 4 is available now at the usual location http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

Stan

By the way - in case anyone has lost it - I split some posts about the new Studio 5 off from this thread and made it sticky at the top of the forum.

Cliff (moderator)