AVR Studio 4.18 and Win7 x64 Can't connect to STK500

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

I have installed AVR Studio 4.18 SP1 with Windows 7 on x64 bit.

Then i start AVR-Studio with Admin Rights, then i can't connect to my STK 500 on COM1.

What is going wrong? Have AVR-Studio no Win7 support?

Thank you
Daniel

Sany1984 wrote:
Have AVR-Studio no Win7 support?

I have the same problem. I don't want to blame anyone (my blame leans towards MS though ;-) ), but if simple serial port communication stops working, someone made serious mistakes. It is the same since DOS times. You don't even need special drivers for attached hardware as long as the OS has drivers for the port.

I don't know if support for win7 will ever be added to the 4.x branch of AVR Studio. Version 5 should appear some time next year, so I don't expect too much work for 4 anymore.

The only way I currently can program my AVRs (didn't try other programs, since I wanted to use the integrated function of AVR Studio): I installed VirtualBox, installed XP in it (actually moved my old PC's "real" system into the VM), mapped the serial port to the virtual machine and use AVR Studio in there. Worked at first try, but doesn't change the fact, that it's quite annoying.

But since the virtual machine is the only way to use my USB2Serial converter (for a second RS232 interface), my webcam, and access settings on my Canon Powershot, it's no problem :? I'm using the XP virtual machine more often than the real win7 anyway :( And XP in the VM feels faster, too.

So my recommendation: stay away from 7 as long as you can, especially if you would be using the x64 version, because currently program/driver support is like it was with Vista, simply terrible (sidenote: I had to fight with my provider for a new DSL modem, since the old one they provided didn't work with 7).
If you want to do something different than viewing vacation pictures or listening to music, like actually doing WORK, it's definitly the wrong OS. (just look at how MS made windows explorer unuseable, broke simple file search - try to find text in a file with unknown extension aso.)

In this context - as I for some reasons had to switch to Win 7/64 a couple of weeks ago - some hopefully helpful hints:

1) Activate Administrator account & PW - that's what they do in Server 2008 R2 anyway

2) Disable UAC (buuuut: get a virus prog - personally, I like AVIRA. 'Defender' is nice, but its reactions are not very transparent)

3) Get "classic shell & explorer" (makes start menu and file explorer close to usable, kudos to Mr. Ivo Beltchev):

classicshell.sourceforge.net/

You may also want to google for how to get rid of the favorites and libraries links cluttering the navigation pane (BTW: after activating the admin account there also are drastically less ownership troubles when hacking the registry)

4) By all means avoid installing the SW (here: AVR Studio) in the default "Program Files (x86)"

5) After installation, work your way through the program's directory and flag each and every .exe permanently as 'run as administrator' (Properties/Compatibility) - had beautiful effects here, e.g. immidiately got rid of the infamous 'load partfile' error (can't recall the error code, something with '-2......), USB -> serial works again if the driver is WIN7/64 compliant, etc.

:)

Andreas