9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Why not check here:

http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

Lars Kvenild
Atmel Norway

Downloading as I type this. Anything to avoid having to get it from www.atmel.com, which requires a registration every time you d/l anything. Jut hoping that the final, non-beta, will also be available at the Norwegian beta site. With the frequency of Studio releases looking something like 4 or 5 per year, I bet that Atmel has a lot of John Does in their database by now.

Please Lars, can you talk to the people in charge of that ridicolous feature and tell them that it makes no sense whatsoever? Please? [grovel, grovel]

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Please Lars, can you talk to the people in charge of that ridicolous feature and tell them that it makes no sense whatsoever?
I don't know if registration makes business sense or not. But, given the small amount of time it takes to fill out the registration form, I don't consider it burdensome in exchange for free updates to the free software.

I am a grumpy old man, yes.

What makes absolutely no sense to me is the "in exchange for" argument. What use will Atmel have of (I suspect) thousands of registrations of a Mr "X", living at "X", in "X" with ZIP-code "1231233", e-mail "x@atmel.com" etc?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Quote:
What use will Atmel have of (I suspect) thousands of registrations of a Mr "X", living at "X", in "X" with ZIP-code "1231233", e-mail "x@atmel.com" etc?

Don't know about you but I receive Atme "e-news" about once a month. I'm guessing this is as a direct result of some registration I made on their site. To be honest I actually welcome it though I'm with you Johan and think that I shouldn't be MADE to sign up for (welcome) spam just to download Studio, the choice should be optional.

Cliff

PS Can I make a small suggestion to Lars too - I tend to keep the install files for different versions of Studio but you have a habit of always calling them just something like AVRStudio4Setup.exe - it'd save me renaming them at each download if you could call them AVRStudio4_15Setup.exe (or similar) in future.

Quote:
I tend to keep the install files for different versions of Studio
Oh I thought I was the only hogger, just can't throw things away :lol: I must have renamed the install files myself then.

Attachment(s): 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

As it happens I just discovered why it's useful to keep the older version. Up until yesterday I'd never used Hapsim but, to prove that the AVR Studio simulator could "light some LEDs" I downloaded it. It's a work of pure genius it turns out. So then I just downloaded 4.15 then tried Hapsim and it, of course, says "Unknown version of Studio". When I look at the source of Hapsim it appears to make binary hooks into the the running Studio code. So now I'm winding back to 4.14 so I can continue to "play"

BTW I notice that in 4.15 the defaults for a GCC project STILL do not include the linking with libm.a - that's a real shame.

clawson wrote:
... then tried Hapsim and it, of course, says "Unknown version of Studio".

Hapsim's already updated for AVR Studio 4.15 Beta, look at http://www.helmix.at/hapsim
(Luckily nothing changed in the relevant DLLs, except their version numbers...)