AVR Studio 4, stk600, jtagice mkii:Failed to set emulator...

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The tools in the subject line suddenly decide to stop working. I'm shown a Windows message box with "Failed to set emulator mode. Unable to continue." The LEDs on the jtagice behave normally.

I've been through several iterations of unplugging/replugging USB, power cycling everything, restarting AVR Studio, restarting the entire computer, and swearing. Nothing has helped.

This happened a few days ago. Then, I came back the next day, did something silly like restarting AVR Studio (not that I hadn't the day before), and everything started working again.

Just now I have disconnected the jtagice and replaced the 6 pin ISP/PDI cable on the stk600. Still trouble: the stk600 cannot read the atxmega's signature.

I wonder about my powered USB providing enough current to keep both dev tools happy. I'll still post this and look into that possibility tomorrow.

Things that were working and then suddenly don't work are obviously because something has changed. Now software is fairly deterministic in this sense - a line doesn't edited itself or a user option isn't changed without your knowledge. Hardware is slightly less predictable - a solder joint can break or a cable can detach simply because you nudged your desk or a component can fail because it was driven slightly out of spec. so in all likelihood this is a change in the hardware. I guess the place to start is to think back if there was any software or hardware change you deliberately made - if not it's almost certainly a hardware failure.

All true. Thank you for your input.

In lieu of anything more apparent, I'm going after the theory that my cheap powered USB hub is not up to the task of powering both the stk600 and the jtagice mkii. I've acquired a couple external power supplies for the task, and rewired one since the mkii prefers center negative.

I won't know for sure about the problem/solution until some days go by with no repeat. I'll try to remember to report back.

Interesting side note: some second hand input sourced from atmel field ap engineers was that atmel recommends NOT relying upon USB power for the stk600, regardless of external circuitry attached. If true, sad that it has never made it into the stk600 online help documentation.

I forgot to report back -- the addition of the external power supplies for both the STK600 and the jtagice-mkii sufficed. At least for a couple of weeks. Then the cheap hub decided to go bonkers, sending the cursor of the mouse it hosted all over the screen at high speed and randomly clicking. Hub replaced. Hopefully "name brand" means something here.

Well, I'm back in what my dear wife has termed "atmel hell".

Can you please advise of the possible problems that would prevent AVR Studio from connecting with a ATK600 development board? The only information I get from AVR Studio is the fairly typical PDI Mode Error message box. I’ve attached a screen shot of what I got when attempting to “Read Signature”.

I have tried this with and without external power supplied to the STK600, and with and without my jtagice-mkii attached. I’ve verified all cabling, especially in the cases with and without the jtagice. I’ve provided external power to the jtagice as well.

I believe the atxmega32a4 is good, as when I power cycle the stk600 it flashes LEDs in just the pattern the currently programmed firmware instructs it to use.

The status LEDs on the stk600 are normal: red at on/off switch is lit, green/orange near the program button is green, and the one near the “vtarget” jumper is green. (I don’t know that meaning of the latter LED.)

Ideas? Suggestions? I’m really in a jamb here.

steverino wrote:
I believe the atxmega32a4 is good, as when I power cycle the stk600 it flashes LEDs in just the pattern the currently programmed firmware instructs it to use.

Hmmm. Despite the fact the xmega was clearly running the previously programmed firmware just fine, I swapped it out just for grins. Am now able to connect and program. Great. Just great.

Yeah, I know that these uPs are complex devices and a failure in the one block doesn't necessarily mandate a failure in another. It can be darned maddening, though. Is this why they pay us the big bucks? :?

I have the same problem with an ATXMEGA32A4 and AVR Dragon. At first I could program it but now I can't. I tried with USB power, external power, and with a MKII but nothing works. I have the "Failed to st emulation mode" message when I use AVR Dragon. hat can i do to program it? is it blocked?

Thanks in advence

I'm no expert. With that fair warning, my troubles stopped with two changes:

1) a new 32a4.

2) a better external power supply for both the stk600 and th jtagice mkii.

I had been using wall wart type power supplies for each. Nice and inexpensive, and rated sufficiently for the task as hand. Out of desparation switched to a nice bench unit capable of more current. Much more than the wart supply and much more than *should* have been required.

Note that the stk600 and the jtagice have different preferences for +/- polarity on the supply plug center tap. Gotta love that, eh Atmel?

Completely unaware what the dragon prefers, but you may wish to check.