AVR Software Framework (ASF) Designers contest

Go To Last Post
73 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

Atmel invites all users in the AVRfreaks community to participate in the ASF Designers contest.

Task:
Create an AVR project using ASF, and write a blog style review of ASF and the development process of your project.

Rules and tips:
- Feel free to select the AVR project yourself, but ASF should be used.
- The main target is to demonstrate the ease of use and advantages of ASF, but drawbacks, enhancement proposals and potential pitfalls should be well covered in the review.
- The development process and review of ASF is as important as the project itself.
- Upload your project and review to the AVR freaks project page and prefix it with ASF review: Example name "[ASF review] Your project name"
- Both zip file of project and review (.pdf, .doc, .html page) should be uploaded.
- All code submitted in the contest will be open source as for other AVR freaks projects.
- Atmel may use the project and ASF review for internal evaluation of ASF

Awards for best review/project

1. prize
Complete AVR development kit containing:
AVR ONE!
JTAGICE mkII
JTAGICE 3
AVR Dragon
STK600
STK500
Atmel DIP Socket Card for STK600
Atmel STK600-RC008T-2
AVRISP mkII
XMEGA-A1 Xplained
Mega-1284P-Xplained
UC3-L0 Xplained

2. Prize
JTAGICE3
XMEGA-A1 Xplained
Mega-1284P-Xplained
UC3-L0 Xplained

3. Prize
JTAGICE mkII
XMEGA-A1 Xplained

Deadline:
Friday September 9th (UPDATED!)

Atmel Norway
ASF development team

Last Edited: Mon. Aug 22, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Do we have to submit the whole project or a strip down(but still functional) is allowed?

We have a project that we just finished(still tweaking but functionnal) and we intensively used the ASF, which makes it a good quandidate. One of it's purpose is to act as a black box on a CANbus network, hence it has a huge table to define all network variable. Would it be ok to strip the CAN read function to save message nowhere and the Save to SD function to just dump garbage on the SD?

Thanks

Wouldn't it be fairer to split the prizes into groups? Why would anyone with an AVR One! want or need an ICEIII, ICEII, Dragon or AVRISPmkII? Or are you simply expecting the lesser devices to be sold on ebay by the winner? In which case why not offer them one each of the top of the range items and a cash prize?

(BTW you may want to make it clearer who retains the copyright of any IPR generated by this ;-))

fnadeau wrote:
Do we have to submit the whole project or a strip down(but still functional) is allowed?

You don't need to submit the whole project, but the project should be functional and compile.

As stated, documenting and reviewing the process of using ASF is equally important as the project itself.

clawson wrote:
Wouldn't it be fairer to split the prizes into groups? Why would anyone with an AVR One! want or need an ICEIII, ICEII, Dragon or AVRISPmkII? Or are you simply expecting the lesser devices to be sold on ebay by the winner? In which case why not offer them one each of the top of the range items and a cash prize?

For many freaks, having a complete AVR development suite will have a major collectors value.

clawson wrote:
(BTW you may want to make it clearer who retains the copyright of any IPR generated by this ;-))

All projects submitted in this contest will be open source code that both AVR freaks user and Atmel may use. Atmel will use the review both for demonstration of how to develop code with ASF and for internal evaluation of ASF.

Why does the short deadline and requirements make me feel like this is someone at Atmel trying to offload his work onto the forums?

No real contest would give participants 10 days total to produce a complete project. Even less so on some newish software development kit barely anyone uses.

hugoboss wrote:
Why does the short deadline and requirements make me feel like this is someone at Atmel trying to offload his work onto the forums?

No real contest would give participants 10 days total to produce a complete project. Even less so on some newish software development kit barely anyone uses.

The purpose of this contest is not to outsource any work to external developers.

The main purpose is to gain knowledge on strengths and weaknesses of ASF, and how the framework is used. The outcome of this contest may contribute to affect how ASF will evolve in the future.

As written in the "rules & tips" section, the development process and the written review text is as important as the project itself. So creating a LED chaser and writing an excellent review documenting the entire development process:
- how did ASF help you to complete your project faster
- what would be faster to do without ASF
- which modules are good and can be easily used straight from the box
- which modules needs to be re-written to suit your needs
- did you start your project from scratch, or did you combine and modify existing examples
+++

Such an approach will have better chances to win the competition than developing a highly advanced application and submitting a .txt file stating that "asf is pretty good and helped me a lot, but the dma driver was not good so I had to write my own."

ASF is all about rapid prototyping, and the purpose is to help developers to complete projects faster. That is the reason for the short deadline.

Focus on documenting the development process and the review, and not to make the most advanced and creative project.

Atmel Norway
ASF developers

-

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 14, 2011 - 09:37 PM

@asf-test: I don't know who you are, but I want you out of my head immediately.

It's like you were watching over my shoulder as I was trying to find this ASF thing and its documentation in some form I could use on my Mac in a command line tool chain.

ASF standalone archive (zip format) supports both UC3 , megaAVR and XMEGA devices; can be downloaded from www.atmel.com/asf. You'll have to register.
The zip archive contains IAR projects and GNU makefile, and Doxygen configuration so you can generate the hmtl doc version (through the make doc commande).

AVR Studio 5 (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product...) includes the ASF so you don't need to download it, then you can access ASF drivers through the project menu and file->new example to get the examples.

-sma

Quote:

You'll have to register.

Replace "software_download.php" to "software_download_splash.php" when you're asked to register to bypasss it. One of these days I'll make a Greasmonkey script to automatically do it.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Asf-test appears to be in the lead so far, as the only one submitting his comments/review. :wink:

I hope that there is a load of users preparing their reviews, so that we can get some input on how to improve ASF.

For now it appears that (lacking) accessibility is the first hurdle...

- Jacob (Atmel)

Jacob

We will add the following 2. and 3. prize:

JTAGICE3
XMEGA-A1 Xplained
Mega-1284P-Xplained
UC3-L0 Xplained

JTAGICE mkII
XMEGA-A1 Xplained

Atmel Norway
ASF Developers

Is there anywhere on the Atmel website that actually explains what the ASF is without having to download and install it?

Is it just a software library, and if so is it all for GCC/WinAVR or is assembler supported?

Is it some sort of IDE or just a lot of library files?

If the latter what are the 'rules' for integrating them with your own code?

Cheers,

Joey

Quote:

Is it just a software library, and if so is it all for GCC/WinAVR or is assembler supported?

It is just a s/w library (a library of source, not a true library) and it comes in at least IAR and GCC variants (not sure about CV and Imagecraft). It is not an IDE - just a collection of .c and .h files.

As with any such library you #include the .h you need and add the .c to the list of sources to be built.

Personally I only ever looked at it once and back then it was a bit of a nightmare in that everything was located in separate directories so trying to setup your -I's and add build targets was a bit of a nightmare - maybe that's changed?

(from reading AS5 threads) It seems that when you use ASF components in a project in AS5 it copies the files to your local project area (which I guess is OK for "read-only" library code) but the true solution would be to set up header and source search paths and have the files accessed in place.

BTW if this page on atmel.com is to be believed:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product...

the only "mega" that's supported is 1284P which hugely limits it for the rest of us tiny and mega users. Perhaps the 1284P support includes 164P/324P/644P which possibly widens it a bit? If there were that and 48/88/168/328PA support it might hit the majority of modern mega users?

EDIT: Curiosity got the better or me so I downloaded 2.6.1. the release notes say the (mega) support is:

Quote:
ATmega1284P
ATmega2560
ATmega48/88/168/328
ATmega16/32
ATmega169/329
ATmega64/128
ATmega324/644/1284

though under mega/drivers there only seems to be example timer-counter code ? So how extensive you could claim the support to be is questionable?

Interesting to see a copy of FreeRTOS in the archive but astonished to find there's only uc3-avr32 variant and they've ditched the atmega323 example code completely?!?

Jacob wrote:

I hope that there is a load of users preparing their reviews, so that we can get some input on how to improve ASF.

Raise your hand everyone who hands in assignments a week before they're due...

*crickets*

You'll get at least a handful of submissions, I'm sure, but especially with the short deadline people are going to tend to come in a bit last minute.

After posting my previous grumble I registered, downloaded and spent a few hours getting familiar with the codebase. If I can find a suitable MCU locally I'll probably put in an entry, but more as a spur to get myself into learning some AVR stuff than in any expectation of being able to best any reasonably experienced AVR developer.

Funnily enough I'm getting to the point where I've written enough routines/setup commands to spend more time adapting old ones for new projects than writing them for scratch.

I can't help feeling it wouldn't be too hard to have a simple database driven graphic front end that when you select chip, clock speed and the functions/pins you want to use, out pops an .ini file with the correct values for all the system registers.

Once that works, you could start adding on display interfaces etc.

Or perhaps we need MIT's 'Scratch for AVR'?

Cheers,

Joey

Quote:

I can't help feeling it wouldn't be too hard to have a simple database driven graphic front end that when you select chip, clock speed and the functions/pins you want to use, out pops an .ini file with the correct values for all the system registers.

I think you just described the Codevision CodeWizard ;-)

(also Atman AVR and I think Imagecraft have something similar too).

A small correction :
Please change the word from "price" to "prize" :x

[corrected - cliff]

Why memorize anything which you can easily pen down on a piece of paper or get from a book in less than two minutes? - Albert Einstein on being asked why cant he remember his phone number!!!

superconductor wrote:
A small correction :

[corrected - cliff]

and in the news, on the frontpage...

Based on feedback from the community, we have updated the deadline to September 9th.

ASF developers

superconductor wrote:
A small correction :

[corrected - cliff]

OT: Price is just a different spelling .... not a wrong spelling.

A GIF is worth a thousend words   They are called Rosa, Sylvia, Tessa and Tina, You can find them https://www.linuxmint.com/

Dragon broken ? http://aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Dragon/Dragon.html for how-to-fix tips

Quote:

Price is just a different spelling .... not a wrong spelling.

Not in England Price is what you pay for things, prize is things you get without paying.

Okay. Prize it is then

Nard
(learned AGAIN something today)

A GIF is worth a thousend words   They are called Rosa, Sylvia, Tessa and Tina, You can find them https://www.linuxmint.com/

Dragon broken ? http://aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Dragon/Dragon.html for how-to-fix tips

Would it be expected to document the hardware setup and a step-by-step guide if using some of Atmels own hardware and software tools like the STK600 with a mega device, a JTAG debugger and a bootloader from Atmel?

-Simon

Simon Loell wrote:
Would it be expected to document the hardware setup and a step-by-step guide if using some of Atmels own hardware and software tools like the STK600 with a mega device, a JTAG debugger and a bootloader from Atmel?

-Simon

As previously stated, the goal of this contest is to collect knowledge on how developers uses ASF and highlight strengths and weaknesses for future improvements of the framework.

You should focus on reviewing the software development process using ASF, and a step-by-step hardware users guide is not required.

We would like to emphasize that the target for this contest is to review the development process. The winner is not necessary the user that develops the most advanced and creative application, but we will reward users that contributes with information that help us to improve ASF in the future.

Keep it simple, it is not required to develop software for a nuclear power plant :-)

ASF developers

Quote:

Keep it simple, it is not required to develop software for a nuclear power plant

You'd probably learn more about ASF doing that than flashing an LED though ;-)

I've just downloaded ASF 2.6.1 and start looking for full implementation of HMATRIX driver for AVR32... what a disappointment - it is not there!!!

I am sorry, but providing some parts of the driver code as a function in the example file seems to not be serious. Moreover, the documentation to the HMATRIX is poor, so there is no document with recommendations how to configure it efficiently for different needs; with examples. I feel great potential in fixed arbitration, but completely do not have idea how to optimally configure it. Maybe even reconfiguration at different stages of the application may increase performance. I try some changes in HMATRIX, but no improvement in TC reconfiguration & interrupt latency.

In framework 1.7.0 for AVR32 there is at least some header file, but no .c file, even if it is put in documentation.

And still neither FreeRTOS port or anything in SDRAMC is prepared to move heap into SDRAM easily - the code still requires rework according to Application Notes. This time consuming job could easily be implemented by some config flags and exchange of linker scripts. My code currently have this hard coded, if I have time I will try to prepare that configurable - but my changes to the initialization are deeper due to switching into 66 MHz before SDRAM is available to the system.

Additionally this stuff could be distributed with files needed to be imported to AVR32 Studio.

I was considering doing something using ASF and AS5, using the control panel application (for EVK1100) as a staring point. After it taking close to a week to get the control panel application to work (mostly) using AS5 I have come very close to giving up. I eventually figured out the problem was a bug in ethernet.c (line 437 where it has "!= 6" it should be "== 6"). Only became a problem because in the latest releases of ASF the default MAC address has been changed in the source code.

After getting past that problem (not made any easier by the garbage debbuger in AS5), I was still getting some malloc problems so I decided to 'try' and mode the heap to SDRAM. I have managed to do this in a small test app, but in the control panel app I am having no joy whatsoever. I have read all the forum posts and appnotes and still can't get the damn thing to work. I am guessing it is something to do with FreeRTOS, but I can't figure it out.

My suggestions for improvements to ASF are:
1. Produce a proper getting stared reference.
2. Fully test that the reference applications compile and work (the control panel app generates over 150 warnings)
3. Demonstrate all functionality in the reference apps.

Cheers
Simon 'the frustrated'

The opening post contest section given above was edited (four times) since it came into life.

Quote:
Based on feedback from the community, we have updated the deadline to September 9th.

That is not fair!

Don't you think it is an agreement between Atmel and a participant? Some Freaks decided to participate because of short deadline in the contest which would increase their chances significantly.

And you edit the rules, because some "loosing community" in here wishes to do so? Or because it suits your plans?

That is not fair Mr. Atmel.

Obey the rules YOU provided.
Terminate the contest, give information on who the winner is. If you want a contest with different rules, start another contest.

Shame on you.

No RSTDISBL, no fun!

Quote:

And you edit the rules, because some "loosing community" in here wishes to do so? Or because it suits your plans?

That is not fair Mr. Atmel.

Terminate the contest, give information on who the winner is. If you want a contest with different rules, start another contest.

One would think that the winner should be decided on merit, not just who can slap together a project in the original (super) short time-frame. Being inclusive is what AVRFreaks is all about, and I can't see how giving everyone more time to enter is a bad thing.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Quote:

Don't you think it is an agreement between Atmel and a participant? Some Freaks decided to participate because of short deadline in the contest which would increase their chances significantly.

I had extensive PM exchanges with some of the Atmel guys and I think in part it might have been the arguments I presented that, in part, persuaded them to extend the deadline. So, sorry about that but the original announcement did (IMAO) seem flawed. I would have had a go at something myself but there's no way I could find the free time to do so in the original 14 day period. Unfortunately it was so long before the extension was announced that it did little more than start a new 2+ week period - which didn't actually help much.

To me the unfairness seems to lie in the fact that those who took the first bait might
i) Have worked intensively to get something together, and now others are given more time. Stochastic handicap system if you ask me.
ii) Have cut down their project to an absolute minimum in order to meet the first deadline. In order to meet the possibly higher standard of the projects that are done under the handicap system, work may have been in vain, work-steps might have to be done again etc.

Dean - I know that the folks at Trondheim that you will work with are nice people. I understand that you will be extremely happy working there. But you do not need to push this to the point where you defend them unconditionally, or can not identify when someone at Atmel takes a genuinely bad decision.

For me this looks pretty clear: They wanted to push the ASF. There where not many takers of the bait. Someone extended the deadline, perhaps even so as not to look stupid him/her-self. The possible effects re how people who has already filed projects was not take into account. The extension has backfired.

IMO Atmel should refrain from trying to run propaganda for the software stuff they've been putting out lately, and instead use that time to sit down and actually analyze if they perhaps made some bad decisions along the way.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I have to agree completely with Johan on the fact that Atmel should be looking at the crap they have produced lately.

I wonder how many freaks have actually watched this video and wondered what the guy is being told by his suppordinates. Most likely how wonderful AS5 and ASF are is my guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...

I think a more useful and attractive prize would have been:
2 x JTAGICE mkII
2 x STK600
2 entire sets of STK600 adapter boards
2 each of the top end processors in each product line.
and an NGW100

and if I didn't already have all this stuff, I would go crazy trying to win it, because designing something interesting without it would be nearly impossible.

I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Brutte wrote:
The opening post contest section given above was edited (four times) since it came into life.

Quote:

That is not fair!

The deadline was extended on or before Aug 22 and you're just complaining about this on Sept 5?

Quote:

I'm confused; are there any entries in yet? When I click on Projects and search for 'review' I don't see anything that looks like a contest entry. The winner would be 'nobody' in that case, would it not?

I was planning to enter something before the original deadline, but once it was extended I held back. I'm assuming anyone else planning to enter has done so as well.

Quote:

I'm confused; are there any entries in yet? When I click on Projects and search for 'review' I don't see anything that looks like a contest entry. The winner would be 'nobody' in that case, would it not?

You're kidding right? Have you ever known a software engineer hand in a project at anything but 1 minute to 5 on the very last day allotted for the job?

When I disapproved of the change of rules during the contest, some of you gave IMHO not related arguments I would like to point out:

tinkerer wrote:
The deadline was extended on(..)

Does it matter when? I disagree with changing rules during the contest, not the 22.08 deadline itself.

tinkerer wrote:
are there any entries in yet?(..)

Does it matter? The contest is not obligatory (yet).

ninevoltz9 wrote:
I think a more useful and attractive prize would have been(..)

abcminiuser wrote:
One would think that the winner should be decided on merit,(..)

I can understand your disappointment guys, but since Atmel provided the prizes, the rules were up to them. Still, these remarks have not much to do with changing the rules during the contest.

clawson wrote:
and I think in part (..) So, sorry about that

Same as above. You can send anything you wish to Atmel as long as you do not send threats there. Breaking the agreement was their decision and they are the only ones responsible for that.

abcminiuser wrote:
(..)Being inclusive is what AVRFreaks is all about, and I can't see how giving everyone more time to enter is a bad thing.

Changing the rules that way is definitely not a bad thing, but only from Atmel's perspective.
Don't forget the contest rules were published as mutual agreement. From winning contestants' perspective change of rules decreases their chances (read Johan explanation).

I am really disappointed not all of you disagree with violation of elementary fair-play rules.

No RSTDISBL, no fun!

Brutte wrote:
When I disapproved of the change of rules during the contest, some of you gave IMHO not related arguments I would like to point out:

tinkerer wrote:
The deadline was extended on(..)

Does it matter when? I disagree with changing rules during the contest, not the 22.08 deadline itself.

Er, the 09.09 deadline, perhaps? But anyway if you were expecting to change things, maybe objecting when the rule change was minty-fresh might have been helpful. Some of us have adapted accordingly, and you're suggesting changing the rules yet again.

Quote:

tinkerer wrote:
are there any entries in yet?(..)

Does it matter? The contest is not obligatory (yet).

I don't know what you mean by obligatory, but I would say it certainly does matter. If they follow your suggestion and declare the contest closed, nobody would win anything. How do you expect that to be an improvement?

Quote:

I am really disappointed not all of you disagree with violation of elementary fair-play rules.

I was disappointed to see the rules change, but nobody objected at the time and since I'm new here I didn't want to sound whiny by complaining about it. If you complained back before everyone started adjusting to the new reality, I'd certainly have popped in with a 'me too' comment. It seems rather odd to demand changes now.

clawson wrote:
Quote:

You're kidding right? Have you ever known a software engineer hand in a project at anything but 1 minute to 5 on the very last day allotted for the job?

My sentiments exactly. I was just thrown by the demand to "terminate the contest, give information on who the winner is." That makes it sound like there's at least one entry out there and I'm looking in the wrong place... wouldn't be the first time.

Speaking of deadlines... can we get like a UTC time or something? Or is 23:59 local time just fine?

-

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 14, 2011 - 09:37 PM

asf-test wrote:

I count three Atmel employees taking part in this thread. Non of them cared to come up with a correct, complete, just-click-it URL for the Xmega ASF. One, sma, had the galls to point me to one of the useless AVR32 websites I already checked.

Actually Dean gave you a perfectly usable method of downloading the ASF without registration in this very discussion. Also, there's no such thing as "the Xmega ASF", there is only one ASF, covering various MCUs and two build environments. So the 'galls' link was perfectly valid, whether you like it or not. (This also applies to your original complaint about the download being IAR only, by the way. It's not IAR only, as even the one line description of the download indicates.)

So they didn't give you a "just-click-it" URL, but I tested Dean's method on sma's link out of curiosity (I'd already registered and downloaded) and it works fine. Even better, it also applies to other registration-required downloads like AS5, so Dean essentially "taught you to fish" rather than "gave you a fish." Why complain about service like that? Presumably adding 7 characters to a URL in a web browser isn't that hard for a Linux/microcontroller code jockey such as yourself.

Anyway, Atmel is within its rights to ask for registration if that's what they want. I think they'd do better just to put it out there in the first place, but moaning about whether registration is "fair" or not is laying on the drama a bit thick. In my opinion.

Quote:
Instead of telling people where the software can be downloaded they extend the deadline. Does that make sense? Only for Atmel. Is it fair? I don't think so, but it doesn't matter for me. I am out.

You have two options.

1) Download the latest AVR Studio 5, the AVR Software Framework is embedded within it. This is the recommended route AFAIK, since you can select various components through a UI.

2) Download the ASF source code from http://atmel.com/dyn/products/to... Don't be alarmed that the page mentions 32-bit AVR, the ZIP contains both 32-bit AVR, AVR XMEGA and megaAVR stuff.

Hans-Christian

-

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 14, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to make this all even more dramatic. Can't say I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it is grimly impressive.

asf-test wrote:
So that is the magic secret, the magic handshake, handed down only from father to son only? When Atmel labels a download link

Quote:

Atmel AVR Software Framework 2.6.1
(69 MB, revision 2.6.1, updated 8/11)
Standalone package for IAR™ and Atmel® AVR32 Studio users.

they don't mean it? That is supposed to be the thing for the Xmega, too? And one has to circumvent the registration for this AVR32 download to get ASF for the Xmega? I am sure it makes sense for Atmel.

It says AVR32 Studio users, not AVR32 users. "But, but, the term AVR32 is right there in the title!" I'm going to let you in on a little secret, OK? You know Apple has this program called iTunes? It supports more than just tunes! And Microsoft sells something called Microsoft Word? Keep this on the super-down-low, but I hear through the grapevine that... (looks around suspiciously...) you can type whole sentences with it!

And no, for the record, you do not have to circumvent registration in order to get the software - you have the option of registering too. It's a minor nuisance, but there isn't even so much as a click-through EULA to deal with.

Quote:

Is that comedian for hire, or can I have a transcription of that video? I seriously think about staging a reading of that transcript at our next local embedded group meeting. That evening will be remembered for years, I am sure.

Yeah, sounds like a real highlight. Knock yourself out.

Quote:

you have the option of registering too. It's a minor nuisance, but there isn't even so much as a click-through EULA to deal with.

Nevertheless a nuisance. I would prefer a click-through EULA any day.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

OK. I gave it a shot with my shiny new UC3C-EK. I made a simple project using the QTouch buttons for media control over HID. Let me know what you think.
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?module=Freaks%20Academy&func=viewItem&item_type=project&item_id=3195

-

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 14, 2011 - 09:36 PM

ok, let's calm down a little on theand see how we can sort this out:

- ASF prefered way of use is within AVR Studio 5 (megaAVR, XMEGA, UC3 users), because it just makes it easier to use (access to examples, wizard to build a project).
- For those who don't want to use AVR Studio 5, meaning 1/ IAR users (=megaAVR, XMEGA, UC3 users), 2/AVR32 Studio users (= UC3 users), and 3/ makefile commande line user(=megaAVR, XMEGA, UC3 users): there is the standalone archive on www.atmel.com/asf. Yes, you'll have to register. If you don't want to register, use the trick with url and you'll be happy.
megaAVR, XMEGA and UC3 are supported in the ASF. All UC3 kits and XMEGA kits are supported as well.

Now i'd like to hear valuables feedbacks on ASF (i think everyone got the point that the archive label might not be clear enough for some people).

:-)

-sma

Hey, sma!

Assuming (based on location "Nantes", and your constantly insightful posts here) that you are on the inside of Atmel: How about just helping us get rid of that registration by subtly passing the word up the food chain?

sma is right, toning things down would be best in general, and I recognize that this largely applies to me.

I do think I should make one point perfectly clear, though, in reference to this bit; "they warned me about the development tools, and they warned me about their fans."

I won't touch the dev tools comment, but I am not at all affiliated with Atmel and I don't represent 'AVR fans' in any meaningful way. I'm new to this forum, I don't know anyone here and nobody knows me (although Atmel has my registration info once or twice in their database ;) ) and I never even owned an MCU from any manufacturer before maybe two months ago.

If somebody wants to say about me, "that guy is a jerk," or whatever, that's their prerogative (and it may even be essentially true; I definitely have a low tolerance for, um, certain behaviours), but that characterization should not be extended to any of the long time regulars here. My apologies to all of you 'freaks' out there for smearing your reputation, I'll try to conduct myself with more decorum.

And again; when exactly is the deadline for submissions? I have to figure out if I'm going to have any time at all on Friday for this little project or not.

Quote:
For those who don't want to use AVR Studio 5, meaning 1/..2/..and 3/..
What about /4? The ones who don't trust/like Studio 5 and want to use Studio 4 for another couple of years? :-) Not me of course as I don't think I need ASF at all...lived without it for about 12 years of using Atmel, sorry but I don't see what the fuss is all about.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Pages

Topic locked