Go To Last Post
24 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Attend a PicoPower workshop and get 50% off coupon for the new STK600:

http://www.atmel.com/picopowerwo...

Eric

All top ten posters (ok maybe top 20) should get a free one anyway, otherwise how are we supposed to provide technical assistance to people all over the world and thereby saving Atmel million in tech support. :lol:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Hmmmmm

Yep, I in again & not loose out this time.
Pity from OZ folks, that we cannot attend.

Cheers
Ken

Atmel should make all the dragon slayers "honorary attendees" and send them a dragon gratis.

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

http://www.cbaird.org

Is there any information about STK600 features?

I alwo would be happy to test it.

Guillem.

Guillem.
"Common sense is the least common of the senses" Anonymous.

I just got back from the seminar in Atlanta. They covered some interesting details of ways to save power, with a focus on the "P" Picopower devices.

The labs used a special Dragon that they modified by soldering in some headers and a 40-pin DIP. The DIP was populated with an ATMEGA164P, which is a 40 pin Picopower version of the popular ATMEGA168. They also make a picopower version of the '168 and that 28 pin device would probably have been adequate for the labs.

The labs focused on showing us the effect of the different low power modes and settings of the register that turns off various peripherals. The labs were well explained with a PDF that included screen shots of AVR Studio. We wired a meter in series with the power to the target device so we could see the current levels.

My setup worked fine in most ways, but I couldn't get the gcc debugger to work within AVR Studio. I had it configured to use the JTAG programming mode, and I was using the Dragon so I should have been able to use breakpoints. I could download my program fine, and I could start/stop it, but breakpoints were ignored. When I pressed the Break button it popped up a disassembly window with a bunch of bogus opcodes (all hex FF).

I'm interested to know if anyone has ideas on what might have been wrong with the debugger.

We weren't allowed to keep the Dragon with the headers and the target device, but they gave us a new Dragon. I'll solder in my own headers and a ZIF socket for a target.

They didn't give us the slides as a PDF but I will email my Atmel rep to get them. The slides were pretty good. I can post the code and slides on my site if anyone wants them.

There was no mention of anything to do with the upcoming XMEGA (yes, we did ask). He told us the STK600 was delayed a bit due to some kind of issues with the boards, but they should be available within a month or two.

Eric

Did anyone ask about Dragon-slaying problems?

Quote:

The DIP was populated with an ATMEGA164P, which is a 40 pin Picopower version of the popular ATMEGA168.

You probably meant "the popular ATMEGA16."

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

No mention of Dragon issues.

The '168 is popular with Arduino users and people upgrading from the ATMega8. It's really an upgrade of the '16 of course, but many newer AVR people (like me) may not have used the legendary '16.

Eric

js wrote:
All top ten posters (ok maybe top 20) should get a free one anyway, otherwise how are we supposed to provide technical assistance to people all over the world and thereby saving Atmel million in tech support. :lol:

Well, that's about the only way I would be able to justify the cost of the STK600 right now. Though, It would be a nice addition to the bench.

But you're right JS, we AVRFreaks do absorb off an awful lot of Atmels tech support traffic.

So, as one of AVRFreaks top 10 posters, if Atmel wants to give me a free STK600, I'll be happy to help them out with their tech support... :lol: Please???

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Well, I haven't been much help for the last year or so (if I ever was) but I am going to post to this thread just in case they do decide to give away some STK600's :-) :-)

Quote:

The '168 is popular with Arduino users and people upgrading from the ATMega8. It's really an upgrade of the '16 of course, but many newer AVR people (like me) may not have used the legendary '16.

No, not really. Back when I was your age there were really only a few AVR models to choose from. [There were some half-memory models not widely used/available/attractive.] Let's use DIP, and ignore for now the 8-pin class and bigger than 40-pin:

20-pin: AT90S2313, UART, no A/D
28-pin: AT90S4433, UART, A/D
40-pin: AT90S8535, UART, A/D
40-pin: AT90S1515, UART, no A/D, external memory interface

The ATTiny range now has a lot of models, with the 20-pin model the ATTiny2313.
The 28-pin now has several models: ATMega8 has been around quite a while, and newer ATMega48/88/168, in different suffixes.

The 40-pin-with-A/D begat the Mega163 and Mega323. The modern equivalents are the Mega8535, the Mega16/32, and the newer Mega164/324/644 with various suffixes.

Yes, a Mega8 and Mega16 share much of the peripheral set, and an AVR is largely an AVR. But I'd never call a '168 an upgrade of a '16--it is a newer-generation Mega8, along with its siblings. As both lines are now available as P chips perhaps the distinctions are blurring. Getting back to your original point, Mega48/88/168 P chips are (or "were" until very recently) scarcer than hen's teeth while the Mega164P and Mega324P have been in production for some months. I'd guess that is why they were chosen for the road show and other demos.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

theusch wrote:
Did anyone ask about Dragon-slaying problems?

I was also at the Atlanta event today and talked with the Atmel rep about the Dragons issues. He didn't say much but about it but he did mention problems with the voltage regulator. He also said not to place it on the black foam pad that comes in the box when it is in use. I believe he said it wasn't ESD safe but I am not 100% positive on this as I was trying to understand his accent. Overall I thought it was a great course considering other events I have been to that didn't have any interactivity using the products. Not a whole lot of marketing spill but hands on use of their products. Btw, I also told him to come to AVRFreaks and see the video of the current consumption issue that was shown on the multi-meter.

Quote:
He didn't say much but about it but he did mention problems with the voltage regulator.
This is also delaying the STK600 release

Chuck, we missed you at the Seattle Pico Power workshop today!

Thanks, Tom. I probably should have gone. I was ambivalent about it, and couldn't make up my mind since I have other things I should be working on. I wanted to cancel in time for them to fill the spot off their waitlist, and the day after I did peret posted the first commentary that made me regret my decision. Since then every time someone posts I kick myself.

So how was it? It's time I got another kick.

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

Will Atmel ever run these workshops in Oz? Perhaps because we're in the southern hemisphere things are reversed and they should give freebies to Freaks who weren't at the workshops.

Anyway, with my luck, they'd be in Sydney and Melbourne only and Canberra would miss out!

[OFF-OFF] Canberra is in the Australian Capital Territory, a bit like Washington in DC. Does Washington get left out of things - or does it not have many tech companies? [/OFF-OFF]

C. H.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It's only waste if you don't use it!

You should have come anyways, there was plenty of room. I'm sure you could have re-signed up on the spot. I ended up going down last night since my wife did get the day off.

The workshop was good, and we ended up talking a lot of other things than just picopower. But the delightful surprise was Tom graciously handed out freebies of his own! He gave each of us a set of both his USBKey and Dragon adapter boards! Thanks again Tom :D

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Ouch! (somebody kicked me)

Chuck Baird

Quote:
they'd be in Sydney and Melbourne only and Canberra would miss out!
Of course, who would want to go somewhere where one could bump into a polly?? :) Anyway a nice 3 hour (or less) drive would get you into Sydney now, you will have to take out a mortgage for the M7 and M2 (last seminar wat at Macquarie Uni) or could hitch a ride with me at the end of the M7...whenever we get the seminars that is :)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

zbaird wrote:
Ouch! (somebody kicked me)

Tom had asked me to bring some of the boards to you, but I never got your address. In hind sight I should have taken them and arranged to meet with you some other time.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

I put the bricked up mega164p chips I got during the workshop break into my stk500. With parallel programming I was able to fix the fuses. How does one get both ISP and JTAG turned off?

Too bad they were not mega168p chips, those would drop into my mega88 project. I have a mega162 project but the pinout differers. Not that I am complaining, or kicking anyone. Samples are good even if I will have to make some sort of board to use them on.

Sounds like the Seattle folk had a good time too. We only talked about the adapter boards. I have a USB project in the works. Such adapter boards would have been useful.

-julie

Quote:
How does one get both ISP and JTAG turned off?
It was probably just the clock fuse messed up, I have had a couple T2313 scrambled by the Dragon last week :(

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:
Quote:
How does one get both ISP and JTAG turned off?
It was probably just the clock fuse messed up, I have had a couple T2313 scrambled by the Dragon last week :(

That is what the presenter thought was wrong. The clock fuse was still set correct. Unless the ISP clock gets whacked and writes bad values.

Was there not something regarding dragons defaulting to a fast ISP speed?

-julie

Quote:
Was there not something regarding dragons defaulting to a fast ISP speed?
This still happens, usually when I do something silly like switching off or unplugging the target without first doing a "stop debug" even if in break mode.
These were just 3 proto boards I was programming an I was too lazy to plug in the AVRISP so I used the Dragon, 1st board OK, 2nd board lost the internal clock, 3rd board ok. I then did some minor fixes to the firmware and had to program the boards again, same thing happens on the 1st board, lost the clock (not the same board as before). I now vaguely remember a few months ago losing the clock on a M48 and had to resort to HVPP but now I thing I may have been using the Dragon also as I was messing aroung with GCC. At the time I blamed the C compiler, what else could it be? I was being punished by the ASM gods for not giving them exclusive worship.. :lol:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au