AVR JTAG ICE MKII now shous up as USB unknown device

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Some time ago I completed a project with AVRStudio and WinAVR, using the AVR JTAG ICE MKII and a ATMEGA32.

I have a new project with an ATMEGA128, and decided to reinstall AVRStudio and WinAVR (after some odd stack configuration problems).

The first time I connected to the MKII, AVRStudio asked me if I wanted to upgrade the firmware (the MKII was connected over USB), I clicked yes. It errored out, and now the MKII shows up as an "unknown device" in device manager. It is like the USB hardware somehow got corrupted on the MKII.

I connected the MKII up by serial and it the upgraded the firmware OK, and can now be used over serial. But even after the firmware upgrade, the USB still shows "unknown device" in device manager.

Do you have any ideas what caused this trouble, or what I can do to fix it?

Thank you for your help.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I'd uninstall Studio then re-install and make sure the "install JTAG USB driver" box is ticked as you re-install.

Cliff

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

baxsie,

How did the upgrade fail, and what color are the JTAGICE mkII leds when you turn it on now? I've never seen a working mkII turning into an "unknown device" before, but upgrades have failed on some devices leaving it in the bootloader section flashing orange.

Tore

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thank you for your replies.

After the USB went wonky, I connected it by RS-232, and I was able to finish the upgrade. I can use it fine under RS-232. I still need to do a complete re-install on another PC to see if it is something software related.

I'll post back when I have the results of that test.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Update: I ordered a new AVR JTAG ICE MKII (I needed a second one any way). I went to install it, but first I opened up the device manager so I could see where the new one would install. And there was the "Jungo" "JTAGICE mkII" for the old device like it used to be before it went wonky. So I disconnected the old one from serial and reconnected on USB. Tried it out and the old one seems to work fine again on USB now.

I guess just my luck with USB. In any case, whatever was wrong fixed itself.

Sorry for the false alarm. Thanks for the help.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Guess atmel should throw the Jungo driver away and write their own... ;) Seems like a lot of people experience glitches when software updating the jtag.