AVR ISPMKII and tiny 808?

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have a genuine ISPMKII programmer. Does the ISPMKII support the tiny808 with UPDI?  I don't believe so, but want to check whether there is an update to allow it.  I've used it with PDI (XMEGA) devices, which is a 2-pin protocol.

If not, what does Digikey/Mouser offer?..It should be supported (recognized) by atmel/microchip studio7. I need to program actual chips installed on a custom circuit board containing a bunch of electronics. 

Note:  I do not have time to "make" a programmer (other than maybe soldering a few wires)...I need to purchase & use

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

Last Edited: Fri. Feb 19, 2021 - 04:27 PM

Atmel ICE supports all AVR's!

(Possum Lodge oath) Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

"I thought growing old would take longer"

I used ISPmk2 for the device program on the production line.
But it doesn't support UPDI so I replaced it with MPLAB SNAP.

Atmel ICE supports all AVR's!

I was hoping for something a bit cheaper, like maybe $50 tops.   Maybe have to bite the $$$ bullet. I don't have time to "wonder" if any "problems" are the programmer or the circuit board, which will arrive soon.

Not sure if snap is usable as a programmer from studio (I know there were some issues way back about mixing PIC programmers & studio together--not recognized,etc ).

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

Last Edited: Fri. Feb 19, 2021 - 04:45 PM

AVR ISP mkII won't do UPDI programming.

+1 for the SNAP.

You will likely have to make your own programming cable, but the SNAP is small, inexpensive, and works within Studio and MPLab.

JC

Thanks for the verification...this has jogged my memory.. I think I ordered  2 snaps around 2 years ago & threw them into a box in a box ..now where they are, is another question....so I may order another  just  in case.

In my case, the software tools on the production line use the same atprogram as ISP mk2.
It has been running for over a year now and has been writing from classic devices to AVR-DA, but no issues have been reported.

Edit:
The production results include the tiny1 series such as tiny414 and tiny1616.
The tiny0 series has not been adopted, but it seems that there is no problem because tiny1 can be used.

Last Edited: Fri. Feb 19, 2021 - 05:16 PM

avrcandies wrote:
I was hoping for something a bit cheaper, like maybe $50 tops.   Maybe have to bite the $$$ bullet.
Can be done for about double the limit.

avrcandies wrote:
(I know there were some issues way back about mixing PIC programmers & studio together--not recognized,etc ).
MPLAB debuggers are factory set for PIC; straightforward to switch these to EDBG for AVR.

MPLAB ICD 4 is only PIC (& etc, no AVR)

Atmel-ICE - Waveshare Wiki

East (on sale) :

Atmel ICE C Kit Powerful development tool for debugging and programming Atmel SAM and AVR microcontrollers ATMEL ICE PCBA inside-in Demo Board from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

West (on sale) :

Cost Effective Original Atmel-ICE-C Kits PCBA Inside Debugger Supports JTAG SWD | eBay

Device Support | MPLAB X IDE v5.45 (AVR begin on page 41)

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

MPLAB X's IPE supports production programming using SNAP or PICKIT4 programmer, although the version I have loaded does not show support for tiny808, but it does for mega808? 

I have v5.40, later version may support the t808.

Jim

(Possum Lodge oath) Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

"I thought growing old would take longer"