AVR ISP MK2 can no longer program Xmega128A4U, but 256A3B are OK

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have recently rebuilt my computer and started with a fresh install of AVR Studio 7.

I have a few projects going, some with Xmega 128A4U and some with Xmega256A3B.

Last night I saw my AVR ISP MKii's got upgraded to version 1.18 software.

At this point, I can read memory and device signature from my 256A3B's but any attempt to work with my 128A4U's produces an error message:

"07:57:35: [ERROR] Failed to enter programming mode. Error status received from tool: Result received is 0x02., ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Device:startSession failed.)"

The other AVRISP MKII unit gets a result received of 0x03.

I have also seen it suggest that I have the programming header reversed several times, which, I do not. 

I see this happen on a brand new Xmega128A4U project I assembled yesterday, but I also see it on an existing PCB which I have developed against for months, that I could easily read and re-program before this latest software.

I am really at a loss. Any clue on what to do to talk to these A4U??

I tried from Atmel Studio 6.2 and see the same things.

Thanks
Mike in Alaska

Wow... I have tried for the last six hours to get around this. I've tried firmware 1.17 and 1.18 (behave the same) on two AVRISP mk2, I've tried from studio 6.2, and studio 7. I tried with and without 10k pullup on the Xmega128A4U reset line.

Both AVRISP mk2 can talk to my 256A3B's. Neither can talk to my 128A4U's.

Some questions:

About the fact that it can always read AVRISP firmware version, and it can always read target voltage correctly -- this means I don't even need to consider anything about which USB port, USB driver, etc. That means USB is fine, right?

Do you think if I ordered an AVR ICE basic that it would be able to talk to the Xmega128A4U? 

I'm at a total loss for ideas.

Mike

The A4U has PDI only while the A3B has both PDI and JTAG.  Which are you using on the A3B?

I'm seeing the same thing using a JTAGICE mkII with an A3B breakout board.  The board has a PDI interface that will only read the target voltage.  It can't enter debugging mode.  If I connect the JTAGICE mkII to an XMEGA-E5 Xplained, which also has a PDI interface, it works fine.  I'm running AS 7 on Windows 8.1.

Greg Muth

Portland, OR, US

Xplained/Pro/Mini Boards mostly

Make Xmega Great Again!

I found this: https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/a3u-pdi-not-starting-d3-pdi-was-working-fine-solution, but I can't find a way to lower the PDI Clk freq.  There is nothing in the AS 7 options that I could find.  Looking at the Project file reveals this:

<com_atmel_avrdbg_tool_jtagicemkii>
      <ToolOptions>
        <InterfaceProperties>
        </InterfaceProperties>
        <InterfaceName>PDI</InterfaceName>
      </ToolOptions>
      <ToolType>com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.jtagicemkii</ToolType>
      <ToolNumber>070000006212</ToolNumber>
      <ToolName>JTAGICE mkII</ToolName>
    </com_atmel_avrdbg_tool_jtagicemkii>

but I don't know the name of the interface property for setting the PDI Clk frequency.  (PdiClkFrequency?)

Greg Muth

Portland, OR, US

Xplained/Pro/Mini Boards mostly

Make Xmega Great Again!

VERY interesting and I will try that shortly. I would gladly slow my PDI interface way down... except there is no option to do so in the "Interface Settings" for the AVRISP Mk II. Is there another place in a config file somewhere I could edit it?

What really bugs me is that I used this A4U board for months to develop software and it worked fine with AS6.2 and former AVRISP firmware.

Last Edited: Sun. Dec 13, 2015 - 08:47 PM

I am only using PDI on both. It's been a while but isn't the JTAG disabled in fuses? I can't even work with the fuses though to disable it. Funny enough the A3B which works great for me is on a noisy breadboard and the A4U's are both on PCB.

Last Edited: Sun. Dec 13, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I've tried different computers, different firmwares, different AVR Studios. I cannot program 128A4U's, period.  256A3B's work.

I went ahead and ordered an AVR ICE and an ?Olimex? programmer. What do you think the odds are one of those will work?

Last Edited: Mon. Dec 14, 2015 - 02:52 AM

deathcow wrote:
... and an ?Olimex? programmer. What do you think the odds are one of those will work?
Browsing the Olimex forum might answer your question.

There are other LUFA-based programmers; one of which is by MattairTech :

https://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/development-boards/zeptoprog-ii.html

The Olimex forum is mentioned, and, another possible cause (search for "timeout").

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

> There are other LUFA-based programmers;

Thanks, I will order one of those also if one of these new ones does not work. It will be easier for me to try every programmer under the sun instead of redesign.