AVR Dragon firmware upgrade failed on V6.1.2730

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Just upgraded to the newest version 6.1.2730 SP 2 and AVRDragon firmware upgrade fails. with "AVR Dragon firmware upgrade failed. Toggle power on tool and retry upgrade".
Has anyone else had this problem?

[edit]
I tried reinstalling the previous version and it asked for an upgrade also whereas it worked before so I'm assuming enough of the upgrade on the newer version worked just enough to screw it up....arg

Additionally I can no longer program the ATmega1280 using avrdude either I get the stk500_getsync() error.
I've checked my device drivers and they are all current, I even uninstalled then plugged the ATMega1280 back in and it installed correctly. The UART0 which uses the usb also works from a program I previously had on there that communicated with the PC. Very odd!, anybody see a pattern or something I'm missing?

Yes I know the Dragon using Jungo and looking in the "Devices and Printers" section the entry for ARV Dragon is now AVRDLDR which if I read right from a previous post here on AVRFreaks means the application section has been erase and the ARVBLDR is the boot loader.
[/edit]

Happy Trails,

Mike

JaxCoder.com

Quote:
Just upgraded to the newest version 6.1.2730 SP 2
It seems that SP2 has a propensity to break thing. :(
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

And a few more since it came out about a month ago, yesterday I downgraded to SP1.1, you may need to download a program to downgrade the Dragon as it may not be visible anymore after the downgrade.

Of course you can also wait until it gets fixed in SP2. :?

edit firmware downgrader here https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Thanks js
Looks like there are a lot of problems with this SP hopefully they will get it fixed quick.
I got totally frustrated yesterday as I spent the whole day putting out fires like this one and got very little done.

Happy Trails,

Mike

JaxCoder.com

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I still can't update my Dragon!

Happy Trails,

Mike

JaxCoder.com

Sorry for raising an old thread, but it's still a problem.

Ditto for this version.
I've tried 6.2, 6.1, 5.0, and 4.18.
I've also tried the command-line tools.

The 4.18 version of the firmware updater is the _only_ one that did anything to the device without crashing. Now, I have no firmware.

How do you flash a dragon?

I solved my issue with a bad AtmelStudio automatic upgrade of AVR Dragon Firmware.  I manually upgraded the firmware with the atfw.exe tool.

The atfw.exe tool is in the \Program Files[+" (86)" if win64]\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.2 [replace 6.2 w your AS version number]\atbackend\atfw.exe

The dragon_fw.zip firmware file is in \Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.2\tools\AVRDragon\dragon_fw.zip

I copied the dragon_fw.zip file into the \atbackend directory for ease.

Then use this command on windows terminal command line "atfw.exe -t avrdragon -a dragon_fw.zip"

It successfully updated the firmware.

Seems if AtmelStudio fails on first try to upgrade the firmware it doesn't attempt to do it again.

- Eric

Thank you! Worked like a charm. My dragon failed the upgrade and then constantly rebooted whenever I tried using it. This solved it beautifully :)

Hi, I ran into the same issue with AvrStudio 7 on Windows 10, using a powered hub. Your instructions saved my life (for today).

That atfw utility managed to go into usable state and the second attempt (brave!) worked on AvrStudio 7 by luck. Just by luck, it seems.

I now successfully programmed a device and debugged.

Thanks!!

Worked for me as well. About to trash two (older) Dragons. Thanks for saving me the HW.