AVR 8515 interconnection

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I want to get two of these devices and put them together to make a 16-bit unit out of two 8-bit units. Can this be possible through a Master-Slave connection, or what else can do this to get a good 16-bit system?

admin's test signature

You can´t build up a 16-bit system just by connecting two 8-bit systems. It´s a matter of the avr-core. Hope i got your question right??

admin's test signature

Hi M.,

you can do 16-bit calculations also on 8-bit machines. But only with using 2 or more 8-bit instructions.
So the only difference was, that 16-bit calculations are done faster on 16-bit machines.

Also the AVR has no multiprocessor capability. So its unable to use the same code and data memory.
But you can execute different tasks on several AVRs, which are connected together e.g. over the UART.

Peter

I've been thinking about this since I saw the post initially.

1) you can't make it do anything like 16 bit math since for that you would need external access to carry bits and things like that to parallel the cpus into a larger bandwidth.

2) there are things you can do.

a) two cpus sharing tasks in an overall system - much like the keyboard controller in a regular pc takes load off the main cpu.

b) two cpus acting as peers sharing a data bus. One could be the i/o controller, and the other could be around to do the more complex calculations.

c) same as b, but one controlling a complex interface such as ethernet, and the other controlling the i/o pins to the device, and talking together on a spi bus or something.

admin's test signature