Availability of AT90CAN32/64

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi - I just spotted these CAN AVRs on Atmel's website. Does anybody know anything about when they will be available and approximate pricing for them? I'd like to use CAN AVRs on a current project - but 6x$16 for 6 AT90CAN128s makes it somewhat cost prohibitive.

Hi,
the AT90CAN128 is already available in mass-production, cost around 7 Euros for medium quantities, double it for small quantities.
rgds
rolf

SpoerleRolf wrote:
Hi,
the AT90CAN128 is already available in mass-production, cost around 7 Euros for medium quantities, double it for small quantities.
rgds
rolf

Right - but I'm more interested in the smaller, cheaper AVRs... Hasn't anybody heard anything about them yet?

A month later - still no word on these chips. Will distributors be getting them in anytime soon? Any pricing information on them yet?

Also - are there any plans for any other AVRs with CAN? An AT90CAN48/88/168 (MEGA48/88/168 w/ CAN) would be the best thing since sliced bread from my standpoint.

Quote:
Nantes, France, December 13, 2005 . . . Atmel® Corporation (Nasdaq: ATML), a global leader in the development and fabrication of advanced semiconductor solutions, announced today the introduction of the AT90CAN32 and the AT90CAN64, ...
AT90CAN32/64 samples are available now in TQFP and QFN 64-pin packages in industrial temperature range. AT90CAN32 production volumes are expected in December 2005, and in March 2006 for the AT90CAN64. Pricing for 10,000-units is $4.5 per unit for the AT90CAN32, and will be $5 for the AT90CAN64.

So, since it is now 2006 they MUST be available, right? :)

But it soulds like they should be sampling. Have you asked your rep for samples? Your disti (who will contact the rep)? Atmel directly? Ask for samples of each of the 3 flavours to "compare"; theat should give you enough chips for your project. :)

Also if you have a tame rep/disti they may tell you who is heavy production useres of the chip(s) in your territory. You can try contacting the big user and see if they have some "leftovers" for the little user. I've done this with a couple of hard-to-get samples in the past. "Big User" got like 20 samples but was only going to use a few and was happy to part with a few to us.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

theusch wrote:
Quote:
Nantes, France, December 13, 2005 . . . Atmel® Corporation (Nasdaq: ATML), a global leader in the development and fabrication of advanced semiconductor solutions, announced today the introduction of the AT90CAN32 and the AT90CAN64, ...
AT90CAN32/64 samples are available now in TQFP and QFN 64-pin packages in industrial temperature range. AT90CAN32 production volumes are expected in December 2005, and in March 2006 for the AT90CAN64. Pricing for 10,000-units is $4.5 per unit for the AT90CAN32, and will be $5 for the AT90CAN64.

So, since it is now 2006 they MUST be available, right? :)

But it soulds like they should be sampling. Have you asked your rep for samples? Your disti (who will contact the rep)? Atmel directly? Ask for samples of each of the 3 flavours to "compare"; theat should give you enough chips for your project. :)

Also if you have a tame rep/disti they may tell you who is heavy production useres of the chip(s) in your territory. You can try contacting the big user and see if they have some "leftovers" for the little user. I've done this with a couple of hard-to-get samples in the past. "Big User" got like 20 samples but was only going to use a few and was happy to part with a few to us.

Lee

I have had mixed experiences with Atmel and samples - the first time I did a sample request (for an AVR, I can't remember which) I never heard anything back and never recieved anything. More recently I requested samples of an AT91 chip - and I never heard anything and eventually got the samples through a more direct source - and then about 5 or 6 weeks after my sample request I recieved the originally requested samples in the mail. Very odd. But anyways - I just did a sample request - here's to hoping I hear something back on it. Luckily I'm not in too big of a hurry as I still have quite a lot of work to do on programming that ARM board before I can even really think about the 6 connecting AT90CAN boards.