ATZB-900-ZB question

Go To Last Post
19 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi there,

I want to use the ATZB-900-B0 module to handle multisensor application. I have a couple of questions. Does anybody out there have the experience and would like to help me?

1st: Is it a good idea to include the application software within the module's MCU (ATMega1281)?
2nd: If I keep the data rate below 20KBit/s, what would be the maximum number of nodes in a segment?
3rd: Where/how can I get the AT command set for the ATZB-900-B0?

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

User of:
IAR Embedded Workbench C/C++ Compiler
Altium Designer

icarus1 wrote:
1st: Is it a good idea to include the application software within the module's MCU (ATMega1281)?

Why not?

icarus1 wrote:
2nd: If I keep the data rate below 20KBit/s, what would be the maximum number of nodes in a segment?

Depends on how often they will send data.

icarus1 wrote:
3rd: Where/how can I get the AT command set for the ATZB-900-B0?

Embedded part in BitCloud release. Documentation: http://meshnetics.com/netcat_fil...(SerialNet%20AT-Command%20Set%20Reference%20Manual).pdf

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru,

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

Dear freaks,

Does anybody know if ATZB-900-B0 ZigBit module supports AT commands in SPI mode? The datasheet only refers to UART and I2C.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

icarus1 wrote:
Does anybody know if ATZB-900-B0 ZigBit module supports AT commands in SPI mode? The datasheet only refers to UART and I2C.

Which datasheet it is? USART only, not even i2c.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

Yes, you must be right, only USART. Thanks for that.

Also I would like to ask something more. It's my first time of using the ZigBee technology, so forgive me if some of my questions look silly.

I need to use this module, in order to make separate devices of a network, talk to each other. If any device of the network is out of link range with another one, the data frame must be carried, by others in order to be sent to the final receiver (I think they call it "mesh"). Is this possible using the AT commands or there must be a network knowledge background?

Thanks for the help.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

icarus1 wrote:
Is this possible using the AT commands or there must be a network knowledge background?

This will work out of the box. If there is path from one node to another BitCloud will find it :)

Yes, for sure there will be a path from one node to another. This is very nice.

I didn't solder the modules yet, but I believe that there must be the needed software inside them or I have to do download it myself?

Thanks for your ultra fast support.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

icarus1 wrote:
I didn't solder the modules yet, but I believe that there must be the needed software inside them or I have to do download it myself?

Modules come with serial bootloader preprogrammed. You'll have to download SDK and flash SerialNet.srec image using PC-part of bootloader (all included in SDK).

alexru,

Thank you for all.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

Sorry,

There is something I didn't understand. You said that all modules come with a serial bootloader application inside. This is ok.

My question is: Is the ZigBee program inside the modules. If I connect a host uC to control the module via AT commands, will it have any effect or I have to download anything in the module before doing this?

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

Like I said: You'll have to download SDK from atmel.com and flash SerialNet.srec image into the module using PC-part of bootloader (all included in SDK).

Dear alexru,

Here is the datasheet of the ATZB-900-B0:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resourc...

At page 16 the typical schematic reference is shown.

As I told you before, I need to control the ATZB-900-B0 via AT Commands from an external host uC, using the UART port (RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS), like the datasheet says.

Question 1:
Is this all the HW I need to copy in order to:
1. Download the ZigBee SW inside the module and
2. To control the module via AT commands.

Question 2:

Quote:
Like I said: You'll have to download SDK from atmel.com and flash SerialNet.srec image into the module using PC-part of bootloader (all included in SDK).

Which pins are used for the ZigBee SW downloading?
1. JTag Inteface (JTag programming) or
2. UART Port (pin13 and pin14)

Sorry again if my questions are silly.

Michael

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

icarus1 wrote:
Is this all the HW I need to copy in order to:
1. Download the ZigBee SW inside the module and
2. To control the module via AT commands.

Yes, that's all. In fact you may even omit CTS/RTS signals if you don't need hardware flow control. It is not used by bootloader and can be disabled in SerialNet.

I would still recommend to make JTAG connector accessible, just in case...

icarus1 wrote:
Which pins are used for the ZigBee SW downloading?

USART should be enough.

Alex,

Thanks for your help.
Best regards to Moscow.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

Alex,

Hallo there.

Do you know if the internal ATMega1281 (inside the module) EEPROM is assesible via AT Commands from the host controller?

This time I am designing the schematic circuit. The host microcontroller is an NEC 8 bit without internal EEPROM. I need to know if an external EEPORM is needed ot I can use the module's?

Thanks.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

It is not accessible, put external EEPROM.

Hallo Alex,

I would like to know if the ATZB-900-B0 have ever used or is suitable for street lighting monitoring application. I am talking for both in city or highway lighting.

Thanks.

Michael.

User of:
Altium Designer

icarus1 wrote:
I would like to know if the ATZB-900-B0 have ever used or is suitable for street lighting monitoring application.

I don't know if there are any real setups like this. For me conditions look perfect - modules will be in the line of sight (especially on the highway), they are stationary.

The only problem I see here is that maximum network depth is limited to 10 hops. This gives you 20 hops from one side to another. With 500m distance for one hope (depends on conditions, but achievable) this gives 10 km (on a direct line) maximum distance for one network. Then you'll have to make gateway or something like this.

Depending on application there may be protocols better suited for it instead of ZigBee, but the module itself from technical point of view looks perfect for me.

What kind of data expected in the network, amounts of data?