ATWILC1000-SD Evaluation Code

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Where do I find code for using ATWILC1000 module?

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Fri. Dec 9, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone from Atmel read these posts?

How do I use this module when there is no evaluation code to reverse engineer/modify(I have checked ASF).

I can't find any details on it's API interface so writing it from scratch is out of the question.

I don't have microscopic x-ray vision so I cant figure out how it physically works.

I don't know anyone that knows how to use it, based on this post I'm wondering if anyone knows.

I try Atmel's former competitor Microchip and it's MRF24WN0MA module,​ again no API documentation(Harmony code somewhere).

I find a post in Microchip forum asking the same question heading "MRF24WN0MA SPI API document"

How does anyone sell something that cant be used?

How do they make money of something that cant be sold?

What even is IOT besides marketing?

What can IOT do the internet cant?

What am I missing?

this should solve on starting with WILC1000 

http://www.atmel.com/images/atme...

I'havent worked much on wilc1000, it was just a google search i did

This reply has been marked as the solution. 
Total votes: 1

Thanks, yes I have seen that unfortunately I'm not using an operating system so wasn't much help.

I have since created a support ticket with Atmel.

The SPI interface documentation is in the "ATWILC1000 SPI Software Design User Guide"

And there are a couple of Samples in ASF unfortunately not for AVR. The trick is to ensure you have checked ARM during installation of Atmel Studio otherwise searching for the samples and component in ASF returns nothing.

So it would seem I have a challenge of porting the ARM driver to AVR.

Fun times!

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 25, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hi savman, I'm considering using this WiFi module in combination with a microcontroller, did you succeed in porting the ARM driver to AVR?

Don't do it! No, I haven't sad. When I looked at the ARM sample code I found it was heavily reliant on FreeRTOS, kind of killed it for me!

Plus I haven't had time to nut out the "ATWILC1000 SPI Software Design User Guide"

What I can suggest is using the bypass mode of ATWINC1500 module instead, the sample code doesn't rely on FreeRTOS.

I struggle with why Microchip would recommend ATWINC1500 in Bypass over ATWILC1000?

Also why Microchip can't provide support for connecting either of them to their own AVR microcontrollers...

I am currently back working on this project, using ATWINC1500 looks promising.

Last Edited: Fri. Jun 1, 2018 - 10:26 PM