ATtiny3216 user manual?

Go To Last Post
18 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi, I cannot find any ATtiny3216 / 17 data sheet.  The "Device Documentation" section of https://www.microchip.com/wwwpro... doesn't point to a data sheet, and the other sections don't have a pointer either; just hundreds of application notes, brochures, quick guides, etc.

Thanks for any hints.

avrfreaks does not support Opera. Profile inactive.

Well, it does say "Future Product" on that product page.

One guess is they just bulk-transferred all the AN links, but that the data sheet isn't finished yet?

Or they just scr*wed up again..

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I think no 32KB xtiny actually exists yet. And for the 2KB series, I only find the tiny214.

hmm, ok.

That such a device doesn't exists doesn't actually matter in the case I am after. It's for adding support to the avrtest core simulator, and usually I am picking a device with maximum of memory in the respective family.  In this case the "family" is xmega + flash seen in RAM address range, hence an upper limit of 32KiB for flash.

As far as the RAM layout is concerned, there's complete freedom as to taylor it.  It's just a simulator, hence up to 32KiB RAM is the best choice (because more RAM leads to fewer gcc test suite fails).

So well, maybe I don't even need a data sheet because the memory layout doesn't even matter (and avrtest is already a bit fuzz about instruction timings).

Last Edited: Mon. Jan 22, 2018 - 01:09 PM
Total votes: 1

The ATtiny3217 and ATtiny3216 are not public yet. This is a part of the "new" Microchip regime: Toolchain and simulator support might be released early, but the public release will happen when it's available for ordering.

The Attiny3217/16 will be drop-in replacements for ATtiny1617/16 and ATtiny817/16, just with more flash and RAM.

je_ruud wrote:
The Attiny3217/16 will be drop-in replacements for ATtiny1617/16 and ATtiny817/16, just with more flash and RAM.

With 32k of flash wouldn't the device qualify more as a (x)Mega?

I would think that a "Tiny" device would be a low pin count/low flash size...the "biggest" Tiny IMNSHO would be a Tiny1634

Jim

If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue! - Kartman

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Total votes: 1

je_ruud wrote:
The ATtiny3217 and ATtiny3216 are not public yet. This is a part of the "new" Microchip regime: Toolchain and simulator support might be released early, but the public release will happen when it's available for ordering.
I understand this for everyone else in the world APART from SprinterSB! Do you not think that the person who almost undoubtedly could be described as the "chief engineer" for avr-gcc (the generic bit - not the device specific bit) should be given some kind of special insight to what's coming so the core parts of the compiler can be prepared (if necessary) for it?

Well, from my tests with physical chips, I can tell you that the SRAM is aliased from 0x1800 to 0x7FFF so they can support a maximum of 26KB SRAM with this architecture.

My tiny1614 has 2KB SRAM that is aliased 13 times in that 26KB block.

You can also get some info from the current avrdude.conf which is updated including the future chips: http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/view...

For example, that file contains the base address of the on-chip debugger peripheral, which is not listed in the datasheets.

jgmdesign wrote:

I would think that a "Tiny" device would be a low pin count/low flash size...the "biggest" Tiny IMNSHO would be a Tiny1634

I've give up trying to figure out the ways of marketing. Currently it seems that pin count is the differential factor.

clawson wrote:

Do you not think that the person who almost undoubtedly could be described as the "chief engineer" for avr-gcc (the generic bit - not the device specific bit) should be given some kind of special insight to what's coming so the core parts of the compiler can be prepared (if necessary) for it?

There is a team in Microchip working with GCC, and they have contributed changes needed for some of the new devices. I would expect SprinterSB knows how to get in touch with them if he needs some information. But if not I'll be more than happy to assist in setting up a connection.

SprinterSB, please send me a message if you think I could be of any assistance.

-Jan Egil

The compiler support has been added some time ago as https://gcc.gnu.org/PR81072 .  It differs a bit[tm] from Microchip's in that it pops up 2 new multilib variants as avrxmega3. See also the v8 release notes at https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/change... .

Skimming the device descriptions and specs found on the net and available data sheets was enough to add the devices to gcc and describe the multilibs, but I have to admit that at one point I got quite confused and misled by a typo in the manuals (already fixed by now IIRC) and marketing speek stating "binary upward compatibe" devices...

AFAIK Mircochip don't introduce any Binutils changes, whereas I decided to use a new emulation (in order to have an own linker script for avrxmega3 with .rodata in flash). https://sourceware.org/PR21472 .  Microchip won't need such a change as they are using avrxmega2 for these devices and .rodata in RAM.

On AVR-LibC, Microchip would need some more additions to cater for different vector sizes in crt*.o (as they are using avrxmega2).  Moreover I only added avrxmega3 support but not a single device.  That stuff is usually copyrighted, including generated files, so I won't even consider using anything thereof or waste a single second on it.  Device support is contributed by Cristian Balint and currently under review, cf. https://savannah.nongnu.org/patc...

Re. the topic of the current thread, I was just confused of the ATtiny3216 site not having a pointer to a data sheet; assuming I was missing something, or something was lost during the Atmel demise.

Last Edited: Mon. Jan 22, 2018 - 05:49 PM

SprinterSB wrote:

Microchip won't need such a change as they are using avrxmega2 for these devices and .rodata in RAM.

We used avrxmega2 in the beginning for these devices, but have changed to avrxmega3.

Just a question about SRAM location of ATtiny1614/16/17.  Atmel specs file have data start at 0x3800 whereas the datat sheet has 0x3c00.  The RAM usually ends at 0x4000 and all other devices from that family have a RAM / Flash quotient of 0x0.1, except these devices (assuming the value from specs) which seems odd.

Maybe it doesn't actually matter because the memory is mirrored, but it's still confusing...

Oh, it's a datasheet error. After all, from 0x3c00 to 0x3fff it's only 1k of memory, but the ATtiny1614/16/17 have 2k. The correct page for access is 0x3800 to 0x3fff, but let the Atm... Microchip guys confirm that.

ATtiny1614/16/17 has 2kB SRAM. There is an update to the datasheet in progress which has corrected the start address to 0x3800. The ATDF file is correct.

EDIT:  Aaargh. Too late.

Last Edited: Tue. Jan 23, 2018 - 10:43 AM

Gotcha!

Thanks.

Maybe someone could confirm the avrxmega3 devices and that no typo slipped through.  The SRAM column is the third-last.

https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/...

Sorry for the late answer.

Number looks fine to me.

-Jan Egil

Thanks!