ATTiny1616....My new goto AVR for "tiny' applications?

Go To Last Post
62 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

Just throwing this up for opinions.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloa...

I was introduced to the above mentioned AVR by a fellow freak, and looked the device up on Digikey.  For under a $1.00 you get quite a few nice features...

Three 16bit timers

One 12bit timer

One USART

Master/Slave SPI

Master/Slave I2C

Custom Logic block

Three Analog Comparators

Two ADC

Three 8bit DACs

Five Internal references

All for under $1.00usd.

I am going to try one out in a very simple Temperature sensor project using an LM75 temp sensor and a MAX485.  I am putting the sensor out in the garage, and connecting the project to my Crestron system for Display.

This looks like a very versatile AVR that I could possibly use to replace/upgrade some existing designs that used outboard IC's for things this has internally.

Jim

P.S.  I am still not used to seeing the word MICROCHIP in the URL for an AVR crying

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Looks like fun, but really, would it kill them to offer a 20 and/or 24-pin skinny DIP version?  *sigh*

I like the number of timers, though.  I was working on a gizmo that needed four timers and used a tiny2313 - Much repurposing and reconfiguring of timer control ensued.  S.

jgmdesign wrote:
I was introduced to the above mentioned AVR by a fellow freak
That would be me!  No sense of modesty here.  Great choice Jim.

One of the best features of the ATtiny1616 is EVSYS - event system, imagine an event system on an xtiny, it alone makes this chip a winner!

14.           EVSYS - Event System

14.1               Features

•        System for direct peripheral-to-peripheral signaling

•        Peripherals can directly produce, use, and react to peripheral events

•        Short and guaranteed response time

•        Up to six parallel Event channels available; 4 asynchronous- and 2 synchronous

•        Channels can be configured to have one triggering peripheral action and multiple peripheral users

•        Peripherals can directly trigger and react to Events from other peripherals

•        Events can be sent and/or received by most peripherals, and by software

•        Works in active mode and standby sleep mode

14.2               Overview

The Event System (EVSYS) enables direct peripheral-to-peripheral signaling. It allows a change in one peripheral (the Event Generator) to trigger actions in other peripherals (the Event Users) through Event channels, without using the CPU. It is designed to provide short and predictable response times between peripherals, allowing for autonomous peripheral control and interaction, and also for synchronized timing of actions in several peripheral modules. It is thus a powerful tool for reducing the complexity, size, and execution time of the software.

A change of the Event Generator's state is referred to as an Event, and usually corresponds to one of the peripheral's interrupt conditions. Events can be directly forwarded to other peripherals using the dedicated Event routing network. The routing of each channel is configured in software, including event generation and use.

Only one trigger from an Event generator peripheral can be routed on each channel, but multiple channels can use the same generator source. Multiple peripherals can use events from the same channel.

A channel path can be either asynchronous or synchronous to the main clock. The mode must be selected based on the requirements of the application.

The Event System can directly connect analog and digital converters, analog comparators, I/O port pins, the real-time counter, timer/counters, and the configurable custom logic peripheral. Events can also be

from software and the peripheral clock.

And as was said in another thread

SprinterSB wrote:
xtiny is xmega.  The "tiny" only refers to the footprint.
snigelen wrote:
and they can do 5V! That's more than an XMega can do! (It's kind of handy, and many of the ARM's at least tolerate 5V).
There are other features that Jim did not include in his feature list above that add even more value to this chip and chip family.  Take a look at the datasheet, I do believe that you too will be impressed.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Thu. Dec 21, 2017 - 07:54 AM

Scroungre wrote:
Looks like fun, but really, would it kill them to offer a 20 and/or 24-pin skinny DIP version?  *sigh*
Soldering one of these onto an SOIC-20 adapter is not all that difficult to accomplish.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

I am going to try one out in a very simple Temperature sensor project using an LM75 temp sensor and a MAX485

Why not use the temperature sensor that is built into the chip:  (usually they aren't too good, or need some serious cal...but hey, a freebie)

30.3.2.6 Temperature Measurement

The temperature measurement is based on an on-chip temperature sensor. For a temperature

measurement, follow these steps:

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

What is the programming interface? Can you program it with a Dragon? Yes, I know that I could look it up....

West Coast Jim

Jim Wagner Oregon Research Electronics, Consulting Div. Tangent, OR, USA http://www.orelectronics.net

Programming interface is UPDI. I do not believe the Dragon supports this

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

OK.

I can think of several projects where this one would be very useful. Event System, DACs, lots of big timers.

Thanks

Jim

Jim Wagner Oregon Research Electronics, Consulting Div. Tangent, OR, USA http://www.orelectronics.net

Does anyone have a sense of the latency through the Event System. Is it "just logic" or is it clocked? Thinking of period measurements using a comparator and one of the 16 bit timers. Yes, I looked at the spec sheet but it did not jump out at me.

Jim

larryvc wrote:

Scroungre wrote:
Soldering one of these onto an SOIC-20 adapter is not all that difficult to accomplish.

QFNs are easy to solder.

The largest known prime number: 282589933-1

It's easy to stop breaking the 10th commandment! Break the 8th instead. 

QFNs are easy to solder.

They sure are- I can connect all the pins together with one (large) drop of solder! Done it several times without fail. crying

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

ka7ehk wrote:
Does anyone have a sense of the latency through the Event System. Is it "just logic" or is it clocked?

Jim!

I've only been browsing the 1616 dat sheet for some minutes, but it immediately struck me that the event system is at least similar to the one in the SAM Cortex-M0's. If so then I believe it is clocked - but I'm not definitively sure on this.

OTOH, there is this from the sheet:

The EVSYS uses the peripheral clock for I/O registers and software events. When set up correctly, the routing network can be used also in sleep modes without any clock. Software Events will not work in sleep modes where the peripheral clock is halted.

So, there are hardware events and software events. The latter will work while sleeping, with no clock running. But this might simply mean that the hardware event can wake up the device, clock(s) starts running and still might be needed by the event system.

I suspect that the event system is something that Atmochip is re-using between micro-controller families, and if they are similar enough then any experienced SAM C/D, UC3 or Xmega user should be able to clear this up. I've not been into the event system on the SAM D (yet) but IIRC it is clocked.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Hmm....So the uart can signal the timer, or maybe the TWI can signal to the SPI ...are there many wonderful uses for this event system, or is it mostly to save power?  I'm wondering how it has been put to good use (or where it was necessary to use it)

So is it the case that you have to own an Atmel-ICE to program a 1616?

One example of the Event System is to couple two, 16-bit (Timer)/Counters into a 32-bit (Timer)/Counter.

The Event System handles this in the background.

No ISR is required, No ISR overhead is needed, and there is No interruption in the main code.

JC

Edit: Typo

clawson wrote:

That is a good question I haven't really taken seriously enough, now that you ask..

I've been seriously thinking of getting the SOIC top card for the STK600, and a routing board for the 1616. There is a routing card listed as supporting the 1616 here, but if the STK600 actually can not program it then then the STK600 is essentially reduced to a power & clock supply, and a breakout board.

I've not ben exposed to any of those new(ish) programming protocols, having just used "only" ISP, debugWire and JTAG. Need to dig..

EDIT: The webdoc says STK600 does UPDI.

So you'd need an Atmel.ICE, or an STK-600.

Also, the product page for the 1616 lists, under Development Tools the ATtiny817 Xplained Mini and the ATtiny817 Xplained Pro. Either that is just bad web data or the 817 is similar enough to the 1616 to be a viable development and evaluation option. The Pro has a UPDI header bnut the Users Guide is explicit that it's for attaching an external debugger to the Pro. The Mini has an unpopulated header J101 that might be UPDI, but nothing is said about it in the Users Guide - and it's not likely it is the "host" side of a debugging connection..

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Last Edited: Thu. Dec 21, 2017 - 10:43 PM

STK600 can program UPDI devices. For debugging you need a Xplained Pro, Xplained Mini, Power Debugger or Atmel-ICE.

(and of course, anyone with a TTL com port can program)

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Last Edited: Thu. Dec 21, 2017 - 10:43 PM

meolsen wrote:
For debugging you need a Xplained Pro, Xplained Mini [..]

Xplained Pro what?

Xplained Mini what?

The product page lists no such boards with a 1616 on-board.

(See my edit addendum above.)

This thread is my first attempt to learn anything about the Tiny1616. So, I am pretty clueless about this one.

Just looked at the Microchip Tiny1616 page, and it gives me no information about what other devices this one is related to! When I look up Xplained Mini 1616, I get directed to Xplained Mini 817.

Help! What is related to what? Which Xplained board really supports the Tiny1616? Even East Coast Jim's link in message #1 goes to the spec sheet for Tiny1614, 1616, 1617 but, at least on the first two pages, there is nothing that shows what the distinction is. Would assume from this that an 817 is a 1617 with 8K of memory. Fair enough, but HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM 1616? OK, OK, maybe it is on page 10! But, are pin counts and memory size the ONLY distinguishing features?

Just a bit frustrated...

West Coast Jim

Last Edited: Thu. Dec 21, 2017 - 11:01 PM

meolsen wrote:
STK600 can program UPDI devices.

Can you also tell us where to get the routing card for the STK600?  The one in the support page seems to be made of unobtanium.  I want to buy two of them if possible.

East Coast Jim

JohanEkdahl wrote:

meolsen wrote:

Xplained Pro what?

Xplained Mini what?

Maybe we don't have Xplained kits for the 1616? (EDBG + mEDBG supports UPDI)

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloa..., chapter 1 tinyAVR 1-Series shows the current series.

jgmdesign wrote:

meolsen wrote:

Can you also tell us where to get the routing card for the STK600?  The one in the support page seems to be made of unobtanium.  I want to buy two of them if possible.

East Coast Jim

Hmmmm, no... I would send that question to support to get a good answer smiley

jgmdesign wrote:

meolsen wrote:

East Coast Jim

See John's recent post and my reply to it. (loathing how difficult it is to do anything useful here from a phone)

#1 This forum helps those that help themselves

#2 All grounds are not created equal

#3 How have you proved that your chip is running at xxMHz?

#4 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand." - Heater's ex-boss

Brian Fairchild wrote:
See John's recent post and my reply to it. (loathing how difficult it is to do anything useful here from a phone)

Where?

meolsen wrote:
Hmmmm, no... I would send that question to support to get a good answer 

If I could get that to work.

Jim

jgmdesign wrote:
Brian Fairchild wrote:

Where?

Johan's recent thread.  Leading you in circles...  https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 01:58 AM

John = Johan....I get it. Now.  When someone says John I am thinking JS

I'll try and open a support ticket with whomever.....

JIm

Total votes: 1

When someone says John I am thinking JS

...and just to let you know I'm happily married......

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Maybe we don't have Xplained kits for the 1616?

According to the product page: No.

But obviously I got hold of an old version of the 817 data sheet, because there the nice family diagram for the AVR 1-series didn't list the 1616.

(OTOH, the current 817 data sheet has even more family members  than the current 1616 data sheet..)

clawson wrote:

No, but it is much easier to use.  El Tangas has a work in progress of an Arduino based UPDI programmer that translates the STK500v2 protocol to the UPDI protocol    https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...

meolsen wrote:

JohanEkdahl wrote:

meolsen wrote:

Xplained Pro what?

Xplained Mini what?

Maybe we don't have Xplained kits for the 1616? (EDBG + mEDBG supports UPDI)

We do not have an Xplained board for the ATtiny1616, and recommend the ATtiny817 Xplained Pro for now. We currently have no plans make any boards for the smaller variants (pin count), as the smaller devices are functionally compatible with the ATtinyx17. We will however release a board for a larger memory variants early next year.

Jacob

One example of the Event System is to couple two, 16-bit (Timer)/Counters into a 32-bit (Timer)/Counter.

The Event System handles this in the background.

Thanks Doc, that is a good example of how it might be useful. 

Jacob wrote:
  We do not have an Xplained board for the ATtiny1616, and recommend the ATtiny817 Xplained Pro for now. We currently have no plans make any boards for the smaller variants (pin count), as the smaller devices are functionally compatible with the ATtinyx17. We will however release a board for a larger memory variants early next year.

Ok Jacob, can you maybe tell us where we can get the routing card for the STK600 that supports the Tiny1616?  Johan and I are looking with no success for it on the web.

The part number is:  STK600-RC020T-104

Thanks,

Jim

BTW does this "tiny" support MUL or not? IOW is it really a "tiny"?

jgmdesign wrote:
Ok Jacob, can you maybe tell us where we can get the routing card for the STK600 that supports the Tiny1616?  Johan and I are looking with no success for it on the web.   The part number is:  STK600-RC020T-104

Jim!

Just in case we (I?) have mis-communicated: In that other thread, Brian pointed to a very likely candidate. The part-number, while not identical with the one in the device support table is very similar - especially if you consider the "104" as the significant part.

I am half/half assuming part numbers got updated in the move from Atmel to Microchip, but the device support table wasn't updated. Still, it would be great if this was confirmed.

I'll probably hold off on the SOIC top and routing card in my upcoming order. There are some discounts I'd like to take advantage of that expire RSN, but if the routing card proved not to be the one for the 1616 then that throwaway would eat up the discount.

(One thing that got better with MicrochipDirect compared to the old Atmel shop is that shipping is less expensive. Not quite the same need for a extremely well planned order now.. But I sure wished there would be a cheap "surface mail" alternative for, say, small orders (padded envelope) of value under $100 or so with the understanding that I take my chances (no insurance) and wait in the dark (no tracking). E.g. the flat boxes that the Xplained boards come in ought to fit a padded envelope. OTOH, Microchip Direct perhaps don't want the hobbyists shopping. No economy/profit in it?)

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 04:21 PM

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Jim! Just in case we (I?) have mis-communicated: In that other thread, Brian pointed to a very likely candidate. The part-number, while not identical with the one in the device support table is very similar - especially if you consider the "104" as the significant part.

Johan,

How many times in the world of electronics has 'Similar' come up and it not be the case?  One letter in a part number can make the difference between an SMD part and a large through hole part.  'Similar' part numbers, but worlds apart(no pun)

Considering Routing cards are not pocket change, I would like to know the exact part number.  Returns can cost more than the part.

Thats just me though....

JIm

clawson wrote:

BTW does this "tiny" support MUL or not? IOW is it really a "tiny"?

Yes, RTM ;-)

From my post #3 above;

And as was said in another thread

SprinterSB wrote:

xtiny is xmega.  The "tiny" only refers to the footprint.

snigelen wrote:

and they can do 5V! That's more than an XMega can do! (It's kind of handy, and many of the ARM's at least tolerate 5V).

There are other features that Jim did not include in his feature list above that add even more value to this chip and chip family.  Take a look at the datasheet, I do believe that you too will be impressed.

Edit: post # correction

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 06:43 PM
Total votes: 1

The Tiny1616 Spec Sheet, right on page 1, says:

• Two-cycle hardware multiplier 

The Tiny817 shows this relationship table. Note the empty bar for 32K flash!

Jim

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 05:39 PM

Jim (East Coast Jim)!

I agree with you on not accepting the risk! We both know what to think of assumptions.

I posted just to make sure you saw/got what Brian was saying.

The 1616 sure looks interesting to play with, and is has three DACs. One more than what would be needed to supply reference voltages for a micro-stepping bi-polar stepper motor driver (cough.. cough.. NJM37xx cough..)

The ATtiny817 Xplained board looked interesting as a test platform - until I studied the data sheet. The ATtiny817 has only one (1) DAC. Pity. Need two.

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 06:16 PM

So, Johan has just teased out an additional difference (besides pin count) between xTiny816 and xTiny817 - number of DACs!

Jim

Atmel's/Microsoft's selector guide (spreadsheet) does not show the tiny16xx ...they need to update it, so we can compare features across all parts.

Maybe its part of their website "revamp".

http://www.atmel.com/selector.html

edit:

well, apparently the selector guide via microchip, does list it...they should kill off the other listing

https://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1014

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 06:16 PM

ka7ehk wrote:
The Tiny817 shows this relationship table. Note the empty bar for 32K flash!

With that being said I guess i can use my Tiny817 xplain mini board to do some development sans the extra DAC and then program the target system.

I would still prefer a couple of Routing cards for the STK600.

JIm

avrcandies wrote:
Maybe its part of their website "revamp".
http://www.microchip.com/paramChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=30047

approx to the third screen-full to see tiny1616

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Thanks, just found it via another path....they need to kill of the other listing if it is not being kept current.   There is a notice about a web changeover coming 12/31...maybe that will be the end of old Atmel links.crying

Hmmm, closer look shows that ATtiny16xx have three DACs while smaller ones have one DAC. Hence, the insufficiency of the Xplained (whatever) Tiny817. Would love to see Xplained (XYZ) Tiny1617.

That is a different pattern than what we have seen on most other MCUs where little changes, vertically, in a family but sizes of various memories.

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 06:21 PM
Total votes: 2

A quick copy/paste job from two of the data sheets.. Here are some of the ATtiny series 1 compared:

larryvc wrote:
Yes, RTM ;-)
If I'd had access to the manual I wouldn't have asked the question ;-)

Ahh, The  comparison table Johan just posted reveals yet more "vertical" hardware differences. Numbers of counters, numbers of ADCs (2x in 16xx!), number of comparators.

Jim

DocJC wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, another would be to start/stop timers based on events. E.g. external interrupts. Timer then holds number of ticks between external events w/o any software, e,g, ISR needed.

Aside: Some observations re the "series-1" - in combination with my current studies of the SAM D series:

1) Some of the tiny-1 features are more similar to the SAM Ds than with "classic tinys". The event system is obvious, but the series-1 also has pin muxing, although less sofisticated/complicated than the SAM Ds. 

2) Data of the series-1 is written in a style more similar to the SAM D sheets than the "classic tiny" sheets.

JohanEkdahl wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, another would be to start/stop timers based on events. E.g. external interrupts. Timer then holds number of ticks between external events w/o any software, e,g, ISR needed.

Also along those lines would be to increment a timer(being used as a counter) independently as opposed to an ISR as well.

JIm

JohanEkdahl wrote:

DocJC wrote:

TCB - Timer Counter B can handle all of the frequency and pulse width measurements, and yes, all of this can be coordinated with EVSYS to allow autonomous control and interaction.

21. TCB - 16-bit Timer/Counter Type B

21.1 Features

• 16-bit counter operation modes:

– Periodic interrupt

– Timeout check

– Input capture

• On event

• Frequency measurement

• Pulse width measurement

• Frequency and pulse width measurement

– Single shot

– 8-bit Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)

• Noise canceler on event input

• Optional: Operation synchronous with TCA0

21.2 Overview

The capabilities of the 16-bit Timer/Counter type B (TCB) include frequency and waveform generation,

and input capture on Event with time and frequency measurement of digital signals. The TCB consists of

a base counter and control logic which can be set in one of eight different modes, each mode providing

unique functionality. The base counter is clocked by the peripheral clock with optional prescaling.

This device has two instances of the TCB peripheral: TCB0 and TCB1.

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 22, 2017 - 07:45 PM

If I'm not mistaken, another would be to start/stop timers based on events.

Sounds somewhat like input capture mode, maybe now tracking on an internal signal.   I was wondering if there were actual list of examples of users who used events & could not have done so otherwise (or would be extremely difficult without events).  I suppose making a 32bit timer with zero overhead is one.  So far, nothing earth-shattering.

Pages