ATSTK600 questions

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi All...

So here I was trying to figure out the easiest way to get a UC3 on to a breakout board, and I discovered the ATSTK600. That looks like a pretty cool device. But I'm wondering, are there separate one for DIP chips vs SMT chips? Or are there just separate adapter cards for DIP vs SMT?

It seems Atmel has the best pricing at $199 plus about $39 for a TQFP-66 adapted card. Is there an open secret about how to get the best deal on these parts?

Thanks!

The STK-600 base board is used for all packages. On top of that you place a card stack consisting of a "router board" and a "top board". For e.g. DIL packages you buy a set consiting of a DIL ZIF soket top board and a number of routing boards that will handle the different packages.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Thanks Johan...

I am wondering, what's the difference between the STK-600 and the XPlained board? From reading, it seems the XPlaine board only supports UC3 uCs, but the STK-600 supports all Atmel uCs witht eh correct adapter card.

But does the Xplain board have addational features or limitations?

Sorry for all these annoying questions, but I have a very limited budget (my credit card) and I don't want to buy stuff I don't need. And frankly, Atmel seems to offer very little help.

Thanks...

I know nothing about the XPlained board. I'm not a XMega user.

Have you gone through the specifications at www.atmel.com?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Yes I did review them, but it seemed that the Xplained board was only for UC3 32bit processors. You say they are for XMega?

I might be mixing things up. It's like this in my head: Everything that isn't a 8-bit AVR is some XMegaUCwhatever. :D

But going to Atmel site I see Xplained boards for XMegas. http://www.atmel.com/tools/XMEGA... , so it seems some Xplained boards are populated with XMegas. Example: http://www.atmel.com/tools/XMEGA... .

What you might not have realized is that the STK-600 is a "generic" board. You have the base board, and then get the routers and tops you want for the processor/pinout you want. Want to work with another microconttroller model? Fine, change router and top board.

The Xplained boards have one specific microcontroller soldered in place. Want to work with another microconttroller model? OK, buy another Xplained board.

Again: Re anything but 8-bit AVRs and related, everything I write should be read with skepticism mode activated. :D

JohanEkdahl wrote:
What you might not have realized is that the STK-600 is a "generic" board. You have the base board, and then get the routers and tops you want for the processor/pinout you want. Want to work with another microconttroller model? Fine, change router and top board.

The Xplained boards have one specific microcontroller soldered in place. Want to work with another microconttroller model? OK, buy another Xplained board.

Actually I did realize that, and that causes me to prefer the STK-600 board. But, I am wondering if the Xplained board has some advantage or feature that the STK-600 lacks that would make me prefer it over the STK-600.

I downloaded the manual for the STK-600, and I'll get an Xplained board manual as well, and see what the differences are. So far it seems that I can get to all the features of every chip on the STK-600 through header pins.

Thanks...