ATNGW100 Network Gateway Kit support WiFi ?

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

i just found out about this kit today. i understand that it can run linux, and has an sd card slot.
does anyone know if the version of linux that comes with the kit will support a SD WiFI card ?

I know there are third parties making proprietary WiFi drivers for SDIO cards which works on the NGW100. But to this date I do not think there are any WiFi SDIO drivers upstream.

Although Marvell, Prism and Atheros chipset seems to be open enough to support the SDIO stack.

Hans-Christian

ninevoltz9 has put a hypothetical page up on avr32linux with some rough instructions for a chipset which is supported by the upstream linux kernel: http://www.avr32linux.org/twiki/...

I say hypothetical because as far as I know it hasn't been tested on an avr32 though it has been tested on other platforms with other mmc drivers.

-S.

forgive my ignorance, however it blows my mind that there are windows drivers all over the place for these kinds of cards, even win CE. yet, Linux is struggling to get them.

What i would like to know is why in the world would a chip manufacturer provide a Win driver but no Linux driver. don't they realize that making a driver for both would only allow them to sell more units ?

Its my belief that Linux guys are are the real coders and not the windows guys. win coders are sloppy at best, while Linux coders are efficient and well groomed. its really ticking me off that i want to make a small embedded device that i can have a SDIO wifi card without paying >$100 for some embedded system.

If you have read the SDIO License agreement to get the documentation needed to make drivers, then you would know why there are no open source drivers ;)

Anything above SDIO 1.1 is illegal to distribute in source code, since then you can find out how the spec is by looking at the code :roll:

It is the wrong way to go, but SD-organisation wants it that way...

Hans-Christian

are you sure? that would mean that any periferal that uses SDIO would be useless under linux. this is just not the case.

As I said, anything _above_ SDIO version 1.1 is protected by a NDA. Most WiFi cards should work fine with the SDIO 1.1 stack. And I guess higher versions have a fallback feature.

There is also the possibility to buy a proprietary driver of course.

Hans-Christian

dont get me wrong i am not trying to argue with you. NDA's are easy to get, i get them all the time. why can some great Linux coder get one and make the dam driver. i cannot be the only guy who wants this.

The point is that depending on the terms of the NDA the disclosure of compliant _source code_ can be banned too. As such none of the open source developers will touch it with a long stick and there are very, very few people who actually care enough to build and maintain a binary-only kernel module.

Once your stuff is merged in to a mainline kernel then other developers are under an obligation not to break it so upkeep is much easier. Keeping a well maintained module out of tree is generally only feasible for large companies with (supposedly) lots to loose like nVidia.

-S.

i e-mail Atmel and asked them this:

"can i buy the ATNGW100 Network Gateway Kit, and some kind of SDIO wifi card that you guys recommend and get onto the network with it ?"

they replyed with:

"Yes, with the embWiSe driver this should not be a problem. We have tested this driver with a Socket 802.11g SDIO Wireless LAN card. "

but did not specify a card.

communication with them is SLOW, so i am hoping i will get a better response here. anyone know of the SD card they are talking about ?

EmbWiSe (http://www.embwise.com/) has a SDIOWorx (http://www.embwise.com/Sdiow.htm) product which is a SDIO stack.

They also have a driver for the Socket P300 card (and other Socket cards which are solderable, not SD-card format).

Hans-Christian

Has anyone gotten the above product or anything else to work for enabling wireless support on the ATNGW100?