AtmelStudio v7.0.1645 "Error: recipe for target ... failed" with SAME70 USB MSC example project

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all,

Apologies, this is a copy of a post in SAME70 Xplained forum (as this says AVR related) but after trying to compile other example projects it just seems to be a problem with AtmelStudio in general as they're all reporting similar errors.

I have a brand new installation of Atmel Studio (v7.0.1645) running under Windows 7.  The SAME70 Xplained board was recognised and updated to the latest firmware, I picked the USB MSC device example for the SAME70 and tried to build it.

Compiling just the first file which falls over on a build, I got these errors which are the same as the build command:

OUTPUT WINDOW:

Build started.

Project "SAME70_USB_MSC.cproj" (Compile target(s)):

Target "Compile" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\SAME70_USB_MSC\SAME70_USB_MSC\SAME70_USB_MSC.cproj" (entry point):

Using "RunCompilerTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\Application\AvrGCC.dll".

Task "RunCompilerTask"

Shell Utils Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils\make.exe "src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device/example/same70q21_same70_xplained/ui.o" 

E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\SAME70_USB_MSC\SAME70_USB_MSC\Debug\Makefile(280,1): error: recipe for target 'src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device/example/same70q21_same70_xplained/ui.o' failed

make: *** [src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device/example/same70q21_same70_xplained/ui.o] Error 1

Done executing task "RunCompilerTask" -- FAILED.

Done building target "Compile" in project "SAME70_USB_MSC.cproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "SAME70_USB_MSC.cproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

ERROR LIST:

Severity Code Description Project File Line

Error recipe for target 'src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device/example/same70q21_same70_xplained/ui.o' failed SAME70_USB_MSC E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\SAME70_USB_MSC\SAME70_USB_MSC\Debug\Makefile 280

MAKEFILE LINE 280:

src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device/example/same70q21_same70_xplained/%.o: ../src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device/example/same70q21_same70_xplained/%.c

@echo Building file: $<

@echo Invoking: ARM/GNU C Compiler : 6.3.1

$(QUOTE)C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\arm\arm-gnu-toolchain\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe$(QUOTE)  -x c -mthumb -D__SAME70Q21__ -DDEBUG -DBOARD=SAME70_XPLAINED -DVIRTUAL_MEMORY_ENABLE -DARM_MATH_CM7=true -Dprintf=iprintf -DUDD_ENABLE -D__SAME70Q21__ -Dscanf=iscanf -DACCESS_USB_ENABLED  -I"../src/ASF/common/components/memory/virtual_mem" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/storage/ctrl_access" -I"../src" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/clock" -I"../src/ASF/sam/drivers/pmc" -I"../src/ASF/sam/utils" -I"../src/ASF/sam/utils/header_files" -I"../src/ASF/sam/utils/preprocessor" -I"../src/ASF/thirdparty/CMSIS/Include" -I"../src/ASF/thirdparty/CMSIS/Lib/GCC" -I"../src/ASF/sam/utils/fpu" -I"../src/ASF/common/utils" -I"../src/ASF/sam/utils/cmsis/same70/include" -I"../src/ASF/sam/utils/cmsis/same70/source/templates" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/sleepmgr" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc/device" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/usb/class/msc" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/usb/udc" -I"../src/ASF/sam/drivers/usbhs" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/ioport" -I"../src/ASF/sam/drivers/pio" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/usb" -I"../src/ASF/sam/boards/same70_xplained" -I"../src/ASF/sam/boards" -I"../src/ASF/common/boards" -I"../src/ASF/common/services/gpio" -I"../src/ASF/sam/drivers/mpu" -I"../src/config"  -O1 -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -mlong-calls -g3 -Wall -mcpu=cortex-m7 -c -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wpointer-arith -std=gnu99 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wchar-subscripts -Wcomment -Wformat=2 -Wimplicit-int -Wmain -Wparentheses -Wsequence-point -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wtrigraphs -Wunused -Wuninitialized -Wunknown-pragmas -Wfloat-equal -Wundef -Wshadow -Wbad-function-cast -Wwrite-strings -Wsign-compare -Waggregate-return -Wmissing-declarations -Wformat -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wpacked -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wlong-long -Wunreachable-code -Wcast-align --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=fpv5-sp-d16 -MD -MP -MF "$(@:%.o=%.d)" -MT"$(@:%.o=%.d)" -MT"$(@:%.o=%.o)"   -o "$@" "$<" 

@echo Finished building: $<

I've tried different directories on C: and E:, running as administrator and disabling anti-virus. I've even tried installing Atmel Studio on another machine (unfortunately also running under Windows 7) but have gotten exactly the same result.

So frustrated!  I've a £30 board that I can't compile to with the manufacturers tools!  Worse than that though, it's looking like I can't use the chip I wanted too because of something which shouldn't be happening.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

This topic has a solution.

Last Edited: Fri. Mar 2, 2018 - 10:28 AM

I think this has been noticed before (individual file compiles failing). Just try building the complete solution.

Sorry, I think I confused the issue by putting in a single compile for the example of the failure.  When I do a build, the whole thing fails and I get this same error for every file compilation before the build process bombs out. The example just happens to be the first in the list.  There is another error which is something to do with a timeout waiting for the first compile to complete.

I'm at work at the moment but I will post a build log this evening if that helps?

I've not looked at it for a day or two hoping for some help here.  Tonight I intend to try it on a Windows 10 laptop to see if that makes a difference.  I'm also going to uninstall from the clean installation of Windows 7 laptop (I tried it as a sanity check to rule out interference from other development platforms installed on my desktop) and then install an older version of Atmel Studio with the previous GCC toolset.

I'm actually thinking that I should move away from the Atmel M7.  it's not supported by LUFA and, from what I have heard trying to get ASF USB devices (unless you are using the examples is a 'mare).  At the min, I can't even get the examples to work, never mind a composite device!

Lee

I don't have the original solution anymore (a product of trying different locations etc), but here is the output from a new example project which has the same error as all the rest:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: GccBoardProject1, Configuration: Debug ARM ------

Build started.

Project "GccBoardProject1.cproj" (Clean target(s)):

Target "Clean" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\GccBoardProject1\GccBoardProject1\GccBoardProject1.cproj" (entry point):

Task "RunCompilerTask"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils\make.exe clean 

rm -rf  src/ASF/common/services/clock/same70/sysclk.o src/ASF/common/utils/interrupt/interrupt_sam_nvic.o src/ASF/sam/boards/same70_xplained/init.o src/ASF/sam/drivers/mpu/mpu.o src/ASF/sam/drivers/pio/pio.o src/ASF/sam/drivers/pio/pio_handler.o src/ASF/sam/drivers/pmc/pmc.o src/ASF/sam/drivers/pmc/sleep.o src/ASF/sam/utils/cmsis/same70/source/templates/gcc/startup_same70.o src/ASF/sam/utils/cmsis/same70/source/templates/system_same70.o src/ASF/sam/utils/syscalls/gcc/syscalls.o src/main.o   

rm -rf  src/ASF/common/services/clock/same70/sysclk.d src/ASF/common/utils/interrupt/interrupt_sam_nvic.d src/ASF/sam/boards/same70_xplained/init.d src/ASF/sam/drivers/mpu/mpu.d src/ASF/sam/drivers/pio/pio.d src/ASF/sam/drivers/pio/pio_handler.d src/ASF/sam/drivers/pmc/pmc.d src/ASF/sam/drivers/pmc/sleep.d src/ASF/sam/utils/cmsis/same70/source/templates/gcc/startup_same70.d src/ASF/sam/utils/cmsis/same70/source/templates/system_same70.d src/ASF/sam/utils/syscalls/gcc/syscalls.d src/main.d   

rm -rf "GccBoardProject1.elf" "GccBoardProject1.a" "GccBoardProject1.hex" "GccBoardProject1.bin" "GccBoardProject1.lss" "GccBoardProject1.eep" "GccBoardProject1.map" "GccBoardProject1.srec"

Done executing task "RunCompilerTask".

Done building target "Clean" in project "GccBoardProject1.cproj".

Done building project "GccBoardProject1.cproj".

Build succeeded.

------ Rebuild All started: Project: GccBoardProject1, Configuration: Debug ARM ------

Build started.

Project "GccBoardProject1.cproj" (default targets):

Target "PreBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PreBuildEvent)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').

Target "CoreBuild" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\GccBoardProject1\GccBoardProject1\GccBoardProject1.cproj" (target "Build" depends on it):

Task "RunCompilerTask"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils\make.exe all --jobs 8 --output-sync 

E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\GccBoardProject1\GccBoardProject1\Debug\Makefile(203,1): error: recipe for target 'src/ASF/common/services/clock/same70/sysclk.o' failed

make: *** [src/ASF/common/services/clock/same70/sysclk.o] Error 1

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

E:\Projects\AtmelStudio\GccBoardProject1\GccBoardProject1\Debug\Makefile(210,1): error: recipe for target 'src/ASF/common/utils/interrupt/interrupt_sam_nvic.o' failed

make: *** [src/ASF/common/utils/interrupt/interrupt_sam_nvic.o] Error 1

Done executing task "RunCompilerTask" -- FAILED.

Done building target "CoreBuild" in project "GccBoardProject1.cproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "GccBoardProject1.cproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Lee

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

Ok, so it seems to be working now, or at least, I am able to do a build and get it on the SAME7 target board.

I believe it was down to Comodo AV which ignored the installation settings (or perhaps Studio installs things in the background after the main install?) and virtualised part of the compilation environment in to the hidden VTRoot area on C drive.  This hasn't happened on previous versions where all I needed to do was put the Atmel Studio and project directories in the exclusions part.

Uninstalling, clearing the registry, and then re-installing with Comodo Virtualisation switched off fixed the problem.  I just need to figure out how to get my system protected properly **and** have Atmel Studio running.