AtmelStudio 6.2 build 1153 deleting EEPROM

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I have downloaded Studion 6.2 build 1153 and found that it set the whole EEPROM to 0xff even if the Preserve EEPROM flag is on.
How can I keep the EEPROM data?

This issue was fixed yesterday.

Workaround, if possible is to set the EESAVE fuse and choose not to do a chiperase on launch. If this is not possible for your device, read on.

>-----

Build which fixes this: http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/AS6/as-6.2.1156/as-installer-6.2.1156-s...
MD5: http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/AS6/as-6.2.1156/as-installer-6.2.1156-s...
SHA1: http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/AS6/as-6.2.1156/as-installer-6.2.1156-s...

Note that this is not qualified by normal standards etc, but it should be ok... :) I would still reccomend to try to see if the workaround above is possible.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Quote:

This issue was fixed yesterday.

But did not make it to the final release of 6.2, right?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

6.2 was released long time ago from our point...

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Morten,

It works.
Thank you very much!

(workaround or new version?)

New version

Confirming the issue but also that the EESAVE fuse setting workaround to be failing, at least doing so on my Atmega644PA device.

Two other workarounds I found doing the trick to preserve EEPROM content are as follows:

To flash, use Tools->Device Programming-> Fuses
set the EESAVE fuse and program it and then do
-> Memories, tick "Erase device before programming",
-> Program

This is little cumbersome and you might want to keep another instance of AS running where you can keep the Device programming dialogue open if your flashing gets more intense.

The other workaround is to go Start -> Atmel -> AS Command Prompt
and from there use a tiny cmd-file with something like this inside:
atprogram -t avrispmk2 -i isp -d atmega644pa chiperase
atprogram -t avrispmk2 -i isp -d atmega644pa program -f "path_to\Yourgizmo.elf"
atprogram -t avrispmk2 -i isp -d atmega644pa verify -f "path_to\Yourgizmo.elf"

(The EESAVE fuse must also be set before for this to work.)

/Manni