Atmel's Jungo driver crashed my Win7.64bit O.S.

Go To Last Post
24 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I was using AVR Studio, and I got a blue screen. It was caused by windrvr6.sys. That's the freakin' Jungo driver. Jungo drivers used to be junk. I guess they haven't gotten any better.

I now have it disabled.

It serves no purpose anyway until or unless I get the USB port working on my Xplain board. I'd rather just hook my PC to an Xmega USART with my RS232 level converter.

Yes, I have the same problem here on my Win7 x64 machine -- it works most of the time, but then crashes after long debug sessions with a BAD_POOL_CALLER error. Guess someone forgot their manual on portability when they coded the driver.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Yeah, that's it. You know we are in the wrong forum. I wish I could drag and drop it into the AVR Studio forum. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to catch hell.

I had it working on my Windows 7 x64 laptop, USB to a STK600. Then it gave BSOD's, now it won't connect to the STK600. Uninstalled AVR Studio 4 and reinstalled, still won't connect to the STK600. What a piece of carp.

You might take a look at Device Manager to see if the Jungo drivers are there.

Attachment(s): 

I have the STK600 driver, but not the WinDriver. Disconnected the STK600, reinstalled the Jungo/USB, reconnected the STK600, still no WinDriver.

Quote:

I have the STK600 driver, but not the WinDriver. Disconnected the STK600, reinstalled the Jungo/USB, reconnected the STK600, still no WinDriver.

From the device manager, choose the menu option to install a legacy device. Point it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Tools\usb64\windrvr6.inf" and it should install the needed driver.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Start a cmd window with Administrator privilege and execute:

wdreg -inf "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Avr Tools\usb64\windrvr6.inf" install

That installed WinDriver. Now I'm back up and running, with the same random blue screen crashes.

It seems to me, we ought to be complaining to Atmel. I will sign the petition if someone will deliver it to Atmel.

I haven't had another crash but I don't know how long I can continue to run between the raindrops.

I got my second crash. I was shutting down AVR Studio at the time.

I actually got to see the blue screen this time. "BAD_POOL_CALLER", but no mention of the driver. The dump analysis shows windrvr6.sys as the probable cause.

Should I send an e-mail to Atmel? Is the e-mail address avrbeta or avr? I'd like to attach a couple of dumps, but 200 MB attachments might be rejected. :)

Quote:

I actually got to see the blue screen this time. "BAD_POOL_CALLER", but no mention of the driver. The dump analysis shows windrvr6.sys as the probable cause.

That's bang-on what I get. It seems to be semi-random in the crashes, but it seems to happen the most when I try to teardown a debugging session while it's still in use (for example, JTAG debugging an application with AVRStudio, then closing AVRStudio without first leaving debugging mode).

I'd send off the report to Atmel (avrbeta probably) without the full dump, and only provide it upon request. I think that windrv6.sys is the Jungo made portion of the driver however, so it might be the case that Jungo's at fault here and not Atmel.

I stopped the debugging and closed the project before I shut down AVR Studio.

I will send the e-mail.

Using Vista64 I have had a long experience of crashes & blue screens. While I was using a Dragon they only happened after Studio had been running all day and there was no clear pattern.

Since using JTAGICE2 they have become more frequent and associated withe entering or during a debug session.

Today when I tried running Dragon in PDI mode I have seen something more useful. The Dragon in PDI mode appears to be very fussy about the PDI leads and if you get it wrong the debug mode hangs and you can't get out of Studio.

To me this is all beginning to look like poor error handling/recovery between windrv6 and Studio and I don't think this problem is limited to Win 7.

I guess it's the same driver. The Win7 crash dump analysis has this line, for whatever it's worth:

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

My windrvr6.sys file properties looks like this:

Attachment(s): 

If Windows (NT actually) crashes I think it's a safe bet you either have a bad driver or bad hardware. Bad hardware can include RAM, power supply, overheating, etc..

Well I suppose if the OS software on the hard drive becomes corrupted because of malware or a bad hard drive, that could do it also.

I have windriver under jungo, is this Blue screen crash an issue under XP ( screw Vista and Window 7 ) ?

1) Studio 4.18 build 716 (SP3)
2) WinAvr 20100110
3) PN, all on Doze XP... For Now
A) Avr Dragon ver. 1
B) Avr MKII ISP, 2009 model
C) MKII JTAGICE ver. 1

For anyone experiencing this crash issue, there is a work-around - but it could be a painful process depending on how messed up your XP/Vista/Win7 installation is. It's a matter of forcibly ripping out the Jungo driver from the AVR Studio installation, and reverting back to the last good 9.2.1 series driver.

I now have this working on standalone machines (Windows XP), and on Virtual Machines (using VirtualBox under Ubuntu).

The problem lies with the f**ked up Jungo driver 10.x version in the Atmel tools. Firstly, it's not compatible with any other devices which use the Jungo driver, and it also contains some code which crashes/blue screens machines quite readily.

I've got 3 devices which need to use the Jungo driver, and after a day of testing in Virtual Machines (VirtualBox under Ubuntu) I have them all working and co-existing happily.
- Raisonance Ride7 using the R-Link Pro (ARM, STM32, etc.) [version 7.0.0.0]
- AVR Studio 4.18-SP1 using the AVRISP MkII & STK500 (ATMega, ATTiny, etc.) [9.2.0.0 in 4.14, and version 10.0.1.0 in 4.18]
- PoScope Basic (cheap scope, spectrum analyser, I2C/USART/SPI/etc. protocol monitor) [version 9.2.1.0]

The latest version of the Jungo driver which successfully works on XP & across all devices is 9.2.1, which co-incidentally is the version before the jump to 10.0 (which is crap), which is unfortunately necessarily used by the AVR toolchain installer. Trying to hack the driver IDs/versions/etc. will not work (I tried). So, the next best thing was to try and make the AVR Toolchain work with the 9.2.x driver - which thankfully is easy to do, since they channel all AVRISP mkII communications to the Jungo driver through an abstraction DLL.

First off, remove any Jungo driver and device information you might have in your machine.
Refer to this helpful documentation for methods to remove the Jungo driver.
http://jungo.com/st/support/unin...
http://raisonance-forum.xsalto.c...

Ensure that your machine has been completely purged of the 10.x version (and others) of the Jungo driver before continuing.

Install the 9.2.1 version of the Jungo Driver as the FINAL VERSION.
You can get this version from PoScope in their application download. The driver will install (upgrade) without the actual device, so you can use the installer and just ignore the device connection requirements.
http://www.poscope.com/uploads/f...
Run this and install the 9.2.1 Jungo Driver - latest in the 9.2.x series.

Then to get the latest (4.18-SP1) AVR Studio working with the older Jungo 9.2.x driver, you need to get the SComm.dll file from the AVR Studio 4.14 installation, and replace this file in the "usb" subdirectory in the AVR Tools install directory:
This is usually "C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\usb"
(File has been attached to this message - so you can simply replace it

Through a stroke of luck (or brilliance on the Atmel guys part), all communications to the Jungo driver pass through this DLL.

This will then let the latest 4.18-SP1 AVR Studio work with the 9.2.1 Jungo driver - and avoid all those BSODs.

(And there was much rejoicing!)

---

Alternatively, you can follow this process for full co-existence (which worked 100% for me - tested in clean VM for full install process)

1). Install Ride7 Toolchain from Raisonance (incl. ARM, and any other portions required). NOTE: Ride7 installs a very old Jungo driver 7.0.0.0, but we don't care.

2). Connect up the R-Link Pro and ensure the drivers are installed and working fine with Ride7

3). Install AVR Studio 4.14 from Atmel and WinAVR. This contains the 9.2.0.0 Jungo Driver (which is fine & works)

4). Copy out the SComm.dll file from the AVR Studio 4.14 installation onto the desktop (i.e. somewhere safe)

5). Connect up the AVRISP mkII and ensure the AVRISP mkII driver & Jungo drivers are installed and working fine with AVR Studio 4.14

6). Install PoScope software, which contains the (latest 9.x series) 9.2.1.0 Jungo Driver (will be upgraded as appropriate)

7). Connect up the PoScope and ensure the drivers are installed and working fine with PoScope Software (Optional - if you have this device)

8). RE-CONNECT THE AVRISP mkII, AND LEAVE THE AVRISP mkII CONNECTED!!! This is in order to LOCK the Jungo driver (i.e. driver busy with device attached!)

9). Install AVR Studio 4.18 from Atmel. This contains the 10.0.1.0 Jungo Driver (which is screwed and we need to avoid it like the plague!)

10). During the install, the Jungo driver will auto-attempt to upgrade. By having the AVRISP mkII connected, the driver is blocked and can not be upgraded. When prompted press "C" to cancel the installation. The install will continue happily, and will complete successfully.

11). Upgrade the installation to AVR Studio 4.18 SP1, which then ensures you're running the latest and greatest.

12). Now replace the "C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\usb\SComm.dll" with the one from 4.14, or the one attached to this post.

13). Start up 4.18-SP1, and test the connections - that everything is working. For me it also needed to upgrade my AVRISP mkII firmware to a newer version - and this worked absolutely without issue in a Virtual Machine!

---

By doing this, AVR Studio 4.18-SP1 will now use the Jungo 9.2.1 driver, Ride7 will use the 9.2.1 driver in the legacy mode, and the PoScope software is using the 9.2.1 driver as designed.

All co-exist, and all work in WinXP, and in virtual machines ... no BSODs.

Hope this helps someone else ... it's been a day of painful rebooting, but worth it in the end.

Regards,
BearTM.

Attachment(s): 

Apparently Jungo fixing their driver is not an option. :)

I have a "request" filed with Atmel, but apparently nothing is happening. The status is "Open".

Maybe the best solution under the circumstances is for Atmel to change AVR Studio so it will use the older driver automatically.

P.S. Is this an issue with all 64 bit Windows?

P.P.S Of course you could suggest that I have my head examined for deciding to install 64 bit Win7 when I have no need for it. :)

"P.S. Is this an issue with all 64 bit Windows?"

I have been using vista-64bit and now using win7-64bit with AVR-Studio versions and have not havent problems.
I have used both avrisp mkII and avrdragon. :shock:

RRweco wrote:
"P.S. Is this an issue with all 64 bit Windows?"

I have been using vista-64bit and now using win7-64bit with AVR-Studio versions and have not havent problems.
I have used both avrisp mkII and avrdragon. :shock:

Well, you're then one of the lucky ones with fully compatible hardware/software/environment. Any time I tried to use it on my laptop with WinXP, or in a Virtual Machine ... *KABOOM* ... BSOD ... full reset.

This was especially made worse with trying to use Ride7 and AVR Studio on the same machine with two very different Jungo drivers.

Using a VM is for certain a very 'clean' environment - but it obviously isn't CPU/OS time-perfect. It's probably some subtle event/timing related issue in the Jungo driver which causes the catastrophic failures.

Consider yourself (and your machine) blessed. :wink:

My machine only has 1 GB of RAM, which I believe is less than recommended for 64 bit Windows. Maybe this increases the chances of crashes. I have 4 crashes in 27 days. I will buy more RAM some day.

I've had 2 BSOD since I installed Win7 64 last month. I have an i7 CPU and 6GB of RAM.

I did not expect any problems while switching from Vista x64 to Win7 x64, but with the USB tools we had some randomly.

"Did you follow this?"

So here is a short step-by-step driver installation procedures:

1. As you may remember, there where always 2 devices in the Jungo-folder in the Device Manager. By right clicking on the computers name in the Device Manage, selecting "Add legacy hardware" you can install an extra driver.
2. Click next
3. Select "Install the hardware, that I manually select from a List (Advanced)"
4. Select "Show All Devices"
5. Click on "Have disc" and point to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Tools\usb64\windrvr6.inf"
6. Select WinDriver an continue by clicking "next" and "install" many times ;)
7. Now you can install the JTAGICE mkII driver. Reinstall it, if you have tried it already, it should work now. If you let Windows search on the Internet, it will find the correct one.
8. when it looks like this, it should work

ATMEL--Heart Beat
Nothing Impossible

That sounds a lot like this Tutorial:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...