Atmel Studio_6.2sp1_1502 and AtmelUSBInstaller-6.2.342 fail on Windows 8.1

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Both Atmel Studio6_2sp1_1502 install and stand alone USB installer AtmelUSBInstaller-6.2.342 fail to install the USB drivers on windows 8.1.

Atmel, why does this stuff happen so often with your software?  I am dead in the water!

USB FU

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Tue. Dec 30, 2014 - 06:00 PM

See the comments at the AtmelUSBInstaller page in the Atmel Gallery.  I gave you 5 stars because I know that stuff happens! wink

I also exaggerated a bit when I said "I am dead in the water!".  I always have a backup.  I would like to get this installed though.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

I tried the Atmel Studio6_2sp1_1502 install again just to see if I could coax it into playing nice.  For every one of the USB driver .inf files there were the same type of error messages as in my initial post.

However, the error messages seem to occur after what looks like a valid install of the 32-bit USB drivers, as though the install is trying to also install the 16-bit drivers after the 32-bit ones.  Hopefully this information will help Atmel diagnose the problem.

Studio seems to be working and WinDriver appears under Jungo Connectivity in the Device Manager as it should.

I hope Morten looks into this!  Others are seeing the same issue and although the drivers are being installed the error messages that follow are making them think that the install is bad when it isn't.

Someone needs to address this issue! 

We are. New version of the usb driver without the failing part (should also prove a speedup hopefully). If people want to test it, then ping me and I'll see what I can do...

However, the issue that you are seeing means that somehow the installer detects your 64 bit windows to be 32 bit, which would mean that we would see a landslide of issues if this was the case for all win81 machines...

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

meolsen wrote:
However, the issue that you are seeing means that somehow the installer detects your 64 bit windows to be 32 bit, which would mean that we would see a landslide of issues if this was the case for all win81 machines...

The fact that it sees it as a 32 bit machine is a problem, in Atmel's installer.  I have no problem with any other software driver installs, they don't do this.  The previous Atmel installer did not either.  This is a new symptom.

Do you know the baseline of what version of Windows most users here are using? wink I doubt if you would see a landslide, but several have taken note of the issue with Windows 8.1.

Thanks for looking into this and getting back to me.

We're seeing exactly this problem on a Win 8.1 x64 machine - is there anything we can do to help diagnose why the installer is detecting the platform incorrectly?

The driver installer that I sent to Larry can be found here.

Note that this still shows issues on Windows XP, and it is not a released version of the usb pack. It does however fix the Windows 8.1 issues reported here.

Common pre-release precations apply, take a system restore point etc before running it.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Hi all,

Just some update.

I just intall "AStudio6_2sp2_1563net" it solve my win 8.1 fault.

Now can detect my MKII.

CS