Atmel Studio not reading my UC3A1512 microcontroller via STK 600

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I am new here and relatively new to micro-controllers/development boards, and I am asking for some help/suggestions.

I have an STK600 development board with a UC3A1512  micro-controller seated in the socket. On Atmel Studio 6.1 and 6.2, I can successfully read the ID of this chip via the JTAG interface.

But when I try to make the connection from the JTAG interface on the STK600 to an off-board UC3A1512 micro-controller on a circuit board I developed, I could not read the ID in Atmel Studio. I have tested this connection in several configurations, and I did try read an older circuit board with the same micro-controller that was known to be working perfectly, yet no luck.

I can confirm that all voltages are right- Atmel Studio reads between 3.2-3.3V, and I am powering my board from the USB of my pc.

What could be the issue? Anyone with some suggestions? Thanks!

Try powering your board with an external source as it may draw more than what the USB can supply. 

Also make sure your ground connection is solid. 

Make sure your JTAG connections are correct.

Make sure you are using the RIGHT connector on the STK600....its the set of pins closest to the edge of the main board, NOT the socket card.  This has happened in the past.

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Last Edited: Sun. Jul 9, 2017 - 01:13 AM

Thanks @jgmdesign

What worked for me was to check the soldering leads of the mcu to the board. Some leads were not properly soldered.

Solution achieved. Now struggling with programming the device.