Atmel Studio 7.0.934/7.0.943

Go To Last Post
32 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 2

So, finally, we have an update to Atmel Studio. 

Being primarily a bugfix release, build 934 should quite a few issues reported here (yes John, yours too). Most notable change besides bugfixes are an update of the avr8-gcc package which now comes with avr-libc 2.0.

You can get the release note from here, and the installer by looking in the notifications window in Atmel Studio (click the little flag in the top right corner on the toolbar), or by going to Help->Check for updates, while we wait for atmel.com to get updated.

A non exhaustive list of bugfixes (from the release note) is listed below:

• AVRSV-7084: During the upgrade, user settings like recent projects, external tools, parallel build are not persisted. During upgrade of Atmel Studio, user settings like recent projects, external tools, parallel build are not persisted.
  • AVRSV-7176: When opening a project, the same file opens multiple times. Opening a ASF project opens multiple instances of some files.
  • AVRSV-7222: Start without debugging uses a default clock (unconfigured) of 1 MHz. Start without debugging ignores user settings and uses a default clock (unconfigured) of 1 MHz.
  • AVRSV-7230: "Show all files" doesn't show files unused in the project but existing in the directory. "Show all files" doesn't show all existing files in the directory, it only shows files used in the project.
  • AVRSV-7267: Launching with many breakpoints (6) causes flash-controller fault on SAM4E. Binding many breakpoints during launch can cause memory corruption.
  • AVRSV-7305: Using the fuses and lockbits page fails for ATmega DFU and AVR XMEGA FLIP bootloaders. Trying to open the Fuse or Lockbit page in the programming dialog failed when using the ATmega DFU and XMEGA Flip bootloaders.
  • AVRSV-7312: ATmega DFU fails to launch. Launching on a device using the ATmega DFU bootloader caused an error due to the wrong erase command being issued.
  • AVRSV-7337: GDB crashes intermittently on SAMV71. GDB crashes on some SAM devices due to a race condition when programming flash and launching the debug session.
  • AVRSV-7341: Drag-n-drop files into the solution explorer should link, not copy. Default behavior when files is dragged into the solution explorer is to copy. This fix gives an option to change the behavior to link the file when dragged into the solution explorer, and adds the possibility to hold down the ALT key when dragging the file to create a link.
  • AVRSV-7342: Can not move links in the solution explorer. Linked files can not be moved in the solution explorer.
  • AVRSV-7343: Linked files in the solution explorer are sometimes absolute, sometimes relative. Fixes a bug where linked files added to a newly created project is stored with an absolute path in the project instead of relative path.
  • AVRSV-7346: Atmel Studio is deleting linked files. When moving linked files in the solution explorer, sometimes the source file can be deleted. Normal file operations are no longer done on linked files in the solution explorer.
  • AVRSV-7378: Chip Erase with EDBG fails if erase pin is not connected. Chip Erase fails on EDBG kits where the erase pin is not connected.
  • AVRSV-7379: Unhandled exception when writing fuses or lockbits when Auto Read is turned off. Unhandled exception when writing fuses or lockbits when Auto Read is turned off. This causes Atmel Studio to crash.
  • AVRSV-7396: Exception in MemoryPressureResolver. Some machines shows an error regarding 'Exception in MemoryPressureReliever'. This is caused by a change the .NET framework, which was not handled correctly.
  • AVRSV-7400: Disable debugWire and close hidden in easy-mode. When in Standard mode, Disable debugWire and Close is not visible in the Debug menu. To activate the fix, reset the profile selection by going to 'Tools->Select Profile' and click the 'Reset' button. This will reload the active profile to the default one.
  • AVRSV-7408: Set startup project in solution explorer hidden in easy-mode. When using Atmel Studio in Standard mode, the Set Startup Project menu is missing. To activate the fix, reset the profile selection by going to 'Tools->Select Profile' and click the 'Reset' button. This will reload the active profile to the default one.
  • AVRSV-7415: Remove project from the Recent project list on the Startpage does not work. Removing projects from the recent list on the start page did not work.
  • AVRSV-7422: Breakpoint on reset vector does not work. When using the Start Debugging function (without break) to launch a debug session, a breakpoint placed at the reset vector was ignored during startup.
  • AVRSV-7426: atprogram info does not print signature for Cortex-M0+. Signature information is not printed from atprogram for Cortex-M0+ devices.
  • AVRSV-7454: Import project template fails. 'File->Import->Project template' fails with missing 'Ionic.zip' assembly.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Last Edited: Mon. May 23, 2016 - 04:03 PM
Total votes: 0

and AVRSV-7434 aka AVRSIM-739 AVRSIM-379

Last Edited: Sat. May 14, 2016 - 05:20 PM

yes John, yours too

Thanks for thinking of me, I'll try it out. smiley

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

So after 20 or 30 Always trust Atmel software it finally installed, no time for a thorough test yet.

The link on the Atmel website about a hot-fix for this goes to M$ and it says no longer available. KB2921916

http://atmel.force.com/support/a...

The other KB303whatever seems to be already installed on this laptop but the above is still happening.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Last Edited: Sat. May 14, 2016 - 02:07 AM

Nice update! Installed on two computers and everything is working fine so far...

Total votes: 1

update of the avr8-gcc package which now comes with avr-libc 2.0.

When will this be released as a separately downloadable toolchain (specifically, for AVR8, under Linux 64-bit)?

"Experience is what enables you to recognise a mistake the second time you make it."

"Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement."

"Wisdom is always wont to arrive late, and to be a little approximate on first possession."

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not unicorns."

"Fast.  Cheap.  Good.  Pick two."

"We see a lot of arses on handlebars around here." - [J Ekdahl]

Also in the publish queue as far as I know... I'll check up and see how far things have come smiley

"Experience is what enables you to recognise a mistake the second time you make it."

"Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement."

"Wisdom is always wont to arrive late, and to be a little approximate on first possession."

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not unicorns."

"Fast.  Cheap.  Good.  Pick two."

"We see a lot of arses on handlebars around here." - [J Ekdahl]

Where I can get it? On the official Atmel Studio page on www.atmel.com still is the 790 version.

... ... and the installer by looking in the notifications window in Atmel Studio (click the little flag in the top right corner on the toolbar), or by going to Help->Check for updates, while we wait for atmel.com to get updated.

Drum roll..................and the results are in......SUCCESS! laugh No more crash and burn. Thank you very much.

But I also discovered why I was/am having a problem with trying to program@4MHz in PDI mode.

I have 2 JTAG Mk3 and 1 ICE, all 3 of them have been updates with the new software.

However one of the JTAG Mk3 refuses to work at 4MHz and of course that was the first one I tried, so I have to go to 1MHz for that to work. It is now marked 1MHz ONLY so that I don't start getting angry when I happen to use that device.

It must be one of the early devices with serial # J3020 0000 758 (1MHz) the other JTAG has serial # J3020 0013 598 (4MHz), don't know if it warrants further fixes unless of course a user has an early JTAG Mk3 and can't program at the default speed.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Phew...

Tough customers huh? laugh

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Thanks. I must have been blind when I read the 1st post.

At work I'm running a desktop with win7-32 bit, dled new as7-934, but it doesnt see the atmel ice. Laptop with win7-32bit and as7-634 does see it, works fine. No yellow exclamation points in device mgr, I see windriver and atmelwindrvr and jtagicemkii in jungo. Tried plug unplug. How to get it to 'redetect'? delete something somewhere? Anyone else out there running win7-32 bit? Your atmel ice works ok?

Imagecraft compiler user

I had problem with JTAGICE3 after upgrade to AS7 build 934 (Windows 10 x64). Uninstalling every USB driver from Atmel (windrv, jungo etc.) and repairing AS7/934 installation fixed my problems. Maybe it will work for you.

So I still don't find where to get this magical thing. Good grief: I have 7.0.582.

All I find at atmel.com is 7.0.790

The largest known prime number: 282589933-1

In my humble opinion, I'm always right. 

You simply get the update from Studio itself until the new version becomes available to the masses.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

meolsen wrote:
AVRSV-7084: During the upgrade, user settings like recent projects, external tools, parallel build are not persisted. During upgrade of Atmel Studio, user settings like recent projects, external tools, parallel build are not persisted.

Hmmm. The install of 7.0.934 blew away all my user settings!

SpiderKenny
@spiderelectron
www.spider-e.com

Torby wrote:
So I still don't find where to get this magical thing.

As John says I just followed the guidance in Morten's post and used Help-Check for Updates and it told me there was a 934 download available. It then switched to a browser to actually download the .exe file which itself is quite short but it then starts an online-update process that takes yonks downloading GBs.

For the first time the upgrade went smoothly, and everything worked fine. Very nice installer, good work.

Now live on the Atmel website.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Standalone package for AVR 8-bit GNU Toolchain 3.5.2 is available now in atmel.com.

clawson wrote:

Torby wrote:
So I still don't find where to get this magical thing.

As John says I just followed the guidance in Morten's post and used Help-Check for Updates and it told me there was a 934 download available. It then switched to a browser to actually download the .exe file which itself is quite short but it then starts an online-update process that takes yonks downloading GBs.

Thanks. Update installing. 

bobgardner wrote:

At work I'm running a desktop with win7-32 bit, dled new as7-934, but it doesnt see the atmel ice. Laptop with win7-32bit and as7-634 does see it, works fine. No yellow exclamation points in device mgr, I see windriver and atmelwindrvr and jtagicemkii in jungo. Tried plug unplug. How to get it to 'redetect'? delete something somewhere? Anyone else out there running win7-32 bit? Your atmel ice works ok?

Bob,

I had exactly the same problem on my desktop and laptop (both Win7 32 bit). After the update my Atmel-ICE was nowhere to be seen. A re-start of the computers seemed to solve it, but prior to doing that nothing would work.

I also updated the Atmel-ICE firmware after the Atmel Studio upgrade. 

Good luck,

Keith.

So, first critical bug has been found in the 7.0.934 release. It has been fixed and we are pushing out update notifications to 7.0.943 soon (before I go to bed, or tomorrow morning).

Atmel Studio 7.0.943 contains a fix for the following bug:

• AVRSV-7459: Projects containing files with upper case file names can fail to build. Saving files with upper case file names converts file name to lower case.

Last Edited: Mon. May 23, 2016 - 04:03 PM

How unfortunate that the revision number came our as 34 reversed. How confusing is it going to be when one asks "have you got the latest 943?"... "oh, yes, I have that 934!" (where they assume 943 was a typo for 934)

When i open a new C++ project and press "Show All Files" in the "Solution Explorer" window, I got the following error:

My setup: Virtualbox Windows 10 (newly installed, no other programmes installed)

I notice the path shows "GccApplication2" 3 times in it's path, while when i look in my folders, the path is:

C:\Users\IEUser\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\GccApplication2\GccApplication2\Debug

On top of that (possibly related), I have trouble renaming files throught the solution explorer (files are not added correctly to the project after they get renamed)

Last Edited: Thu. May 26, 2016 - 01:32 PM

meolsen wrote:

So, first critical bug has been found in the 7.0.934 release. It has been fixed and we are pushing out update notifications to 7.0.943 soon (before I go to bed, or tomorrow morning).

Atmel Studio 7.0.943 contains a fix for the following bug:

• AVRSV-7459: Projects containing files with upper case file names can fail to build. Saving files with upper case file names converts file name to lower case.

Oh. And I just got 934. I'll download it later when I'm not on 4G.

I've started a new C++ project with an Xmega256A3U.

Studio 7 (latest build, 943) reports that the chip has 57344 bytes of RAM available.

So do a few other XMEGA chips according to the chip data in Studio 7.

Where can I buy these?  It would solve a number of programming problems.

Harvey

Got Studio 7 installed on this new Windows 10 computer and was able to import a Studio 4 ASP file and compile it with no errors.

Now have a HEX file on the computer that I need to program into the ATTiny85V MCU chip.

What hardware and software should I use to program the MCU chip. On the XP system I used AVRISP-U and a Kanda board that had all kinds of sockets for various AVR MCU's.

Is there a software update I can do to this board to make it work with Windows 10?

BADBAUD

jonver wrote:

When i open a new C++ project and press "Show All Files" in the "Solution Explorer" window, I got the following error:

My setup: Virtualbox Windows 10 (newly installed, no other programmes installed)

I notice the path shows "GccApplication2" 3 times in it's path, while when i look in my folders, the path is:

C:\Users\IEUser\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\GccApplication2\GccApplication2\Debug

On top of that (possibly related), I have trouble renaming files throught the solution explorer (files are not added correctly to the project after they get renamed)

I also got this problem after updating to 7.0.943, did you solve it some way?

(Using windows 7 service pack 1, swedish system language)