Atmel Studio 7.0.1931 fails to communicate with Atmel ICE

Go To Last Post
21 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have an Atmel ICE that I haven't used for a while.  Meanwhile, I've gotten a new laptop computer with Windows 10 Professional.  So I'm installing latest version of Atmel Studio 7(.0.1931) and expects to be able to work with the Atmel ICE as normal.

But now I'm barely able to use the Atmel ICE.  Atmel Studio grinds to a halt when trying to communicate with it, and eventually times out where I get a dialog box to either stop waiting or to wait some more.  On rare occations I'm able to get connection with the Atmel ICE, and then I can read out fuse bits, read tool information, etc.  But when closing the Device Programming window and reopening it, I have to re-apply the ISP interface and then I'm back to square one.

I've used the Atmel ICE with Windows 10 Professional on my previous computer without any problems.  So I assume that either the Atmel ICE has become fauly, or there is an issue with Atmel Studio and/or the USB drivers for the Atmel ICE.

Does anybody have an idea as to where the problem might be?

Strange thing today..  When starting up Windows this morning, I started Atmel Studio and tried connecting to the Atmel ICE.  It worked flawlessly several times.  I was able to apply interface, read out device and flash the device without problem.  But then, after working a couple of hours on the code, connecting to the Atmel ICE was timing out again.  Starting to wonder if some other application on my computer is messing with Atmel Studio..

can it be something like this:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

I did not read all the replies, but might be the same issue.

I am having the same problem on my windows machine.. getting the following error:

If you can't explain why you fixed it, then you probably didn't fix it.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here...the topic here was about AS7...you are using AVR Studio

AS7 is Studio. Atmel Studio version 7

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

I think there was some years ago AVR studio...or ? I dont know never used it actually

For a couple of decades there was "AVR Studio" through versions 1 .. 6 but then Atmel added ARM support to it so they couldn't continue to call it "AVR Studio". It was "AVR/ARM Studio" but, presumably to prevent multiple name changes in future, they chose to call version 7 "Atmel Studio" instead. I can well believe (because it's the same code at heart) that some of the dialogs deep inside AS7 might still mention the "AVR Studio" predecessor.

It's clear from the picture that it's some version of AS5 ("AVR"), AS6 ("AVR") or AS7 ("Atmel") though. But it's not AS4 or before as that was something quite different (and unequivocally AVR only).

Yeah its Atmel Studio 7.0 build 2398. Getting this repeatedly after a fresh install. I even uninstalled and then reinstalled all the device drivers. Pretty frustrating

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Maybe it's the USB keyboard (Atmel-ICE is primary over USB HID for programming and debugging, USB CDC ACM for COM, USB custom for DGI)

AS7 - Atmel Studio is Busy | AVR Freaks

edit : strikethru; COM is on Power Debugger.

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 2, 2019 - 07:15 PM

clawson wrote:
presumably to prevent multiple name changes in future, they chose to call version 7 "Atmel Studio" instead

and then they got taken-over by Microchip !

laugh laugh laugh

EDIT

Similar story for what the 'A' stands for in "ASF" ...

Top Tips:

1. How to properly post source code - see: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment... - also how to properly include images/pictures
  2. "Garbage" characters on a serial terminal are (almost?) invariably due to wrong baud rate - see: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/serial-communication
  3. Wrong baud rate is usually due to not running at the speed you thought; check by blinking a LED to see if you get the speed you expected
  4. Difference between a crystal, and a crystal oscillatorhttps://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
  5. When your question is resolved, mark the solution: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
  6. Beginner's "Getting Started" tips: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
Last Edited: Wed. Oct 2, 2019 - 07:18 PM

I had this problem with that message a few days ago after installing code vision licence version (where the demo was already installed)

Did it a few times but then it's working now at least yesterday. I am using Windows 10 but I have a wired keyboard and wireless mouse

connected to a 2 port USB switch to switch between two different computers. That's my setup.

I am now having a similar problem.  Latest Windows10 64bit, latest AS7 ( 2398 - reinstalled after uninstalling AS and all the Amel drivers.)

AS7 doesn't see my ATmega4809 Xplained Pro, even though "Device Manager" shows the Com port, the DGI, and an HID "vendor defined" device.

I do have Freescale CodeWarrior installed on the same laptop, and I think it has a Jungo driver - could that be the problem?

the same Xplained board shows up fine on AS7-1931 on a VM on my mac (but seems to have other problems, thus my attempt to try the PC.)

Grr.  Has this really been going on since 2015, with no better solutions than "try uninstalling and re-installing stuff"?  Really Frustrating!

westfw wrote:
... and all the Amel drivers.)
Might also consider WinUSB in addition to Atmel; the rate of Windows 10 USB issues has significantly decreased though not yet zero.

Windows 10 driver quality updates can be excluded apparently even in Home.

A Windows 10 recovery can roll-back further than the ten day duration limit (previous Windows 10 build is stored for 10 days)

"If it ain't broken then don't fix it" (one configuration controls Windows 10 in-lieu of the ones at Microsoft, Windows 8.1 is the most reliable Windows, Windows 10 is the most secure Windows)

westfw wrote:
the same Xplained board shows up fine on AS7-1931 on a VM on my mac ...
Windows 10 build? (major.minor)

Reason : a known functional Windows 10 build

Thanks!

How do I get my Tool to be recognized by Atmel Studio? | Atmel Studio 7

WinUSB (Winusb.sys) | Microsoft Docs

Exclude drivers from Quality Updates | Configure Windows Update for Business (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

How to disable Win10 driver updates @ AskWoody

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/another-win10-rant-frustration-part-2?page=2#comment-2467891 (Windows 10 recovery)

Windows 10 - release information - Windows Release Information | Microsoft Docs

Windows 10 build? (major.minor)

Reason : a known functional Windows 10 build

Working VM:

Windows 10 home 1903: 18362.356

Atmel Studio 7.0.1931

Atmel Driver Files 8.1.35

Atmel LIBUSB0 (64bit)  7.0.125

Segger drivers 7.0.417

Atmel WinUSB 6.2.32

(device manager DGI 42.2.0.0, COM 7.2.0.0, USB Input 10.0.18362.175

Non-working Laptop:

Windows 10 home 1903: 18362.356

Atmel Studio 7.0.2389

Atmel Driver Files 8.1.39

Atmel LibUSB0 (64bit) 7.0.125

Segger drivers 7.0.417

Atmel WinUSB 6.2.32

(device manager DGI 43.0.0.0, COM 7.3.0.0, USB Input 10.0.18362.175)

FWIW, I installed the latest AS7 on a second VM running an older version of W10, and it seems to work fine, too.

I noticed that I didn't get the usual dialog asking about "trusting" the driver installation when installing AS7 on the non-working laptop.  Does that mean that it's picking up "existing" versions of the libraries rather than re-installing them, or has it just remember that I "trust" Atmel Norway?

Total votes: 1

I solved my problem by disabling the Atmel DGI (Data Gateway Interface) Driver.

I was uninstalling the atmel device drivers with "delete driver files" from the device manager, in preparation for a hopefully "clean install", but then the CDC driver was replace by one from Arduino, and of course the HID interface didn't really get deleted, and I figured I'd try AS7 without "repairing" first.   And it worked.

It's repeatable.  After a repair, the DGI interface is back and the Xplained is not detected by AS7.  Disable the DGI driver, and it'll show up.  Reenable it, and it won't show up.

Weird.

I don't know if this will help the Atmel ICE problems; I've heard that the ICE and Xplained Pro have the same hardware and firmware, but I didn't think that the ICE had connections for the DGI (which lets you speak I2C and SPI to your target, as well as the CDC and JTAG.)  Worth checking.

May you create an issue through tech support?

Thanks!

westfw wrote:
... but I didn't think that the ICE had connections for the DGI (which lets you speak I2C and SPI to your target, as well as the CDC and JTAG.)
DGI is partial on Atmel-ICE, complete on Power Debugger (adds UART, TWI, GPIO)

Microchip/Atmel support page | AVR Freaks

Connecting to Data Gateway Interface | Atmel-ICE

Data Gateway Interface | Power Debugger

CDC Interface | Power Debugger (UART)

Total votes: 1

Submitted Case Number :  00467794:  https://microchipsupport.force.c...

(won't show up for anyone else, though?)

Going to try this solution later but I am pretty sure this is my problem, I have a corsair gaming mouse :/

https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment/2043856#comment-2043856