Atmel Studio 6.0.1996 available (Service Pack 2)

Go To Last Post
82 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

A new service pack for Atmel Studio 6 is now available.

Download from:
http://www.atmel.com/tools/atmelstudio.aspx

Release notes:
-------------------------------------------
Service pack update for Atmel Studio 6.0

New and noteworthy:

New Atmel Gallery
Support for Atmel Studio 6.0 IDE SDK based extensions

Issues fixed in this service pack

AVRSV-3296 - Create from Usage inserts C++ method body in .c file
AVRSV-3102 - Change default Refactor Document Method snippet
AVRSV-3574 - Caret jumps to start of line when typing ::
AVRSV-3655 - PORT_struct fields OUT and IN not in listbox
AVRSV-3898 - File name in editor is not updated when using "Save as"
AVRSV-3889 "“ Atmel Studio 6.0 Service Pack 1 breaks device support for SAM3U and SAM3X devices
AVRSV-3961 - STK600 flash programming algorithm fails for XMEGA devices with 128B pages
AVRSV-3910 - Sbic instruction is not highlighted in assembler projects.
AVRSV-3925 - AT90CAN128 size calculation is wrong
AVRSV-3953 - The "Copy to clipboard" button in the device programming dialog, can cause Atmel Studio to crash.
AVRSV-4002 - Clearing SAM lockbits from ProgDialog fails for lockbits over 8

Updates
Atmel Software Framework (3.5.0)
ARM Toolchain (4.7.0.59 - GCC 4.7.0)
CMSIS (2.10)
AVR Toolchain 8 Bit (3.4.1.830 - GCC 4.6.2)
AVR Toolchain 32 Bit (3.4.1.348 - GCC 4.4.3)
Visual Assist X for Atmel Studio (10.7.1904.0)

New supported devices
ATA5790
ATA5795
Atmega64RFR2
Atmega128RFR2
Atmega256RFR2
ATSAM4LC2A
ATSAM4LC2B
ATSAM4LC2C
ATSAM4LC4A
ATSAM4LC4B
ATSAM4LC4C
ATSAM4LS2A
ATSAM4LS2B
ATSAM4LS2C
ATSAM4LS4A
ATSAM4LS4B
ATSAM4LS4C
Atxmega8E5
Atxmega16E5
Atxmega32E5

Known issues
AVRSV-4050 - User signature on RFR parts can only be accessed by JTAG or parallel programming
AVRSV-3828 - ATA* devices are not supported by AVR Assembler

This service pack also includes the following features and issue fixes from service pack 1

Support for Windows 8
Support for new SAM4L device family

AVRSV-3744 "“ Applying Atmel Studio 6.0 patch 2 breaks struct evaluation in watch view, quick watch and tooltips
AVRSV-3615 "“ Debugging of ATmega32HVB revision B does not work
AVRSV-3468 "“ ATtiny85 is not supported as a STK500 programming target
AVRSV-3537 "“ ATmega8 and ATmega8A is not supported as an AVR Dragon target
AVRSV-3636 "“ ATtiny26 is not supported as a JTAGICE3 target
AVRSV-3591 "“ Improved error reporting for common USB driver errors

This service pack also includes fixes for the following issues fixed in Atmel Studio 6.0.1882 public patch2

AVRSV-3626 "“ Each launch session would leak a number of objects due to a missing destructor call. In the case of large ELF files with e.g. lots of macros (compiled with "“g3), this could exhaust the backend memory in a few launches resulting in allocation failure and backend crashes.
AVRSV-3606 "“ When "Use tool polling" is enabled, an active Segger session may be closed unexpectedly.
AVRSV-3161 "“ J-LINK Ultra and Pro tools are not supported.
AVRSV-3632 "“ Wrong criterion used for selecting clock source caused a slowdown in programming speed by a factor of 10 for some devices.
AVRSV-3511 "“ Multiple instances of atprogram might interfere with each other and make tools temporarily unavailable
AVRSV-3588 "“ Stop debugging when running hangs backend for UC3 targets.

This service pack also includes fixes for the following issues fixed in Atmel Studio 6.0.1863 public patch1

DEVXML-310 - Debugging of ATmega32HVB does not work
AVRSV-3545 - Programming UC3 is slow compared to AVR Studio 5.1.
AVRSV-3252 - Atprogram and daisy chain: The order of the daisy chain arguments are reversed.
AVRSV-3544 - Automatic enabling of the debugWire interface fails on devices missing the CKDIV8 fuse.
-------------------------------------------

Enjoy! :D

Quote:

Atxmega8E5
Atxmega16E5
Atxmega32E5

Oo-er. Google reveals nothing about these. Have they even been press released?

As for the service pack I don't see a fix for the SEI issue in the list - possibly one of the most talked about faults in SP1?

After registering to get the 0.5GB version to upgrade this is the link Atmel sent me for those who want to avoid registration:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/as6i...

Be warned however that it did not download 0.5GB it downloaded 116 bytes which crashed when I ran it. So either the file isn't there or the Atmel server is not working correctly.

EDIT: I see why - clearly I jumped the gun and the file was not yet in place for download:

E:\>type as6installer-6.0.1996.exe
This is a placeholder file.  If you find this file on atmel.com, please inform the Webmaster at webmaster@atmel.com.

can we not just download and install the service pack from the extension manager without having to download a huge file containing asf 3.5.0 which I just downloaded ?

Quote:

EDIT: I see why - clearly I jumped the gun and the file was not yet in place for download:

File now in place - 585MB downloading now.

But I am guessing you never sleep clawson. What time is it over there ?

Quote:

What time is it over there ?

I should ask you that question. Here it's just coming up to half-one in the afternoon and I'm about to take the Bengals for a walk.

Correct, he never sleeps. CLawson is actually a Xylok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_...(The_Sarah_Jane_Adventures)

The largest known prime number: 282589933-1

It's easy to stop breaking the 10th commandment! Break the 8th instead. 

Last Edited: Tue. Nov 13, 2012 - 03:20 PM

I was wondering who would notice the XMEGA E support first...

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Well go on, don't keep us on tenterhooks, what is "E" ?

clawson wrote:
Well go on, don't keep us on tenterhooks, what is "E" ?

It will be anounced soon enough :P

(And I hesitate to say even that, as most who knows doesn't want to know)

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Morten, why the hell was my Atmel login account banned when I updated from one of the internal builds to SP2? Now I can't access the gallery, and I can't make a new account with my existing email...

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Tried to do a reset using the brand spanking new gallery at http://gallery.atmel.com ?

Some fancy marketing talk about it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A...

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Hmm. My download got to 7% and stopped. Now says it will take 29 days 14 hours 36 minutes...

The largest known prime number: 282589933-1

It's easy to stop breaking the 10th commandment! Break the 8th instead. 

Heh...I just downloaded it...took about 30 seconds. :)

Has anyone taken a look at the new gallery extensions yet?

Quote:

Has anyone taken a look at the new gallery extensions yet?

As soon as I started I got a pop-up saying it was out of date and would I like to update. I took the option. It took me to the Extension Manager so because it was "Free" I took the download option. The AS6 crashed completely.

I think I'll wait for that one to settle down a bit before exploring further - maybe in the next service pack?

Hrm, try again - worked for me. There was an initial delay between clicking and getting the download (contacting the server?) but my work and home PCs updated just fine.

It's not the updated gallery that's exciting, but what's *in* the updated gallery.

OK, trying now. BTW your sig just went out of date ;-)

EDIT: yup installation appeared to work this time - why is it not digitally signed and why did I have to untick the "protect my computer" box?

Actually, talking of that "protect my computer" box. The other day I tried four times to download and install the 3.4.1 toolchain from extension manager and each time it took about half an hour to download 100MB (or whatever it was) then at the end of the process I got an exception error and lost As6 and had to start over. It was only on the 4th attempt and a couple hours of frustration later that I unticked the "protect" box then it installed without error. The irony is that all that time was now wasted as this SP2 appears to have installed an ever newer toolchain (still 3.4.1 but the next number is later).

BTW now that I've got this gallery thing what am I supposed to do with it? I see this. The only "active" bit of this dialog I could find was the ability to upload an avatar - but now what???

Attachment(s): 

Oh wait, when I press Edit - it opens Firefox and takes me to here...

Attachment(s): 

Go to the extension manager, view the currently uploaded extensions.

Quote:

Go to the extension manager, view the currently uploaded extensions.

Yes? Then what? Are you saying something has changed in the world's worst designed dialog since last time? Is this like one of those "spot the difference" competitions? ;-)

Can't you see the new extensions (CPPCheck, Doxygen, FreeRTOS Viewer, etc?).

I can see those - are they new then? I did look at Extension Manager before but there was nothing of interest there for me (well OK I got the serial terminal), as far as I can see nothing's changed.

Are you saying that if I hadn't done the "gallery" thing I would not be seeing those.

Oh and regarding cppcheck, as far as I can see it's an utter pile of poo. read this:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

(less errors than -Wall!)

Well OK I take it back - I found something in the extensions I'd like to install - there's an add-on there for "Spaces". So I picked download. That switched to Firefox and downloaded a .msi file which I then started from a Command Prompt. A little while later it said - see picture.

(oh dear - I guess I'm just unlucky with this stuff?)

Was I wrong to have run it "outside" AS6 - was it supposed to execute within the AS6 environment somehow? It didn't offer that option - when I picked it in the extension manager, like I say this just switched to Firefox and did a normal binary download.

Attachment(s): 

Freertos viewer and Freertos+ Trace extensions are cool. Can't wait to test them with my project.

Yeah, the spaces addon is borked - I'll tell EW tomorrow. Not so much a smooth launch for that one, but I daresay the others should be pretty neat to those they interest.

During installation of SP2 there is a message about installing ASF. Then, after upgrading the gallery, there is yet another new ASF announced. Is this correct?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Dean: Could you please talk to the designers of the Exxtension Manager dialogue, that they for the listing of the available extensions they should pick either a list view or a paged listing. By doing a combination of both they more or less lose the points of both of them..

Now to test the Spaces extension..

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Doh! The Spaces cant install because "Another installation is in progress". Is that the ASF dowload? All I have running is FireFox (one AVRfreaks tab, FireFox Downloads doing the ASF), a Windows Explorer into my Downloads folder and Atmel Studio. Is the Spaces install really blocked by the ASF download?!? That one has a forecast of another 43 minutes before done.. :(

I have studio installed on 2 computers. 1x win7 and 1 x XP.

on the XP system I occasionally get a blue screen of death when doing things in teh extension manager of studio. It had seemed to be to do with "gallery" but today it occurred when i asked for an updated list of software.

I know that this is a vague description but I have not yet seen a patter (and am not highly motivated to keep crashing my machine :( ).

Has anyone else had this sort of issue?

regards
Greg

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Dean: Could you please talk to the designers of the Exxtension Manager dialogue, that they for the listing of the available extensions they should pick either a list view or a paged listing. By doing a combination of both they more or less lose the points of both of them..

Now to test the Spaces extension..

am I the only one who finds that extension manager dialog just about the most counter intuitive user interface ever inflicted on mankind. Has no one ever heard of IBM CUA? Things you should click should look like links or buttons.

The whole extension manager thing is very strange: It is integrated in Studio, but yet when you say you want something the download is delegated to your default web browser. Then when the download is finished you are asked to exit Studio so that the extension can be installed. IMO Atmel would be just as well off just having a web page with available extensions, and a link to that web page in Studio.

I fail to see the point of it as it stands now.

I see a point in having it, as it tells you what updates are available and which are already installed.

The problem is that it doesn't really work. For instance, it lists SP1 as an available download despite the fact that I installed it a long time ago. And SP1 is a huge download, too.

The naming of such a component - "extension manager" - is very misleading too. I stumbled upon it by accident. "Atmel studio updater" or something to that effect would be better. And it should run automatically, telling you every once in a while that new updates are available.

Who considers several hundred megabytes worth of service pack download an "extension" anyway ?

Sid

Life... is a state of mind

Eric is looking into the Spaces extension.

Quote:

IMO Atmel would be just as well off just having a web page with available extensions, and a link to that web page in Studio.

http://gallery.atmel.com

Quote:

"Atmel studio updater" or something to that effect would be better. And it should run automatically, telling you every once in a while that new updates are available.

But it's not supposed to be Studio updates (the patches are an exception of late) and the new extension manager *does* pop up notifications for extensions that are out of date.

Quote:

am I the only one who finds that extension manager dialog just about the most counter intuitive user interface ever inflicted on mankind. Has no one ever heard of IBM CUA? Things you should click should look like links or buttons.

Yes, it's horrendous - just go in, grab what you want and never look at it again. The gallery web interface is better.

abcminiuser wrote:
Yeah, the spaces addon is borked - I'll tell EW tomorrow. Not so much a smooth launch for that one, but I daresay the others should be pretty neat to those they interest.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it tomorrow (local). It's pretty late where I'm at.

And anyone can contact me *directly* if they have any issues with this. It's much faster with a direct email.

abcminiuser wrote:
Quote:

"Atmel studio updater" or something to that effect would be better. And it should run automatically, telling you every once in a while that new updates are available.

But it's not supposed to be Studio updates (the patches are an exception of late) and the new extension manager *does* pop up notifications for extensions that are out of date.

Maybe you didn't hear me. I was talking about the way it has been working up to now, and the way I think it should work.

What you're saying is that you've removed the important updates from the extension manager and apparently leave it up to the user to find them ?

In general, I don't want to deal with a fancy web site to find out what clever extensions are considered hot at the moment. In fact, I'd rather not deal with a web site at all.

What I would like is an automatic updater that let's me know when an important update, i.e. a toolchain patch or a service pack, is available. Then give me a button to click to get it.

The extension manager as it was, was almost there. It would list available updates, with short descriptions that would let me know whether I wanted to be bothered with installing them. The only problems were the ones I outlined in my previous post.

Sid

So, I cancelled the ASF download. Then tried to install the Spaces extension. I was told it could not install because another install is in progress. After assorted manouvres, including telling Downloads in FireFox to retry the ASF download, which then finished in seconds, I retried the install and got a bit if the way before the installer emits the error below.

I give up..

EDIT: Sorry. Just noticed the posts above about the same.

EDIT 2: I'm now trying to get out of the Spaces installer. The error message just keeps repeating, and will probably have to be killed from the Task Manager.

DEAN, ore anyone else with the power: What is needed right away is an edit of the OP in this thread, clearly stating that the Spaces extension is broken and no attempt should be made to download it. If you had a reactive web dept, the extension should be removed right away.

Until that happens: DO NOT TRY TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE SPACES EXTENSION. IT IS SEVERELY BROKEN AND WILL ONLY MAKE YOU FRUSTRATED.

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Wed. Nov 14, 2012 - 07:42 AM

And there you can again see the proficiency of Atmels web department, I assume. Spot anything strange in the image below?

Attachment(s): 

The only things I see in extension manager now are the ARMGCC toolchain, which I don't use, and the ASF which I don't use either.

So I guess I'll download the ASF to see if other things show up after that ?

When, after a download that takes forever, the installer says that "this may take a few minutes" they are not kidding. Installing the new ASF takes forever.

Sid

Once we get the modular AS9 everything will be well as one will be able to pick only the stuff one actually uses. :?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Quote:

The whole extension manager thing is very strange: It is integrated in Studio, but yet when you say you want something the download is delegated to your default web browser.

And the definition of irony is ... :

AS6: View-Other Windows-Web Browser

:-)

I guess, if the extension is built as msi installer then it would take you to the default web browser otherwise it shall work totally within Atmel Studio

Regards,
Deena

Quote:

if the extension is built as msi installer then it would take you to the default web browser

Why can AS6 not recognise that it's a binary and at least invoke it's own browser within the AS6 IDE? Same goes for that Gallery add-on thing. When you [Edit] (which seems to be its only route to get to the rest of the gallery stuff at atmel.com) then again it just invokes Firefox rather than "keeping it in the family". This just looks messy/shoddy. The I in IDE stands for Integrated.

One of the reasoning behind not allowing extensions to be downloaded within Atmel Studio is that if the size of the extension is large it would block the user from using atmel studio till the download is complete.

It is assumed that msi would be of larger size. For example, some of the msi installer extension (ASF, Keil MDK-ARM Toolchain) are with huge size whereas vsix are with smaller size.

Hence downloading msi extension[done in web browser] will not block Studio from usage where as vsix installers[downloaded and installed within Atmel Studio] would be of small size and hence will not cause studio to be unusable for long time.

Regards,
Deena

Last Edited: Wed. Nov 14, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Quote:

it would block the user from using atmel studio till the download is complete.

But when I downloaded toolchain 3.4.1 it tied up AS6 for half an hour (four times as it turned out!) - so what's different?

Quote:
One of the reasoning behind not allowing extensions to be downloaded within Atmel Studio is that if the size of the extension is large it would block the user from using atmel studio till the download is complete.

Last time I checked Windows still supported both spawning off new (sub-)processes, inter-rpocess communication (to report back the progress of e.g. a download) and threads (i.e. worker threads, the common technique to allow blocking/processing-intensive code to run while still letting a GUI app respond to user interaction). :roll:

How come both my daily used web browsers can initiate a download (e.g. three-quarters of a gig worth of AS6 SP2) and while that downloads I can happily surf the web? What loophole in the Windoze fabric did they find, that the AS6 folks missed?

I would imagine one could do an extension manager where you simply click an extension and select "install this", and then it goes silent while downloading and installing. It might be that installing some extensions touching the core of Visual Studio would require AS6 to actually not be running, but I doubt it. Other IDEs manages to install plugins without the IDE being stopped while doing it.

I guess the extension gallery is single threaded, which would explain why the downloads block the UI. I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

Now that we've all finished our latest whinge on the install process, can we discuss the enhancements and give feedback to their developers?

Quote:

Now that we've all finished our latest whinge on the install process, can we discuss the enhancements and give feedback to their developers?

I asked above if it is correct that the SP2 contains an updated ASF and then, on the first run of the extension manager it announces a new ASF. Is it the same version? (If so, then there is a bug in the extension manager, and I would suspect that to be valuable information to the developers.) If it is not the same, then I would consider that valuable information to the people putting together the SP2 install package.

If you consider this whining, then let me know and I'll shut up.

Should we start a new thread to give feedback on the functionality and capabilities of the extension manager itself?

Last Edited: Wed. Nov 14, 2012 - 11:57 AM

clawson wrote:
Quote:

it would block the user from using atmel studio till the download is complete.

But when I downloaded toolchain 3.4.1 it tied up AS6 for half an hour (four times as it turned out!) - so what's different?

Oops!! Sorry, clawson. only ASF is the msi extension from Atmel others are yet VSIX only.

Regards,
Deena

JohanEkdahl wrote:

I asked above if it is correct that the SP2 contains an updated ASF and then, on the first run of the extension manager it announces a new ASF. Is it the same version? (If so, then there is a bug[...]

It is the same version, and it is a bug indeed. I believe the problem occurs when someone has downloaded an earlier ASF version through the old extension manager, but not the latest.

The SP2 installer will install the latest ASF version, but your gallery account is blissfully unaware, and believe that you still have your previously downloaded version.

At least that's my theory. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the Atmel Gallery extension.

I've filed this as a bug in the Atmel Gallery extension project.

Quote:

If you consider this whining, then let me know and I'll shut up.

No, that's actually useful feedback. I installed a fresh copy of Studio with SP2 already integrated, so I can't say what the patch version does. If ASF appears in the gallery it should have a little green logo to the side if you have the latest version, otherwise it should offer to update it for you.

You can check your ASF version from the Help menu - the latest is 3.5.0.

Pages