Atmel Studio 6.0.1938 available (Service Pack 1)

Go To Last Post
28 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

A new service pack for Atmel Studio 6 (6.0.1843, 6.0.1863 OR 6.0.1882 => 6.0.1938) is now available through the extension manager.

Download instructions:

0: If you haven't, update your Extension Manager first 1: Open the Extension Manager from Atmel Studio 6.0 (Tools > Extension Manager...)
    2: Select Available Downloads to find the... available downloads.
    3: Select Atmel Studio 6.0 Service Pack 1 and Download
    4: If needed, create a new account or sign in.
Close Atmel Studio 6.0 before running the service pack installer. Depending on your installed browser, you may need to start the installer manually from your download folder.

Download size: ~150 MB

Release notes:
-------------------------------------------
Service pack update for Atmel Studio 6.0

New and noteworthy:

Support for Windows 8
Support for new SAM4L device family

Issues fixed in this service pack

AVRSV-3744 "“ Applying Atmel Studio 6.0 patch 2 breaks struct evaluation in watch view, quick watch and tooltips
AVRSV-3615 "“ Debugging of ATmega32HVB revision B does not work
AVRSV-3468 "“ ATtiny85 is not supported as a STK500 programming target
AVRSV-3537 "“ ATmega8 and ATmega8A is not supported as an AVR Dragon target
AVRSV-3636 "“ ATtiny26 is not supported as a JTAGICE3 target
AVRSV-3591 "“ Improved error reporting for common USB driver errors

This service pack also includes fixes for the following issues fixed in Atmel Studio 6.0.1882 public patch2

AVRSV-3626 "“ Each launch session would leak a number of objects due to a missing destructor call. In the case of large ELF files with e.g. lots of macros (compiled with "“g3), this could exhaust the backend memory in a few launches resulting in allocation failure and backend crashes.
AVRSV-3606 "“ When "Use tool polling" is enabled, an active Segger session may be closed unexpectedly.
AVRSV-3161 "“ J-LINK Ultra and Pro tools are not supported.
AVRSV-3632 "“ Wrong criterion used for selecting clock source caused a slowdown in programming speed by a factor of 10 for some devices.
AVRSV-3511 "“ Multiple instances of atprogram might interfere with each other and make tools temporarily unavailable
AVRSV-3588 "“ Stop debugging when running hangs backend for UC3 targets.

This service pack also includes fixes for the following issues fixed in Atmel Studio 6.0.1863 public patch1

DEVXML-310 - Debugging of ATmega32HVB does not work
AVRSV-3545 - Programming UC3 is slow compared to AVR Studio 5.1.
AVRSV-3252 - Atprogram and daisy chain: The order of the daisy chain arguments are reversed.
AVRSV-3544 - Automatic enabling of the debugWire interface fails on devices missing the CKDIV8 fuse.

This service pack applies to Atmel Studio 6.0.1843, 6.0.1863 and 6.0.1882.
-------------------------------------------

NOTE: As with previous updates, until the service pack is available on atmel.com, Check for Updates will tell you that your 6.0.(< 1935) installation is up to date.

Enjoy! :D

Nice!

Still the terrain is becoming a bit confusing.. Or is it the map?

What is the relation between "service pack" and "patch". AFAICT both hold/carry fixes for several problems. Is there a difference in how they are applied? Is it purely philosophical?

Now, what was the username/password I selected.. :roll:

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Quote:

What is the relation between "service pack" and "patch". AFAICT both hold/carry fixes for several problems. Is there a difference in how they are applied? Is it purely philosophical?

Only to keep us from counting to high :P

But on the other side, the name change is mostly due to the fact that this includes quite a bit of new stuff, not just bugfixes...

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

There are some formal requirements as well. Patches are mainly meant for bug fixes, while service packs may include new features, part support* and firmware upgrades as well. Service packs are more like a minor minor release.

I guess there's a gradual transition between one and the other, but they trigger different test routines internally, so it is useful for us to distinguish between the two.

*) Trivial part support may be added to a patch, I guess.

Any news on the visibility of member variables from inherited classes in the debugger? :)

regards
Greg

Well the release notes mention that the broken struct viewing of 1882 is now repaired. But not sure if this goes as far as inherited class viewing as I'm not sure it ever did that successfully. Give a link to the thread with a test case and I'll try it for you.

Quote:

Any news on the visibility of member variables from inherited classes in the debugger?

No, this has not been implemented. The patch fixed to whopsy regarding the structs that were introduced in a previous patch, but "cooler" C++ debugging features is still not something that is supported...

I have tried to download this "Service pack", but Atmel keep telling me that they have sent an email to allow me to reset my unnecessary password, but the said email never seems to arive. I am using a gmail address, as both my usual email accounts seem to throw the Atmel emails in the spam bin.
Seems one has to re-register for every minor change. A good way to alienate people, IMO.
After all, I already registered to download AS6, so I can't actually have a copy on my computer to apply the "Service pack" to unless I'm registered.

Four legs good, two legs bad, three legs stable.

John,

If you get no joy PM me and I'll put it on an FTP temporarily so you can download a copy.

Cliff

The service pack is also on its way out to atmel.com, but as Dean put it: The biblical slowness of the web system leads us to push it to the extension gallery in addition to atmel.com...

Quote:
The biblical slowness of the web system

So? Dump it/them and set up your own?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

clawson wrote:
John,

If you get no joy PM me and I'll put it on an FTP temporarily so you can download a copy.

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. I have to nip ot for a while, but I'll send you a PM later.

John

OK, if you want it I'll start uploading it now as it could take a while (the A in ADSL for me is very heavily biased one way!)

EDIT: upload started. I'm getting about 50K/s so WPUT estimates about 45-50 minutes.

PM sent.

Thanks for that, Cliff. It all seems to have worked OK.
One other question for anyone - the size information(text/data/bss etc.) seems much abreviated. Is there an option for this somewhere?

i did update Studio6 yesterday ....
well in fact i had to completely remove my current version 6, clean my registry because of and old sticky ASF.

so i installed Studio 6
and i installed service pack 1 (the full thing with asf).

BEWARE service pack installed correctly BUT, the last step, installing the ASF, it tooks nearly 1hour to do it !!!! i got the popup validating asf file doing merely nothing for that long!

so be really patient !
:*)

ps im on vista32 :-)

Eclipse users BEWARE. If, like me, you choose to use both Eclipse with the AVR plugin and Studio 6 (each has many unpleasant attributes) you should know that if you install this service pack on an XP machine, the stability of the Eclipse debugger may be significantly reduced. This is what has happened to me.

The download seems to be broken. http://www.atmel.com/Images/as6i... is a dummy file about 1k in size, not the actual installer.

Anyone have a working link?

To apologise for my snide comment yesterday I'll PM you a location where I have placed a private copy to share amongst a few people ;-)

Thanks clawson. Apology accepted :-)

Incidentally the download directly from the Extensions Manager seems to be working, but there is no progress bar so I don't know if it a) really is downloading or b) if it is going to finish this week.

Quote:

b) if it is going to finish this week.

Only if you're lucky. It's (only!) 148MB but it seems Atmel may have it on a sevrer run on steam and rubber bands.

BTW the MD5 is:

E:\>md5sum as6installer-stable-servicepack1-6.0.1938.exe
3bd66a398741c51653aa923e4c0e704b *as6installer-stable-servicepack1-6.0.1938.exe

Atmel should just drop the pointless registration (I always use mailinator throw-away addresses anyway) and do torrents. I'm downloading the ASF update at under 50k/sec...

mojo-chan wrote:
The download seems to be broken. http://www.atmel.com/Images/as6i... is a dummy file about 1k in size, not the actual installer.

Anyone have a working link?

I emailed the webmaster and the download has been fixed. Pity about the speed though

Looks like they threw some more coal on the fire. I am downloading at about 4MB/sec now.

Is it me or did IntelliSense disappear?

Text options are selected to Auto List Members, but no IntelliSense? Was working fine before update.

Quote:

Is it me or did IntelliSense disappear?

It's provided by VassistX. If it's not happening for you maybe that is disabled?

VassistX does not appear on the toolbar anymore??

Couldn't find a solution, so I uninstalled studio and reinstalled it. Everything seems to be back in working order. Thanks.

Springvar wrote:

0: If you haven't, update your Extension Manager first

I'm trying this for the 2nd. time, now on another PC, and I must be getting too old, it's as bad as on my first attempt.

This is a fresh install on a Windows7 PC. Just downloaded the AS6, service pack & all. (This time I was already recognized and did not need to fill in the big form. Thank You Atmel!).

Installed AS6.
Started it and went directly to extension manager to update it.
Logged in, and the login window disappeared.
AS6 locked up. Left it for an hour, still locked up using 25% CPU.
Shot it down using program manager.

Did this twice.
On the third attempt it did not lock up. The only difference being I did not run it full screen as I thought it may be hiding a prompt behind it.

Is it me that's flakey or is is AS6?

Can I trust that this did not leave me with a broken AS6?
On my other PC it was pretty much the same story and it seems to work, except it does not allow debugging using JTAG3.

Einar Sjaavik