Atmel Studio 6.0.1863 available

Go To Last Post
70 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

A new patch for Atmel Studio 6 (6.0.1843 => 6.0.1863) is now available through the extension manager.

Note: There is also an update to the extension manager available, and I would recommend to download that update first.

http://ase.atmel.com/Products/Details/931a0a8b-c2c0-402e-b149-82715480a726

Download size: ~23.5MB

The patch fixes the following issues:
DEVXML-310 - Debugging of ATmega32HVB revision E using debugWire does not work.
AVRSV-3545 - Programming UC3 is slow compared to AVR Studio 5.1.
AVRSV-3252 - Atprogram and daisy chain: The order of the daisy chain arguments are reversed.
AVRSV-3544 - Automatic enabling of the debugWire interface fails on devices missing the CKDIV8 fuse.
AVRSV-3492 - Fails to ask the user if she wants to enable debugWIRE and subsequently to enter debug mode.

Enjoy! :D

Where's the update to the extension manager? Confused freaks want to know!

The largest known prime number: 282589933-1

It's easy to stop breaking the 10th commandment! Break the 8th instead. 

To get the Extension Manager Update:

Start Atmel Studio
Select Tools->Extension Manager
Select Available Downloads
Select Atmel Studio Extension Manager
Download.
If you have not logged in/registered before do so now (a must)
Wait for download to complete (it is 2 Mb) and intallation starts.
Restart Atmel Studio

The new Manager displays more information for download progress and download of large installation packages such as ASF (300 Mb) is started in a browser window and does not block Studio

Lars K

Quote:

OMG, exactly how many times do Atmel need to know I'm a space-shuttle pilot living in Azerbaijan with 4 billion employees? ;-)

clawson wrote:
Quote:

OMG, exactly how many times do Atmel need to know I'm a space-shuttle pilot living in Azerbaijan with 4 billion employees? ;-)

2 if you remember the login afterwards :P

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Slightly OT: I was about to upgrade a machine with the beta to the RTM version. I spotted a mail from Atmel announcing the RTM being available. I followed the link in the mail that Atmel sent me but ended up at the usual registration page.

Atmelo knows I have downloaded Atmel Studio 5 beta.
Atmel has my contact information.
Atmel invites me to upgrade (nice gesture).

They do so by using my contact info, already known by them.

They still end up asking who I am.

It is thus proven that at least one certified is working at Atmel. Not that there has been substantial doubts before this event, but a proof is a proof.

:evil:

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

meolsen wrote:
clawson wrote:
Quote:

2 if you remember the login afterwards :P

And that is the problem, Morten. Internet users today are required to

i) Log in in order to access many things, and

ii) use different passwords everywhere in order to up their security.

Now, I would guess that personally I am a registered user at somewhere between 50 and 100. Each additional, but totally meaningless login required, adds to the problem.

Could you explain the reasoning behind making the extension manager laden with the requirement to register and log in?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Yeah, like Johan said.

Quote:

Create a New Password

←back

Don't worry, it happens. We'll send you a link to create a new one.

:evil:

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Fri. Jun 29, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Quote:

Could you explain the reasoning behind making the extension manager laden with the requirement to register and log in?

I can't explain something that I don't understand :P

Morten this is not directed at you, please forward it to the appropriate department.

What a bogus process you have for updating a password. "Click on the following link" in the email was not a link at all. URL yes, link no.

Please look at other "more mature" sites to gain an insite on how to do things that make the user experience a nice experience. :)

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

larryvc wrote:
Morten this is not directed at you, please forward it to the appropriate department.

What a bogus process you have for updating a password. "Click on the following link" in the email was not a link at all. URL yes, link no.

Please look at other "more mature" sites to gain an insite on how to do things that make the user experience a nice experience. :)

Regarding the link, I would guess that it is not a link as most modern mail readers will warn/disable links in mails. (the text seems therefore a bit misleading)

Believe me when I say that there are much debate between us devs and the web gurus, but things are moving forward and in the right direction as far as I am concerned, albeit a bit on the slow side as always...

I'll post some bugs etc to the right teams as allways...

Registering?

Well, when you fill out the registration form, it gives you a form that asks you to accept the terms and .....

Then you submit that.

But the email came before, and it asks to to fill in all this information again, but then says, "Somebody with that email address is already registered." Well, of course, it's me.

So you close both these, and go back to tools and log in with the email address and Bob's your uncle.

ALARM ALARM ALARM PANIC

Now my Studio 6 can no longer run the debugger. I always use Simulator 'cause my Dragon croaked.

"Could not connect to local debug agent. Make sure that avrdbg.exe is started ..."

There's a warning on opening the app, "The avrdgb process exited with code 78."

Can you describe your project so we can see reproduce any problem.

I can Simulate or debugWire a project with no problems.
They have fixed the "Enable DWEN" prompt now!

David.

Quote:

"Could not connect to local debug agent. Make sure that avrdbg.exe is started ..."

You may try to run the debug agen manualy (it is under avrdbg in the atmel studio install path).

Also, see at this thread for avrdbg troubleshooting (https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=104239&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=avrdbg+properties)

Torby wrote:
ALARM ALARM ALARM PANIC

Now my Studio 6 can no longer run the debugger. I always use Simulator 'cause my Dragon croaked.

There's a warning on opening the app, "The avrdgb process exited with code 78."

Do not panic!
I had the very same problem myself. Turned out the Avast free antivirus solution did not like the installer. After running the update process again with the avast temporary disabled it got fixed.
I must admit that first I had the same reaction as you.

So even if you don't have any antivirus running, just reinstall the update. I hope this will fix it.

Hey!
Do we have the same issue?

I was debugging a AVR32 example project (standalone MACB example) and i got this:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: avrdbg.exe
Application Version: 1.1.0.105
Application Timestamp: 4fcd358d
Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.40219.325
Fault Module Timestamp: 4df2be1e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0007d0ac
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

I am not sure if its a bug of avrdbg.exe or if my library MSVCR100.dll its not the latest version.

Well i just debug it twice the first time with the default chip erase (so it can program the chip :) then i stopped the debugging session i chose skip the programming and i restarted a debugging session.

i just tried it once so its not sure if its a bug (windows...)

Lets see how many times i will see it...

Edit: I forgot to say my system> Win7 x64 (quite bloated installation) C2D 2.4ghz 4GBram 256mb Page file w patched AS6 - ASF 3.2.1 And a JTAGICE3
I have also some third party extensions installed:
Naggy 0.2.5
Productivity Power Tools
Ultra Find

I restarted AS6 i started a debbuging session and when i press the stop debugging button i get the avrdbg.exe crash which i just wrote then ofcourse it can't restart the debugging session until i restart AS6.
here is the output after the crash and tried to restart debugging without success.

00:23:02: [ERROR] Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
00:34:56: [WARNING] TCF command: Processes:terminate timed out
00:35:07: [WARNING] The avrdbg process exited with code 3
00:35:07: [WARNING] TCF command: Processes:terminate receiving failed, channel is closed
00:35:08: [ERROR] Failed to terminate the session.
00:35:24: [ERROR] Unknown exception on detecting USB device.
00:35:28: [ERROR] Unknown exception on detecting USB device.
00:35:32: [ERROR] Failed to launch. Error code 89710015 

I don't know that kind of error makes the first line of the output info as i can see that error just after i run AS6

DieCore wrote:
I restarted AS6 i started a debbuging session and when i press the stop debugging button i get the avrdbg.exe crash which i just wrote then ofcourse it can't restart the debugging session until i restart AS6.
here is the output after the crash and tried to restart debugging without success.

00:23:02: [ERROR] Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
00:34:56: [WARNING] TCF command: Processes:terminate timed out
00:35:07: [WARNING] The avrdbg process exited with code 3
00:35:07: [WARNING] TCF command: Processes:terminate receiving failed, channel is closed
00:35:08: [ERROR] Failed to terminate the session.
00:35:24: [ERROR] Unknown exception on detecting USB device.
00:35:28: [ERROR] Unknown exception on detecting USB device.
00:35:32: [ERROR] Failed to launch. Error code 89710015 

I don't know that kind of error makes the first line of the output info as i can see that error just after i run AS6

I have this same issue. In order to be able to start debugging again without having to restart the studio 6, press the jump to start button, then end the debugging session.

This way I only have to restart the studio 6 after every 6-7 debugging session :).

BTW, I already filed a bug report in the bugzilla about this.

press the jump to start button?
I didn't get it where is that?

Edit: Do you mean the reset (debugging) button?

Edit: Does anyone know any fix how to restart avrdbg.exe after a crash without to restart AS6 to resume debugging?

Yes, that's what I meant. I just did not remember what it was called.

What do you mean this is no time to panic? This time is as good as any.

AVAST! Just uninstalled the blasted AVAST and went back to avg. Will try the install again.

Quote:

Edit: Does anyone know any fix how to restart avrdbg.exe after a crash without to restart AS6 to resume debugging?

As it is the avrdbg process that contains the debug contexts, this is not possible

meolsen wrote:
Quote:

As it is the avrdbg process that contains the debug contexts, this is not possible

Would be easy for the SW AS6 team to implement an auto restart of the avrdbg process when it crashes as the user cant restart the proccess?

Quote:

Would be easy for the SW AS6 team to implement an auto restart of the avrdbg process when it crashes as the user cant restart the proccess?

It has been implemented and will be available in comming versions.

Lars K

Ok I am lost, I have spent last 15 minutes trying to create an account and log in

I keep getting this

Please complete all the fields and accept the EULA below

Invalid e-mail.

Only problem is the email address IS IN FACT VALID

Atmel knows it is valid as they sent me an email to that email address to confirm my email address

If I use IE it does appear as if the link to confirm email does not work UNTIL I enable unsecured content, if I use Firefox all is well with the link

However I cannot create an account as it says

Invalid e-mail.

I have completed ALL the fields and I am using a valid email address.

I have tried to open an account with a different email address and have the exact same problem

Invalid e-mail.

Once an email address is typed in the program thinks that account exists from that moment onwards, for example it lets me click forgot my password and it sends me an email to change my password, I change my password try to log in and I am back at filled in form to create a new account and when I click Submit I get

Invalid e-mail.

What do I do now?

Quote:
What do I do now?

Wait until Monday.

In the meantime curse the void skulls that get off on registrations and logins as soon as it comes to anything Atmel. I dare not use the proper term for them as I then would be banned from here immediately.

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Quote:
What do I do now?

Wait until Monday.

In the meantime curse the void skulls that get off on registrations and logins as soon as it comes to anything Atmel. I dare not use the proper term for them as I then would be banned from here immediately.

I fear you are absolutely correct on all points.

This is beyond ridiculous, I thought the idea was to make customers welcome, seems I may have been mistaken.

That is about as diplomatic as I can be.

EDIT:

There is a medical term used to describe that condition [NBD} No Brain Detected :-)

Quote:

Enjoy! Very Happy

Not.

I started with updating from AS 6 beta to the RTM version (build 1843). I then went through with creating a new username/password and logged in. (Yes, I succeeded with this.)

So, I follow the link in the OP above. Where is the button/link/whatever that you're supposed to use to download this patch? Either I am blind, or it does not exist.

Now, re-reading the thread I see that the OP was just some idiotic trick to make Atmel users pissed off, by posting a non-usable link. Trym enters and gives directions. So I follow them, up to "Select Atmel Studio Extension Manager". Then Trym says "Download". How? I have two disabled buttons: "Disable" and "Uninstall".

It can't get much worse than this. I almost wish Microchip had succeeded in the hostile takeover... :(

Well, at least I have another userid at another site. And yet a password to remember. Not that I have any use for it, it seems..

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Sat. Jun 30, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Quote:

Regarding the link, I would guess that it is not a link as most modern mail readers will warn/disable links in mails.

Then why on earth write "Please verify your email by clicking the link below"?

Either an amateur, or worse..

JohanEkdahl wrote:

So, I follow the link in the OP above. Where is the button/link/whatever that you're supposed to use to download this patch? Either I am blind, or it does not exist.

That bit me too. There isn't a link. The way I understand it, is that you have to load it from within Studio 6 via the extension manager after you log in. I.e., log in, open Studio 6, then download the updates via extension manager. That worked for me. HTH.

I finally decided to try Studio 6, and it went fairly well, except that it reflashed my AVRONE! and it won't work with the old AVR32 Studio now, so I guess I will now have to port my C++ project, maybe more on that later as I still haven't figured out how to import a C++ project and get the new ASF and ASF wizard, I just get the old ASF files.

Also, I had forgotten my password for my other Atmel accounts, so I tried with two different email addresses on two completely different worlds, to have it send me the link to reset my password. It's been almost a day, still no message at either account, and no, it isn't in my junk folder. So I just created yet another account, got the verification email, and got Studio 6 to download and update. I wonder how many accounts I have now. :wink:

Quote:

I.e., log in, open Studio 6, then download the updates via extension manager. That worked for me. HTH.

Not for me. See screenshot above. Yes, I was logged in in my web-browser. Not that I can see how this should matter for Atmel Studio though...

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Quote:

I.e., log in, open Studio 6, then download the updates via extension manager. That worked for me. HTH.

Not for me. See screenshot above. Yes, I was logged in in my web-browser. Not that I can see how this should matter for Atmel Studio though...

Yah, we were posting at the same time. I had to actually mouse click on "Available downloads", and it spins a while saying something like "Getting available downloads." and shows you more. The first screen that comes up, like you posted, is pretty much just a distraction. :lol:

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Quote:
What do I do now?

Wait until Monday.

I didn't have any problem downloading the patch from the extension manager but i firstly download the extension manager update even if i didn't know what that update fixes.

Here is the patch if you can't download it from extension manager. Its as i got it from Atmel and yes i haven't pack it with any viruses/rootkits/trojans etc those who are afraid to download it.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3001668745/as6installer-stable-patch-6.0.1863.exe

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Quote:

Enjoy! Very Happy

Not.

I started with updating from AS 6 beta to the RTM version (build 1843). I then went through with creating a new username/password and logged in. (Yes, I succeeded with this.)

Now, re-reading the thread I see that the OP was just some idiotic trick to make Atmel users pissed off, by posting a non-usable link. Trym enters and gives directions. So I follow them, up to "Select Atmel Studio Extension Manager". Then Trym says "Download". How? I have two disabled buttons: "Disable" and "Uninstall".

It can't get much worse than this. I almost wish Microchip had succeeded in the hostile takeover... :(

Well, at least I have another userid at another site. And yet a password to remember. Not that I have any use for it, it seems..

Maybe look under available downloads instead of installed extensions?

Quote:

I didn't have any problem downloading the patch from the extension manager but i firstly download the extension manager update even if i didn't know what that update fixes.

The extension manager update fixes quite a lot of download problems that was reported, especialy regarding ASF downloads.

The link was provided since the text displayed in the extension manager page cut some of the text out so that it were difficult to read all the changes.

It should be notet that the patch only adresses the given issues, nothing else...

meolsen wrote:

If you look at the screenshot he posted, I believe the confusion arises because "Available Downloads" is highlighted in the upper left. It would be clearer if the "Installed Extensions" was highlighted. Just a suggestion.

Quote:

Well.. That wasn't obvious. Yes, to look under Available downloads is. That it wasn't selected isn't. To me, Available downloads looks very much selected in my screen shot above.

Just in case this turns out to be significant. After installing the Extension Manager update I am told to restart Studio.

Well...

All I had open was FireFox and one Studio instance. Upon first click to d/l there seemed to be nothing happening, so I clicked it again after 15 sec's or so. This might be the cause.

Attachment(s): 

No-no-no... I have now exited Studio and behind FireFox there was a Save As dialogue. Interestingly, it was not killed when Studio was. And it does not announce itself on the task bar. This is probably to be blamed on Microsoft and their confusing idea about what is on the task bar and what is not. (I.e. pull up a few file Properties boxes, then put something over them. Now try to get to them without minimizing the window that covers them..).

The Extension manager patch was downloaded "silently". The Extension Manager patch installation started automagically after the download was finished.

The AVR Studio 6 patch download actually opened a new tab in my FireFox browser for the download, and the installation had to be started by me.

Is this correct/expected behaviour?

JohanEkdahl wrote:
And it does not announce itself on the task bar. This is probably to be blamed on Microsoft and their confusing idea about what is on the task bar and what is not.

Oh, we're playing the blaming game are we...

Perhaps it is that you are still using that POS Vista. :wink:

I believe that AS6 is still the culprit, a bit coarse in some regards, and definitely not very intuitive as you and I have had the same experience. :evil:

Last Edited: Sat. Jun 30, 2012 - 11:01 PM

It seems that the patched avrdbg process is not crashing when i am on a debugging session and firstly i click to stop (pause button) the microcontroller and then click the stop the debugging session.

This time even if the avrdbg process crashed when i click the stop button without the above "workaround" the AS6 shows to me a window to restart it so i dont have to restart AS6 as i was doing before. The strange thing is why yesterday when it didnt show anything to me after a crash...

The slow programming issue of UC3 its fixed anyway with the patch :)

Tested on a EVK1100

JohanEkdahl wrote:
The Extension manager patch was downloaded "silently". The Extension Manager patch installation started automagically after the download was finished.

The AVR Studio 6 patch download actually opened a new tab in my FireFox browser for the download, and the installation had to be started by me.

Is this correct/expected behaviour?

It is.

The reason being that the extension manager handles different types of files. The Extension Manager itself is distributed as an extension in the Visual Studio sense. A file of type vsix that is managed by the Visual Studio Shell. It is actually a zip-file and can be unpacked as such. Extensions are copied to the extension folder either under Program Files if marked for ALL USERS or under the users AppData if only available to the user installing it. AtmelStudio scans these folders at startup to load extensions. The Atmel Studio Patch is a full installer made with InstallShield and comes as en exe-file. The ASF is also made with InstallShiled but as a MSI installer. These uses the default browsers method for file download, assuming the latest Extension Manager is installed.
This is usefull because we can distribute far more powerfull installers than vsix-files and other files as well if we need to.
How browser-downloaded files are started depends on the browser. Firefox and Chrome just download, IE gives a choice of Run or Save.

Lars K

Didn't work it heavily since I reinstalled, but it is working. Of course, since the program is for a Tiny2313, it can't be very big.

I was going to post here that I got it going, but my internet had quit working.

I did contact Atmel Support, not sure that did anything however today I received an email from Atmel

Software Download
Your Download is Waiting for You
Thank you for registering a download,
Your download is waiting for you, click the link below.
Atmel Software Framework update for Atmel Studio 6

Followed the link and downloaded
as-asf321-msi-stable-6.0.0.135-win32.win32.x86.msi

Tried to install it and got Error 135 Data1.cab may be corrupted.

Downloaded the file one more time, restarted Windows 7, disabled antivirus, installed the file successfully.

Start AS6 and tried to use Atmel Studio Extension Manager to download more available files, which does not work for me.

I try to login to my account, it knows my email address, it accepts my password then a screen pops up

In order to complete setting up your account, please accept the End User License Agreement for using Extension Manager

I fill in all the fields, click Submit and I am greeted with

Invalid e-mail.

It is a valid email address, it is the same email address that Atmel used to email me the link for the software, it is the same email I use here on AVRfreaks.

SARCASM WARNING:
I am impressed with the amount of talent required to cause this many problems with a simple update.

To add my whining to this thread.
Tried to loggin, then tried creating a new account. I simply did not get the password recovery or confirmation email for the new account from Atmel. My email host must have deleted it because of the link in it. Then tried creating another new profile using a different email - gmail account. This time I got the confirmation email and could successfully log in with the extension manager. Sigh - this process took two days. Not funny! :(

I have been trying since Sunday, it is now Tuesday.

I reported the problem to Atmel support, no resonse so far.

I have tried to open 4 different accounts now with different VALID email adresses.

Each time I receive an email from Atmel with a link to confirm my email address. [so my email works and is a VALID email addres]

When I follow the link and fill in all the details and click on Submit I get the RED DOT invalid email address response.

Don't know what everyone is complaining about, they are trying to do you a favour by STOPPING you from downloading it. :mrgreen:

If you manage to download it then you would be complaining that it won't install properly or that it has bugs....no way of keeping people happy. :lol:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Nearly a week later, no response from "Atmel Support" and I cannot log in, I keep getting

Invalid e-mail.

Me thinks the patience of a Saint is required.

Sorry jabram, I'm not on support this week but it should not take more than three days to receive a response from an engineer - I agree that is unacceptable.

Are the emails you are using unusual in some way (special characters, etc.) by chance? If all else fails I can provide raw VSIX and MSI installers for you to patch your system locally if the login problems persist.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Rats I've been undone. I was planning to update Extension Manager and then AS6 but during the create account process I have to tick agreement to a license agreement and part of that is:

Quote:
In order to access certain Extension Manager services, you may be required to register and obtain an account.

You will:

a. provide true, accurate, current and complete information when registering and in any other forms presented in or via the Extension Manager (collectively, "User Data"), and

and later:
Quote:
j. creating user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses;

Saying I am "Mickey Mouse" is not accurate so how can I get past this?

Also WHY do I have to be age 13 or more (and 13-18 with parental consent) to use Extension Manager? Is it dangerous software that cannot be trusted in the hands of a child?

Ah yes, I see it further on - apparently there is a risk of child pornography - phew I was lucky I couldn't agree to access this den of iniquity!

I also find it hugely ironic that in AS6 the Help menu has "Check for Updates" where I am happily told that "Atmel Studio is up to date" - well that's OK then ;-)

Pages