Atmel-ICE + AS6.2 + ATMega6450: Unable to enter programming mode

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm trying to bring up a new board of mine based on an ATMega6450.  I'm running AS6.2 on Win7 x64 with Atmel-ICE (current firmware).  A week ago I was able to write to flash and read and set fuses via this setup and the JTAG interface.  Went out of town, came back, and now bupkis.  I can't even read the target voltage.  The green LED on the pod is lit, the board voltage reads 5.1V on a meter, I can program another board (ATTiny85) with the same pod using debugWire.  Using SPI via the micro squid cable I can read the target voltage, but trying anything else throws the error.  Full text is:  "Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00 (Command has failed to execute on the tool)."  ISP clock is set to 8 kHz (system clock is 32.768 kHz; I know, it's crazy slow and I'm trying to switch to the internal oscillator if I can get to the fuses).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Double check....triple check...quadruple check that you have the squid cable connected correctly.  The ICE can read the voltage properly and fail with the error you have reported because the connections are not right/poorly done.

8khz is right on the edge of the 1/4 of 32khz so you might be in trouble.  if teh 32khz is an external crystal try soldering a faster one in it's place.

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

For pinout I'm using table 3.6 (p. 21) of this doc:  http://tinyurl.com/huc2u75.  My system clock is an oscillator, so not so easy to replace.  I guess I could lift a pin and drive the trace with a signal generator; too late tonight for that so I'll try tomorrow.