ATmega32U4 ... a.k.a. at90usb324 (tqfp44)

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Preliminary datasheet is downloadable, engineering samples available ... press release went out yesterday ... sibling ATmega16U4, no datasheet ... "both devices will be shipping in volume in Q2 2008".

So what's the skinny here then? A real quick glance suggests that in technical terms this mostly fills out the midrange of the USB product line. The ATmega16U4 (at90usb164?) has 12 more pins than the AT90usb162, and some of those can be used for JTAG. ADC, hardware multiply, more timers, timer with 64 MHz PLL, more PWM, more USB endpoints, TWI.

We seem to be missing development boards. And the datasheet hasn't earned the USB 2.0 "certified" logo yet.

Anyone notice other goodies?

Looks like another target to add to MyUSB then. At least, if your deductions are correct, it shouldn't require any invasive changes as it would be compatible with the AT90USB162's port code.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Well, more endpoints (and FIFO memory) may involve changes ... I expect you're right about not needing invasive changes. The temperature sensor won't affect your USB code.

Oh, I meant to mention. The obvious Big Change is the rename. Evidently, Marketing noticed that "at90" doesn't exactly scream "AVR! AVR! AVR!" to most people. I wonder whether the at90usb{64,128}{6,7} will be replaced by ATmega{64,128}U{6,7} parts? As first generation devices, I can imagine there may be technical issues they'd like to address too.

And then ... maybe ATtiny{8,16}U2! :)

As usual - more than one U(S)ART would be nice!

C. H.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It's only waste if you don't use it!

abcminiuser wrote:
Looks like another target to add to MyUSB then. At least, if your deductions are correct, it shouldn't require any invasive changes as it would be compatible with the AT90USB162's port code.

Actually it looks more like the '647 if you look at it from an internal (registers/peripherals) perspective. In fact if you look at the multi function pins I suspect that there wont be much work to get code intended for the 64 pin parts ported. I have been promised samples by our local Atmel rep and am working on a design around it.

We will see if we have to fix personally the bootloader and the toolchain shortly. As another trek into where no man has gone before I expect to be cranky and mean for a few months. 8)

On that note. After bench-testing the Bootloader works out of the box. Schmit just release a new rev of dfu-programmer (fixed for the new chips) we just got a new rev of winavr with cooresponding AvrMacPack release coming soon I hope. (Library for this chip is usable begining at avr-libc 1.6.3). http://blog.tempusdictum.com/index.php/don/uncategorized/testing-the-atmel-mega32u4

Don,

How's LUFA stood up to the new chip? I don't expect you to have any problems, but I'd want any issues to be resolved before the next release.

I've never heard of the ATMEGA32U6 before now, I'll hack in support immediately, since it's compatible with the AT90USBXXX6/7.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Dean,
I will let you know if I find any lufa related issues with the new chip.

I suspect our local atmel rep was drunk since it was 8:15pm and he sent two semi coherent emails 3 times apiece. As near as I could tell he said that the U6 was to be out for sampling in Jan08. I am still waiting for clarification and an expected unit cost.

Don