ATmega328P Xplained Mini: mEDBG CDC not recognized in Windows 8.1 Device Manager

Go To Last Post
17 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Just purchased two ATmega328P Xplained Mini boards.  I can't get them properly connected in Windows 8.1.  While I have Atmel Studio open, then plug in a board, AS opens an ATmega328P Xplained Mini board page, so AS seems to recognize the board.  But, I can't open a RealTerm session, because there is no COM port associated with the board.  Going to Win8 Device Manager, it lists mEDBG CDC, indicating that the device driver is not installed (Code 28).  Clicking on Update Driver and having Win8 search automatically for driver software, Win8 says "Windows found driver software for your device (mEDBG Virtual COM Port) but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  The system cannot find the file specified. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software".  The message seems to contradict itself, saying it found driver software, but can not find the file.  I searched the Atmel site, but couldn't find anything (easily).

Restarting the computer didn't help.

I can take the board to a different computer (outside lab) running Win7, and the drivers install, a COM port is assigned, and I can open a RealTerm session.

Same on both boards.

Thoughts/suggestions/other???

What version of Atmel Studio are you using, include the build number if you can?

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Thanks for your reply!

It took a full re-install of Atmel Studio (and a full morning) to fix this.  What a pita ...

I was on 6.2.1153.

It now works on 6.2.1502

jl-dev wrote:
It took a full re-install of Atmel Studio (and a full morning) to fix this.  What a pita ...

I agree, but to be fair Atmel is working very hard to get the driver issues worked out.  I tested a beta USB driver installer and it worked quite well on Windows 8.1.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Thu. Jan 8, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Hi, I meeted same question. My laptop is SONY S13 windows 8.1. Atmel studio is 6.2 sp1. and I tried to install AtmelUSBInstaller-6.2.342.exe, but still can't work. Do you have any idea?

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

thank you~~ I solved the problem. 

thank you~~ I solved the problem. 

Last Edited: Mon. Feb 9, 2015 - 02:05 PM

You solved the problem?

Was installing the new USB drivers the solution to the problem?

Yes, I installed the new driver. Refer the website address https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/new-usb-installer-pipes from meolsen

I meeting the other problem. when I plug the other board, I can't find the driver on device manager, I try to program the board by JTAGICE3, but still can't work. I can find the device information on Device Programming of Atmle studio 6.  

It took a full re-install of AS6 for me.  Sorry, I don't have any further guidance.

Hi

I just purchased an ATmega328P Xplained Mini board. I can't get them properly connected in Windows 8.1.  While I have Atmel Studio open, then plug in a board, AS opens an ATmega328P Xplained Mini board page, so AS seems to recognize the board. When I click on Device Programming under Tools, I set the "Tool" to mEDBG, the "Device" to ATmega328P and the Interface to ISP. Then I click on Apply and it says "EDBG firmware must be updated before continuing". So I click on Upgrade, but the upgrade fails with this error: "EDBG firmware upgrade failed. Toggle power on tool and retry upgrade"
I've tried with different cables and also with atfw.exe in the command line with no succes. 
atfw.exe says: Generic Error thrown during firmware update

What should I do to make it work properly? 

kalmangabor93 --- Any useful progress on this? I have exactly the same problem [Windows 7, amd64]. Trying to run Torgeir Bjornvold 24th April 2014 tutorial. With a clean install, fails when upgrading firmware from 1.0 to 1.4. [I seem to remember that then trying the attfw.exe it stored version 1.6(?) on the disk, but upgrade failed.]

I may have found a clue at https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/6...

I have an issue recognizing the mEDBG tool in my Atmega328P board. The usb driver seems to be installed fine but the board is not recognized by atmel studio.

Can anyone know why this happens ?

I meet the same question, I have re-installed  of Atmel Studio 7.0.1006, it still exits.

Win7 Device Manager, it lists mEDBG CDC, who solve it , please give me some advices,thanks !