ATmega328P debugWIRE Questions

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi.  I am using the Atmel JTAGICE mkII Debugger with Atmel Studio 4 and 7 with the ATmega328P controller.  I'm curious to know the nitty gritty of how the debugWIRE operates.  Does the RESET/ line transmit data between the JTAGICE mkII debugger and target processor, in addition to controlling the reset signal?  Are the rest of the ISP signals (MISO, MOSI, SCK) used in debugWIRE operation?  Ultimately, I'd like to be able to overcome (drive) a 100 nF capacitor on the RESET/ pin that are on my production boards.   I know the mkII cannot overcome the capacitor and requires that it is removed.  Has anyone done something like this or know the internals of how the debugWIRE circuit operates?  Thank you for any help!!!

Total votes: 0

Well, yes, you need ISP to enter dw mode(AS will set the fuse as needed, don't do it manually), but once there, it only uses the reset line for communications. If you need to debug, then remove the cap and debug.

You can have the cap on your production boards, as debugging is done at that point. 

Jim

Keys to wealth:

Invest for cash flow, not capital gains!

Wealth is attracted, not chased! 

Income is proportional to how many you serve!

Lets go Brandon!