Atmega328p and ATxmega 64A3 Transistors Technology

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello all!

I've been playing a little bit with both chips and I'm a little curious about this: does anyone know what is the size of the transistors in these models? I was looking for some answers in the web, and the only reference I found was a blog ( http://rajeshkovvuri.wordpress.c... ) talking about the differences between 328 and 328p and guessing the process of each one. Does anyone have more information?

I'm almost a electrical engineer now (yay! just a couple more months :) ) and I would like to translate into real world applications all that stuff they explained us during the degree :)

Thanks in advance! ^^

Early AVRs were on 0.35um, later they used 0.18um then since they closed the Atmel fabs and outsourced I think they're now using 0.12um

Ok, so being the outsourcing around 2008 (right?) I should suppose 180nm technology for ATmega328p and 120nm for ATxmega64A3, then, right?

Thanks for the info, clawson :)

As I believe all chips are now produced by the outsource fab I imagine BOTH are made on the same fab process. Where necessary Atmel suffixed an A onto model numbers (such as mega328P becoming mega328PA) to show that the device was slightly different with new electrical characteristics introduced by the new fab geometry. (in one case (and I think it might have been the 328P to 328PA switch) they took the opportunity to also fix a silicon bug so the signature bytes changed too).