Atmega328p

Go To Last Post
14 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello all, I have been brain storming for a few years now about building my own SL BLDC speed controller. I have many online tools to help me do so. How well the Atmega328p proform as my uC. I want to run applications undernload in the 60-75v range with about 100-200a continuous maybe more. I also have found LDOs and DC to DC regulators to power the uC with 5v required. Ill be more than happy to share anymore details if needed for i will be glad to help you help me. Thanks. AVRF

Atmel have AT90PWM range which are far more suited for ESC design as they have built in features like dead time generation.

But I do wonder about anyone starting off with ESC design in this day and age. There used to be a time when people like Castle Creations were the "goto place" for ESCs and because their products were expensive there was reason to consider home design. But then the Chinese got in on the act (just as they've now done for things like Arduino too) and you can now buy an entire ESC for less than the MOSFETs alone would cost if you you try to buy them here. So what's the point?

Also, if you are making your own design it will have bugs and it will toast the MOSFETs while you work on the design. If you are powering a 200mA/11.1V motor operating at 50W..100W or something then that is one thing. If you are up at 70V/150A then the explosive destruction of your MOSFETs will likely fell small buildings!

Thanks for the reply. I saw a cool video where a guy used a atmega168 development board and his power control module, he builted his own power stage complete with LDOs, to power his mcu, gate drivers, caps, resistors, op amps, transistors, comparators etc. I would like to do the same for a SL BLDC motor controller for a fun project that im currently building. If more information is needed ill be happy to share. Thanks

Like I say buy a SMALL sensorless brushless and get that working first. When you have the control algorithm developed then trade up to higher voltage/current. It would be very unwise to start out with kilowatt applications - too much energy - too much danger of death.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2208...

Is a 7.4V..11.1V motor that weighs 36g and pulls a max 6A. So you are only around 50W with this. If you put a propeller on it you can probably still chop off a finger tip but otherwise you probably cannot do too much serious damage (well not unless the LiPo ignite!)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I fully understand start small and work up to my desired voltage and amp. I do understand that what im trying to build is complicated for im not an engineer just an electrician. The motorsi have are seriouslly powerful i have 4 to power my electric go kart witch means ill need 4 controllers in all. Ill start with some simple arduino esc reference designs understand how the components work and build to my desired ppwer levels. Thanks a lot.

Warning! There be dragons!
I don’t think i’d be starting with an Arduino unless the board is something like a xmc1100 that has specific hardware for motor control. Unfortunately, its not just a matter of scaling up - other problems scale up as well and become significant. I remember blowing up many $100 200A transistors many years ago and boy did they make some noise!
Personally, i’d suggest buying a motor driver and reverse engineering it. Hopefully you learn the secrets that you can apply to yours.

Kartman wrote:
Personally, i’d suggest buying a motor driver
!!!

Jim

Click Link: Get Free Stock: Retire early!

share.robinhood.com/jamesc3274

There are none on the market that will provide me with what i want. I found a solution. Electronics-Electrical engineering consultant.

Rcblack79 wrote:
There are none on the market that will provide me with what i want.

Surprising -- I'd think that this would be a mature market area with full coverage of the range of parameters.  If not full coverage then I'd think someone would have stepped in over the past decades.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Rcblack79 wrote:
power my electric go kart

When I was a kid, we were looking for horizontal shaft lawn mower engines,  later two stroke chainsaws were the rage!

With all the new electric cars, I could see where electric go-karts would be popular!   

Are there race clubs in your area?

Jim

Click Link: Get Free Stock: Retire early!

share.robinhood.com/jamesc3274

I claimed it as a go kart but its far from. I have 4 tp power 5870's (enough said) and they are monsters. I have to build a quad or two twin escs. For a none engineer that is and will be a hard task. There are tools and software to help me complete my vision. I stopped by avrf for ideas on a mcu that will be beneficial for this application. About 60 persent of what im trying i fully understand and the 40 is out there on Mars somewhere because its over my head. I have read hundreds of articales and now i have questions. Thanks a lot

The motors you mention are only 15kW - that’s not what would be considered ‘monsters’. A Prius has a couple of 40kW motors and they’re considered small. These can be got cheaply from wrecked Prius along with the electronics. You can also get motor/ driver packages out of China in the 10’s of kW range. If you’re only lookibg at the RC control stuff, then you’re limiting your vision.

Great point

There’s the VESC project. There seems to be a bit of interweb buzz about that.