Atmega2560 power down mode

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

If I put the device in power down and I am using the external oscillator. The data sheet says that the external oscillator will be switched off. In that case, then with which clock does the device run?

It doesn't run.
It goes to sleep.
It is in power down mode.

Four legs good, two legs bad, three legs stable.

If you look at Table 11-1 in the datasheet it seems to show that in "power down" there are NO active clock domains.

Having said that almost all AVRs have a 1MHz separate oscillator for watchdog and it will continue to "tick" even when everything else is stopped. That's why there's an X under the "WDT interrupt" column on the "Power down" line as that, INT7-0 and TWI address match are the only possible ways you can get the clocks started again.

A common power saving strategy on AVRs is to put them into a deep sleep mode, set the WDT prescaler for the slowest (longest) time possible and then let the thing sleep. When the WDT eventually fires the chips wakes up, has a quick look round to see if anything needs doing, maybe increments a counter variable in RAM and if that hasn't reached a target just starts the cycle again. You can run for a VERY long time on very little power doing this.

ah! Thanks Clawson. That was really helpful..

Quote:

almost all AVRs have a 1MHz separate oscillator for watchdog ... That's why there's an X under the "WDT interrupt" column on the "Power down" line as that, INT7-0 and TWI address match are the only possible ways you can get the clocks started again.

Just a couple of clarifications:

-- AFAIK all modern AVR models have a supplementary 128kHz oscillator used for watchdog, EEPROM, and ??? .
-- Note that external interrupts wake on low-level only, and repeatedly fire.
-- Pin-change interrupts also awaken the AVR. Generally, I lean towards those when used as a pure wakeup source versus the low-level.
-- OP mentioned "external oscillator". Hmmm--is that a "crystal"? As the AVR is driving the crystal, it will indeed be stopped. The AVR cannot stop an external clock source. It could, however, ignore it.
-- Note that a crystal clock source needs a few milliseconds to get going again and be stable.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.