ATmega168A "China-B" printed on components

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello all,
we are a PCB assembly company in Germany and I have two different types of ATmega168A (32 VQFN 5x5mm) here, which our customer bought for us.  We now need to do a quality check. One kind came on a component reel, the others in trays. Details on the components:

The ones on the reel:
Exact designation: ATmega168A-MUR
D/C: 2130
LOT: No longer recognizable on reel, according to component label "2130MYW".

The ones in the tray:
Exact designation: ATmega168A-MU
D/C: 1431
LOT: 4W2948J-1

In the picture attached you can see one part of the reel and one part of the trays in comparison. 
The components in the tray have the additional inscription "China-B" in the fourth line.I have already looked in the Part Marking Guideline from Microchip. I have already looked in the Part Marking Guideline from Microchip.For the components from the roll, the imprint matches the description.  For the components from the trays, there is no matching description in the Part Marking Guideline.

Can you tell us what this imprint on the components from the tray is about and whether these are original parts?

Thank you.

Patrick

Attachment(s): 

Total votes: 1

You should contact Microchip about this through an official support ticket. This is basically a support form run by users/volunteers. It's true the odd body from Atmel/Microchip do put in an appearance from time to time but this is not the official support route.

Moderator.

(PS When Microchip took over they issued a sequence of PDFs that noted how the marking in their fabs differs from the markings that Atmel were using - you might want to try locating those).

Okay thank you very much, we now found out how to write such a support ticket and opened one. You may know approximately how long it takes for Microchip to answer?

"(PS When Microchip took over they issued a sequence of PDFs that noted how the marking in their fabs differs from the markings that Atmel were using - you might want to try locating those)."

We already found these documents but they did not help in our case.

patrick_r wrote:
You may know approximately how long it takes for Microchip to answer?
It's usually pretty responsive - doubt you'll have to wait more than a day or two - but it presumably relies on some kind of "triage" so the right problem gets mapped to the right person and that can make time.

I am not familiar with VQFN marking.   But 1431 is clearly Atmel 2014.   And 2130 is Microchip 2021.   Week 30 is July 2021.

2014 seems like very old stock.

2021 week 30 seems like very new stock.

Do the assembled pcbs pass all the customer's tests?

2014 tray is probably surplus from a customer with discontinued product.   It should be fine as long as it has been kept dry.

David.

I can remember an Atmel FAE telling me that Atmel maintained manufacturing plants in China so it is entirely possible that those parts are authentic

Except for one thing......

The Date Code.  When Atmel was taken over(bought) by Microchip the Atmel name was wiped from new production so if those chips are indeed made this year that logo is incorrect...

I would suspect the parts.

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Jim, the China-B is on the 2014 parts.

Ross McKenzie, Melbourne Australia

valusoft wrote:

Jim, the China-B is on the 2014 parts.

I know that.  I was taking aim at the 'newer' parts.  In my re-read, I can see where I may have not made that clear.  Sorry about that

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

patrick_r wrote:
In the picture attached you can see one part of the reel and one part of the trays in comparison.
Atmel AVR have information on the package bottom whereas all on top for Microchip AVR.

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

jgmdesign wrote:
I can remember an Atmel FAE telling me that Atmel maintained manufacturing plants in China so it is entirely possible that those parts are authentic
Wafer fab'd by SMIC and still SMIC for some Microchip parts; packaging and testing is scattered.

Product Change Notifications | Microchip (enter SMIC)

ATMEGA128L-8AU/SL957 vs ATMEGA128L-8AURA6 | AVR Freaks

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

It's usually pretty responsive -

cheekycheeky we need the emoticon with laughing tears coming out of the eyes like the ones I have on the phone.......3 weeks + and no response yet for me.....

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly