ATMega1284P available for preorder at Mouser

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

While Digikey does not yet have this part on their website, Mouser does have this item available for preorder (but they do not list a estimate of ship time). I ordered a few of them. While I don't have an personal interest in this, being a 16K SRAM device, it would be a great AVR to use for a system running a BASIC language interpreter (and perhaps coupled to an external flash or eeprom chip for storing user programs).

Quote:
being a 16K SRAM device, it would be a great AVR to use for a system running a BASIC language interpreter (and perhaps coupled to an external flash or eeprom chip for storing user programs).

Or a JAVAcard virtual machine? ;)

Re storing the user programs: for "normal" use, who would realistically approach the 10k cycles if you just use the onboard flash and a bootloader-type setup? Only maybe in a classroom trainer.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

The fact that it has 16k of SRAM makes it very desirable in some of the enviroments I use the mega 128 in with externl ram.

Great info!!

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

theusch wrote:
Re storing the user programs: for "normal" use, who would realistically approach the 10k cycles if you just use the onboard flash and a bootloader-type setup? Only maybe in a classroom trainer.
Lee, are implying using SPM in the bootloader section and have the main program call that function to store programs in flash? I haven't tried that and am not certain SPM can be used in that way.

jgmdesign wrote:
The fact that it has 16k of SRAM makes it very desirable in some of the enviroments I use the mega 128 in with externl ram.
Oh yeah, that'd be a big design win.

what packages will this new AVR come in?

stevech wrote:
what packages will this new AVR come in?
From the 1284P product page ( http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product... ):
MLF (VQFN) 44
PDIP 40
TQFP 44

I see the data sheets now on line at Atmel.

Great, I was hoping that you'd see them on the link I provided.

Hi, the ATMEGA1284P's were available for pre-order on our site, but we are removing them for the time being. The latest info we have from Atmel indicates that the 1284P's won't be released to production until Q1 '09.

I apologize for any confusion or design delays this may incur. Sometimes in our effort to be the fastest to get new products to our customers, we get the new products out there a little too quickly!

Charles Bourne
Mouser Electronics

kmr wrote:
theusch wrote:
Lee, are [you] implying using SPM in the bootloader section and have the main program call that function to store programs in flash? I haven't tried that and am not certain SPM can be used in that way.

Why do you think it wouldn't? There is no rule that says SPM/Bootloaders have to write all fo flash, only a block. In this case the block contains a user application, in the form of a callable function, or interpretable data. The whole purpose of SPM is to be able to write code or daTa into flash, the only restriction is that the spm instruction itself must be executed from within the bootloader section of flash.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

I used to write to atmel eeproms from the hc11 by block moving a little 3 instruction subroutine to ram that picked up the byte to be burned, wrote it to the eeprom, then polled the busy bit, then returned. I could save params a byte at a time in instruction memory. The microstamps were using hc11s that didnt have internal eeprom, and the atmel eeprom was the main external rom. Cant figger how to do this on an avr... cant execute my burn-a-byte subroutine from ram.

Imagecraft compiler user

glitch wrote:
Why do you think it wouldn't?
Only the normal uncertainty of knowing there was at least one restriction on using SPM and not reading all of the documentation to ensure that there were not other restrictions.