ATmega128 / ATmega64 development tools?

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I am interested in starting a new project with the ATmega128 and/or ATmega64 chip. I am not clear as to what tools support these devices. I understand that the new Studio 4 and the ICE50 can be used, but the ICE50 is $3500. I don' t pay more than that for my DSP tools and the micro is only on my board for support. This a DSP board, not an MCU board. Plus I understand that the new ICE50 has the typical new tool bugs (or worse).

I belive I can use the JTAG-ICE, but do I still have to use Studio 4? I understand that it is still pretty buggy. Is there an existing tool that supports the ATmega128/64 that is a little more proven?

admin's test signature

Rick ... I am using (learning) the JTAGICE with Studio 3.53 and Imagecraft compiler with the atmega128 at this very moment ( until I took a break to surf ). I tried Studio 4 and had some problems but other messages posted in the last two days may provide the solution and I'm gonna try it again as I like the looks of Studio 4.

OBTW .. you may want to check out the other forum as someone just posted some availability information on the 64 ( told ya! ) but I'm curious of the real status of the mega16 as the mega8 ( non-jtag sob ) is out.

But Rick glad you picked the right processor.

KB

Khim,

That other poster was me! I can't seem to login and I did not initially realize that I can type in my info when I post. For some reason it is remembering my info now. Go figure!!!

If you want real info on the status, you need to get one on one with the FAE or the sales guy. I did not have the real skinny about the mega64 not even being in tapeout until I asked for price and delivery quotes. They had been giving me the official party line that sampling would be in Feb and it was already half over!

I met with an FAE a couple days ago and he had just received a message that the ICE50 has a significant HW bug. He did not know what it was yet as he had not read the email/listened to the full phone message yet. So I don't know if there is a work around.

The JTAGICE sounds nice, but it won't support scan chains. The AVR has to be the only device in the loop.

I can't seem to get anyone to tell me if this is a SW or a HW bug. They always just tell me how the JTAGICE is a low cost unit and therefore it is optimized and can't do everything. I don't know what could prevent it from working in a scan chain other than SW. Unless there is an MCU in the HW and there is not enough memory to hold info on more than one chip.

I am still looking at other chips. The TI MSP430 is perfect other than the lack of scan chain support. So if I don't use the scan chain because of the tools, I might as well not use the AVR at all. $3500 is a lot to pay for an emulator for a $7 chip!!!

Hmmmmm... maybe I am not paying Atmel too much for the emulator. Maybe I am paying TI too much for their DSP chips???

Anyway, the original question was, do I have to use Studio 4 for debugging the ATmega128 and 64 if I use the JTAG-ICE?

admin's test signature

>>Anyway, the original question was, do I have to use Studio 4 for debugging the ATmega128 and 64 if I use the JTAG-ICE?

And the first line of my response above was ....

>> ... I am using (learning) the JTAGICE with Studio 3.53

Now if your question was is there something other than Studio 4 and Studio 3.X that uses the jtagice .... then I believe the answer today in no. I have spoken with IAR and indicate that they will support the jtagice in an upcoming release BUT they will not provide an answer to the scan string question AND it will be $$$.

( just for reference - and I'm sure you know the cheap version of the 430 dev software from TI has real limitations ... and the real version of the sw goes up in price quickly )

KB

Hi,
I have not tried the JTAGICE myself, but it supposedly works well with studio 3 as well as studio 4. Studio 3 recognizes the jtagice insetad of for instance stk500 and lets you program the m128 also.
So you should be able to get a platform for development at $299 + postage/handling, since studio 3 is free.

I answer like this since you seemt to ask for a software platform more established than studio 4?

Sytakji

admin's test signature

Khim,

Yes, I seemed to have missed the part about you debugging the mega128 with Studio 3. I was focusing on the problem rather than the solution.

I have not been able to find out how the ICE50 attaches to the target board yet. When I asked for documentation, they told me to download Studio 4 and check the help files... mmm. If ICE50 worked on the JTAG port, I would make an effort to start with the JTAG-ICE and then move to the ICE50 when I needed it. But I have no idea what the ICE50 is and how to design to it at this point.

I am aware of the limitations of the TMS430 free/cheap tools. But I am also looking at other products such as Cygnal, PIC and I started branching out to 16 bit chips today. If Mitsubishi had a web site that was worth a crap, I could tell you by now if there chips were what I needed. A couple of them look really good, but I have no idea how to emulate with them.

With a 16 bit chip with a memory interface, I can access the HPI much faster than banging a bunch of 8bit IO ports. But that is secondary. I was surprised that the full 16 bit chips are about the same price.

admin's test signature

Rick, the ICE50 connects the same way all the other big-box emulators do, by plugging into the AVR socket/soldering onto the AVR pads. The actual probe/adaptor hardware is similar in style to the ICE200 - a small probe PCB onto which is attached a personality adaptor for the specific AVR being emulated. There's no JTAG option - since the ICE50 replaces the target AVR, where would you attach the JTAG cable... to your board or to the ICE50 :-)

HTH
Chris

If your looking at JTAG ICE tools, you should also look at STUDIO+, if you can afford a small amount of code space for the ISD and the UART, this works perfectly. BTW it only costs $270, you can download and try it out for FREE from AVRfreaks.

Don

admin's test signature