AT90USBKEY header adapters

Go To Last Post
66 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

This post is related to the thread AT90USBKey Headers. I'm posting this here since it really is AVR related and might see a wider audience.

I scrapped the previous design of an adapter for the AT90USBKEY headers when I realized that it would be difficult to have more than one adapter board next to each other.

Here are jpg's of the latest design. Actually, one adapter PCB (10017-TOP) for J7, J5, and J4 and another (10017-BOT) for J6, J2, and J1 of the AT90USBKEY.

Again, the (Digi-Key # A9AAT-0502E) flex cables are connected from the top of the AT90USBKEY into the bottom of the adapter boards. Or, the flex cables could come out of the bottom of the AT90USBKEY into the top of the adapter boards. The adapter boards are now 2"x0.9".

I was thinking of using www.myropcb.com for these. Can't use batchpcb because of the 6 mil traces required to fit between the pads of the 0.05" connectors.

Here's the price breakdown for 50pc from MyroPCB

(50) PCB $0.36
(1) NRE $58.00
SHIPPING $35.00
------------------------
Total $111.00

$2.22 per board

The total will be $222 for 50 ea of both the 10017-TOP and 10017-BOT board pair. Note that the cost of 1-sided pcb versus 2-sided is just pennies per board. Single-sided, traces on bottom, no silkscreen, no solder mask doesn't change the price quote much to be significant.

If I can find enough people interested in buying the boards at $5.50 for the pair (envelope and stamp included in the US), I'll place the order. Remember, that a total of 12 pc of the Digi-Key A9AAT-0502E will be required for each board pair. The A9AAT-0502E is a custom made part that will show a quantity of 0 on search and has a fabrication time. Or, I suppose you could use wires to connect between the boards.

Here's a link to the gerber files for each board. TOP and BOT refer to the top and bottom row of headers on the AT90USBKEY that each board is associated with.
http://www.projectpoint.us/10017...

I did this on my hobby time. I just want to cover costs of the PCB fabrication. If someone else wants to take the gerbers and make boards, all I ask is that you make them available for cost+shipping to other freaks.

Anyone have any suggestions on a better way to make these available to freaks? Have freaks collaborated on costs for a common project before?

Tom

Had another idea for this. Below is another option for adapting the AT91USBKEY headers to 0.1" headers. This is a less expensive option. One adapter PCB for each AT92USBKEY header position. The PCB is 0.3" wide by 0.825" long. The adapter board may be connected with the same flex cables as above. Better yet, align the adapter board with the AT91USBKEY header of choice, with the top of the adapter directly against the bottom of the AT91USBKEY PCB and cut and solder short bare wire jumpers in all of the pad holes. Adapter boards may be connected to all 6 header positions. They will not interfere with each other or the JTAG connector.

I replaced the square pad, marking pin 1, on the 0.1" header footprint because depending on which set of AT91USBKEY headers you solder these to, pin one on the header changes. When soldered to J7, J5, or J4, the header pin 1 is on the upper left. When soldered to J1, J2, or J6, the header pin 1 is on the lower right.

Here are the Gerber files for this one.

These are less expensive also. From www.myropcb.com

(300)  pc          $0.05    $15,00
(1)    NRE         $58.00   $58.00
       SHIPPING             $35.00
----------------------------------
Total:                     $108 (50 6-piece sets)

That would be $2.75 for a set of 6 including an envelope and stamp in US. Can be mailed elsewhere, for whatever the postage costs.

This is not a plug for business. I'm not going to make any money on this. If the NRE gos away on the next order, which I think it does, the price per set will drop accordingly.

Brings me back to the question again of how we might share the cost of a project's PCB order as a group of freaks.

Tom

I'm definitely interested in a set, as I damned near killed my USBKEY trying to jury-rig it up to *new toy* yesterday. Incidentally, Steinar of Atmel (Senior Test Engineer) suggested I email Raphael of Atmel France about the board, as the latter designed and coded with it. I'm pretty sure it's the same Raphael I talked to previously about the 90USB1287, so I asked him about Atmel's solution to the adapters.

I'm looking for adapters that will not obscure or block any USBKEY functionality, including the JTAG. Whatever you can come up with is fine by me, so long as it does a simple conversion of the .5mm pitch connectors to .1mm. I'm happy to buy a set for up to US$10 plus shipping.

Will you be shipping the cables also if we purchase them? Easier than having to have us all go out and purchase separately, as we'd save on shipping and might get a bulk discount from the cable seller.

Once they're done, I think a photo showing them connected would be a good help to all of us to get them set up.

Out of interest, is there a specific reason to have two standard pitch connectors for each USB header like in your first revisions, other than convenience?

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Quote:
I'm looking for adapters that will not obscure or block any USBKEY functionality, including the JTAG. Whatever you can come up with is fine by me, so long as it does a simple conversion of the .5mm pitch connectors to .1mm. I'm happy to buy a set for up to US$10 plus shipping.

The 10017-4 design should not interfere with any other connectors. If you mount the adapter on the bottom of the USBKEY at the header next to the JTAG, you may have to trim the two jtag pins on the bottom of the PCB. Looks like it will be tight. If you use the flex cables, this shouldn't be a problem. The flex cables are about $1 each from Digi-Key.

Quote:
Will you be shipping the cables also if we purchase them? Easier than having to have us all go out and purchase separately, as we'd save on shipping and might get a bulk discount from the cable seller.

I could, but like I said earlier, I'm doing this from my hobby budget. I suppose I could move it over to the company side of things, but I really wanted to give a little here and provide something at a rock bottom cost for the hobbyist freaks that needed it. Perhaps this isn't the right project to do this on. On the other hand, if I do move it over to the business, I don't want to be stuck with a lot of inventory that no one needs. I was hoping to get together some folks to go in on the cost of the boards.

Quote:
Once they're done, I think a photo showing them connected would be a good help to all of us to get them set up.

If there's a little more interest and I decide to order the boards, I'll post a couple of photos.

Quote:
Out of interest, is there a specific reason to have two standard pitch connectors for each USB header like in your first revisions, other than convenience?

Just convenience. Besides having another connection point for each port pin, one could solder header pins into the first and third row for plugging into a solderless breadboard with 0.3" spacing. Based on total cost, I'm going to go with the 10017-4 design though.

Tom

I'm interested as well. Count me in for a set. The funky headers have been the reason I haven't jumped at an AT90USBKEY.

Tom

I'm all in!!
John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

Thanks Dean, Tom, and John.

I'll order 50 sets (300 pieces) of the 10017-4 on Monday and post a photo of all 6 installed on a USBKEY as soon as they come in. I'm not going to use the flex cables, I'll solder wire jumpers through the top of the USBKEY and out of the bottom of the adapter PCB with the holes lined up and the boards flat against each other. From what myropcb tells me their minimum trace to board edge is, it looks like I can reduce the width of the adapter so as not to interfere with the JTAG header pins.

Can you all handle $6 per set of 6 boards on this first batch of boards ordered? This will include postage and envelope in the US. Shipping elsewhere would add the price of the postage to the destination.

I'll post information, photo, and a PayPal button to order on my web site as soon as they arrive. There's no difference in price between a 7 day and 14 day turn, so I'll order with a 7 day turn time.

Tom

I'm pretty certain a few dollars won't break the bank, so I'll take a complete set (whatever it enough to break out the complete set of USBKEY port headers.

I won't be using the flex cable however (not going to incur shipping costs for a few inches of plastic), so I'll be interested in your photos when they're available.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

$6 for 6 boards works for me. No flex cable on my end, either. Hard-wired is what I'm after. Sounds good!

Tom

Thanks Tom us let me know, when and where.
John

Quote:

Anyone have any suggestions on a better way to make these available to freaks? Have freaks collaborated on costs for a common project before?

Hi Tom,

I don't have a need for this adapter, but I do like the idea of grouping small projects like this for the good of all. There are a lot of little helper boards that would make life much easier, but sometimes they are not worth the time and money for a one off.

I think an adapter board for the Dragon would be a good candidate. :)

Hi Tom,

I would also be interested in a set of six headers without the cables. I think, your second design (10017-4) is better, but as far as I see, you have already made up your mind.
Cheers, and thanks for the idea and suggestion :D
Zoltan

Quote:
I think an adapter board for the Dragon would be a good candidate.

I have a Dragon, but I haven't used it yet. What sort of adapter does it need?

Any other ideas for small adapter boards?

Tom

Before going too far with this, check out this site. It has 0.05" header pins and sockets. The dual row header pins are 0.05 in both directions, so we would need to buy single row, but some of the sockets are exactly what we need. And I checked the spacing between the port connections on the USBKey, we can use the 20x2 pin sockets to go across all three on each side. We would need to put the pins on the underside of the USBKey in order to not interfere with the JTAG and the reset button, but that certainly is not a big deal.

The header pins are here and there are a few different styles of sockets: A B C

Their minimum order is $35.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Quote:
I have a Dragon, but I haven't used it yet. What sort of adapter does it need?

Mostly for programming chips on board. As it is now you either need to make up a new cable for each device type or use a squid cable of some sort. I was thinking that just having a plugin top board with headers Stk500 style would make it much easier.

CirMicro, Time for me to break open the Dragon and also read the instruction manual. Let's see what we can come up with.

Tom

Way cool, this keeps getting better, and better!
Thanks,
John

koshchi wrote:
Before going too far with this, check out this site.

Steve, is your idea to populate the USBKEY thru-hole pads with the single row header pins (x2 each) and then using the dual row IDC header sockets to bring the signals off the board? Would you uses these IDC cables to connect to the 10017-4 boards? Do you see a way to bring the USBKEY signals out to 0.1 headers without the 10017-4 PCB? Thanks for the link to www.centralcm.com, they have some interesting products.

Here is the response from Raphael, the man who designed the USBKEY in Atmel France:

Quote:
Hi Dean,

I’m really happy to hear about you and your great stuff with AVR. Your knowledge of the USB and AVR are impressive!

I have designed the USBKey within a couple of days many months before and never plan such a success. We have sold thousands of these now…

The port extension connectors with there specific small headers are really a drawback. We should have used 50x50mil connectors instead of 100x50mil…

I haven’t found clean way to get the I/O without using the iron…

The connectors are standard 1.27mm through-hole headers for example Ref. SAMTEC TMS-110-01-S-D, available for instance from Radiospares reference 254-6283.

I attach the latest under approval datasheet for the product, some colleague are still working on it…

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Regards
Raphael

So looks like Tom's adapters are the goer. Attached to the email was a very welcome updated draft of the USB1287 datasheet, which I sorely needed for development of my own open source AVR USB driver implementation.

The 10017-4 adapter boards have been ordered! I managed to reduce the width to 0.275". There should be no interference with the JTAG or any other connector now.

Oh, you guys are good.
Thanks,
John

Quote:
Steve, is your idea to populate the USBKEY thru-hole pads with the single row header pins (x2 each) and then using the dual row IDC header sockets to bring the signals off the board?

Yes.

Quote:
Would you uses these IDC cables to connect to the 10017-4 boards?

You could do that, but I thought that maybe you could find something on that sight that might make you consider changing your design. I didn't see anything specific, but I'm a programmer, not an EE :)

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Sounds good, and I really like the final design. I'll just grab some old resistors and cut off the legs so I can make via's from the USBKEY to the adapters (for a flush mount, with the adapters on top) as you have planned. Let me know when they get in and the shipping cost to my house and I'll PayPal ASAP - I want the board as soon as I can get them for my experiments.

Perhaps I could put up some info on the adapters on my MyUSB page when they're ready to further spread the word?

Quote:
I'll just grab some old resistors and cut off the legs so I can make via's from the USBKEY to the adapters (for a flush mount, with the adapters on top) as you have planned.

Actually, I was planning on having the adapter boards flush mounted on the bottom of the USBKEY. But, I think either way will work now that the width is 0.275".

I was planning on shipping a set of 6 in an envelope with USPS 1st class postage. The shipping cost does not exceed $2 for any country the USPS delivers to. When shipping outside of the US, the total cost for a set of 6 will be $8. From what I can gather though, the delivery time may take up to 14 days. Priority Mail (6-10 days) would be a $12 shipping fee and Express Mail (3-5 days) would be a $25 shipping fee. Seems to be too much to spend for a $6 set of boards. I also receive no confirmation that the parts have been delivered so you'll be ordering at your own risk.

Dean, are your shipping costs to Europe similar to what I would pay here in the US? When are you going to complete your replicator invention?

Here's a link to the order page. We're on track with receiving these from myropcb.com by 1 Sep 2007.
http://www.wizbangdesigns.com/Pa...

Tom

I'm All in!
I just Jingled your pocket.
Thanks so much Tom.

John

Quote:

Actually, I was planning on having the adapter boards flush mounted on the bottom of the USBKEY. But, I think either way will work now that the width is 0.275".

That could work, but I was worred about the boards ruining the stability of the USBKEY. Seeing as I blue-tack it to my desk anyway, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Quote:

The shipping cost does not exceed $2 for any country the USPS delivers to. When shipping outside of the US, the total cost for a set of 6 will be $8.

Sounds fine - that's about AU$11. I'll PayPal you US$8 tonight when I get home. I do want them ASAP but not enough to tack on an extra $25! Incidentally, priority packages from around the world usually end up taking around 3 weeks to get to me (bad package voodoo causes them to be delayed and lost) but normal post takes only a few days. Last week an Atmel package sent through the normal post took three days!

Quote:

Dean, are your shipping costs to Europe similar to what I would pay here in the US? When are you going to complete your replicator invention?

No idea of the shipping costs, but I do know it's reasonably expensive. I'll check if you give me a rough idea of size/weight of what you want to ship.

Also, "replicator invention"?

You know, I just happened across the fact that the USB-IF is trying to phase in new "Micro-USB" connectors to replace the Mini- ones on the at90USBkey ... specs don't seem to be available quite yet, presumably not till they're final and there are conformance tests.

But this suggests that the USBkey should maybe get re-spun to use the new connector. (After inventory of current connectors and cables goes down maybe.) That would be a *great* time to switch over to support headers sitting on a normal 0.1-inch grid! :)

Yeah, dream on.

Quote:
You know, I just happened across the fact that the USB-IF is trying to phase in new "Micro-USB" connectors to replace the Mini- ones on the at90USBkey ... specs don't seem to be available quite yet, presumably not till they're final and there are conformance tests.

What?! Seems like there's a new USB connector every month. I've seen at least three iterations of USB plugs for each A and B type. The bus may be universal, but it seems the connectors are not ;).

Perhaps email your suggestion to Atmel and it may indeed come true. Raphael, the designer of the board, has been extreamely helpful and responsive to my emails.

The 10017 adapter boards just arrived!

A photo of a set of 6 is in the Post photos of your AVR project thread with a link to a full-size image.

So far, I've installed 4 of 6 on my AT90USBKEY. Took a break from the magnifier. I'll post photos of the AT90USBKEY with all 6 soldered on in a few.

Tom

Excellent - exactly as I had hoped! Can't wait to get mine, it'll make debugging and peripheral attachment far more pleasant.

A complete sequence of assembly photos have been posted in the Post photos of your AVR project thread.

All of the the pending orders will ship tomorrow! Each will ship with enough 24GA wire to complete the job.

Tom

Tom you are the man, they look really good!
Thanks for all your hard work!!!

John

One photo here to complete the thread!

if you use that wire that contracts when energized to connect the pcbs and get a remote control, that critter ought to be able to fly..maybe call it "DragonFly"!

nice idea Tom.... :)

Ha ha! I just got back from walking the dogs, and was making airplane noises while "flying" the USBKEY down the steps into the basement lab. Great minds think alike.

Tom

I got mine today!!!!!

Thanks Tom

Your welcome! The Dragon Top and Bottom boards should be in my the end of the week.

Tom

Mine arrived today too, they're great! And boy, are they tiny!

Can't tell from the photo Tom, but what process did you use to solder? Did you solder the vias to the top of the adapters first, then slot them into the USBKEY and solder to the USBKEY's bottom? Or did you solder both sides of the USBKEY then put the adapter on top? Looking for the best way to go about this with the best results and the least possibility of a screwup, since I only have one adapter set and USBKEY.

Hi Dean. I aligned the adapter pcb on top of the USBKEY and then inserted 4 wires (each about an inch long) through the corner holes. Use the 24GA wire I included with the adapters. I bent the wires over flat on top and bottom. This will hold the adapter in place and ensure that all 10 holes are properly lined up. Solder and trim these 4 corner wires. Finish up by inserting, soldering, and trimming the remaining 6 wires. Repeat for the other port pins.

I solder the 0.1" headers on each adapter after all the adapters are connected to the AT90USBKEY.

Tom

Hi All
Posting this here (in public rarther than just an email to Tom)

Thankyou.
My 2 sets of 10017 expaneder boards arrived this morning - Not bad turn arround as I only ordered them on Friday (6 days including a weekend). Even better when you consider that Tom is in the USA and I'm in the UK - Now if only I could get that sort of turn arround out of my normal componant distribution chain instead of the 14-16 week lead time I see more often than not :-)

mindsail wrote:
Thankyou.
My 2 sets of 10017 expaneder boards arrived this morning
Your welcome, and welcome to AVRfreaks! BTW, what are your plans for your AT90USBKEY?

Tom

That is totally cool. I just ordered mine.. I haven't done much of anything except flash the LEDs on my USBKEY because I hadn't figured out the best way to connect anything to it.

Thanks!

Tom, your adapters are really nice!

I'm thinking about designing my own adapter board for some time now.

My plan is to have a board where the USBKEY sits on top of it, with two 2,54mm raster connectors for each port, all aligned on a 2,54mm grid.

This way one can mount one connector per port facing up and one facing down so the board can easily be mounted on a prototyping board and it's still possible to have cables and/or a LA/scope attached on the top side!

Disadvantage would be a (much?) higher price due to the bigger PCB area needed!

I'd like to know how many people would be interrested in such a board so maybe ordering a bigger batch of them would make sense!?

BTW: As i want to have a way to send debug output from the USBKEY to the PC and there would be enough free board space on it, an optional FTDI USB-to-Serial chip on it should be possible! :P

Bertolt

bmildner wrote:
Tom, your adapters are really nice!
Thank you.

Take a look at my first idea at the top of this thread. I have two sets of headers for each port. You could put single row header pins on the bottom of the PCB in the two outer rows for plugging into a breadboard or experimenter strip and also solder a dual row header on the top of the board for access by oscilloscope or jumper wires. There's a link to the Gerber files for this design in one of the replies as well. Feel free to use this if you think it will work for you. It may be a bit less expensive than one large PCB.

Tom

There have been a few comments on the discrepancy between an earlier post I made about shipping being the cost of a envelope and stamp for these adapters and what I charge for online orders. Here's the scoop.

When the design was first done, I did not have a web store and was taking orders via email. Reality soon set in and I decided I needed a better way to take and track orders. I have a minimum $2 handling fee on all orders, which is still much lower than most folks charge. The $2 handling fee covers a small part of the time required to split the boards apart, tape them to a business card, cut the wire, stuff the envelope, buy the envelopes, and periodically visit the post office to purchase more stamps and the office store to buy more envelopes. Shipping is calculated by weight. Shipping via USPS 1st class for two sets of AT90USBKEY with the wires included in the US is $1.31. This includes the $0.17 fee required for an envelope that is not machine scannable by the post office because it is not flat.

My initial comment on AVRfreaks about shipping was not well thought out to say the least. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused anyone and thank you all for your orders and your support.

Tom

Tom,

Your website looks really good, and I think folks here at AVRFreaks will find your current and planned projects very useful.

"When you pick a cat up by the tail, you learn something you can learn no other way." Mark Twain

Keep some bandages handy and you should do quite well.

Smiley

My header adapters just arrived. However, in contrast to what is shown at http://www.wizbangdesigns.com/10... they are still connected by the PCB: http://iki.fi/lindi/avr/at90usbk...

How should I separate the headers for each port? A regular hacksaw will cut off at least 1 mm and potentially damage the connectors. Also, are there detailed installation hints somewhere? The wizbangdesigns page links to http://wizbangdesigns.com/phpBB/... but it is 404 right now.

Ok, found installation instructions at
http://wizbangdesigns.blogspot.c... so the only problematic part now is how to separate the header adapters safely.

A sharp box cutting knife should seperate them - just be careful! Score the spaces in between the board so that you can separate them using a gentle snapping motion. No hacksaw required.

Thanks, managed to separate them without injury :-) The header holes on at90usbkey side have solder in them so I can't just "insert" the 24GA wires. I should probably find this solder removal tool, remove the solder, insert the wires and add new solder? (Sorry for asking all these trivial questions but I am more of a software guy and want to make sure I don't break the hardware the first day.)

Interesting, my pack was pre-seperated with no solder in the holes.

My method is the "lazy" method - grab a piece of wire, jam it into the solder filled hole and then heat it with the iron until it punches through and takes the solder with it. Not politically correct, so grab other's suggestions first if you want to do it the EE certified way.

Pages