AT90USB162 vs ATMEGA16U4 and where to get ATMEGA32U4

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi All

I am quite capable of comparing the specs of these two processors. What I don't get is they are about the same price. Why wouldn't one use the 'Mega?

Other than I can't find a source for small Q's for the 'Mega it appears superior in most aspects to the AT90USB162

So my questions are :-

* Why use a AT90USB162 in preference to a ATMEGA16U4 (or even)ATMEGA32U4 and * Where can I get say 10 of the 'Mega's

Thanks
Chris

The ATMEGA32U4 is a new chip, and is currently not in distribution. (at least not readily) It will likely start to become available soon, at which point you should be able to get it through the usual channels in single piece quantities.

For now... contact your local rep to see if he can get you some samples.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

I have restarted this thread because the ATmnega32u4 is now available from AVNET. My question is also whether anyone tried this new series of chips (megaU4) and how it compares to the old AT90 series?

--Mike

One advantage of the at90usb162 is that it comes in a small package with fewer pins. It is only a 2mm x 2mm difference in the QFN packages, but this could translate to cost saving in mass production.

I also wonder if this might trigger a price reduction in the AT90USB162 line. I'd like that!

-Brad

Just quickly comparing the data sheets the following differences kind of jump right out at you.

The new ATmega16U4 has 1250 bytes of SRAM, 6 USB endpoints, no PS/2 compliant PAD, high speed timer PLL up to 96 MHz, on the fly external/RC clock source switching, more timer/counters, TWI interface, on chip temperature sensor, has an ADC and uses JTAG on a 44 pin package.

While the AT90USB162 has 512 bytes of SRAM, 4 USB endpoints, has a PS/2 compliant PAD, no high speed timer, no on the fly clock switching, no TWI interface, no on chip temperature sensor, no ADC and uses DebugWire on a 32 pin package.

I've been looking for ATMEGA16U4 and ATMEGA32U4 and at Mouser and Digikey with no luck. Sorry for my ignorance but should I take this as a sign they are not in distribution?

/RJ

Quote:

I've been looking for ATMEGA16U4 and ATMEGA32U4 and at Mouser and Digikey with no luck. Sorry for my ignorance but should I take this as a sign they are not in distribution?

Still "new", but a quick check here can give a hint at least for the US:
http://www.atmel.com/contacts/di...

Atmel ATMEGA16U Distributor Inventory Check
Device 	Distributor 	Country 	Stock 	Date 	Buy
ATMEGA16U4-AU 	AVNET ELECTRONICS MARKETING	US	688	08/31/2009	Buy
ATMEGA16U4-MU 	AVNET ELECTRONICS MARKETING	US	2050	08/31/2009	Buy

Atmel ATMEGA32U Distributor Inventory Check
Device 	Distributor 	Country 	Stock 	Date 	Buy
ATMEGA32U4-16MU 	ARROW ELECTRONICS	US	1883	08/27/2009	Buy
ATMEGA32U4-AU 	AVNET ELECTRONICS MARKETING	US	2232	08/31/2009	Buy

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Quote:

I'm staring at one right now, mounted on an AVROpendous2-DIP board - so they're available for purchase from somewhere, at least.

Quote:

I also wonder if this might trigger a price reduction in the AT90USB162 line. I'd like that!

Looks like the AT90USBxxU2 chips will be retired in favour of the new ATMEGAxxU2 chips, which might be cheaper. The new MEGA series 2 USB chips are basically the same thing, with a few electrical characteristics changed and with a new name to match the MEGAxxU4 series.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

theusch wrote:
Still "new", but a quick check here can give a hint at least for the US: http://www.atmel.com/contacts/di...

Oh, thank you very much. I now see that AVNET was mentioned previously in this thread. For some reason it didn't register as something to note. :oops:

Rick

abcminiuser wrote:

I'm staring at one right now, mounted on an AVROpendous2-DIP board - so they're available for purchase from somewhere, at least.
- Dean :twisted:

Yes, I've used the AVROpendous2-DIP design to make my own version using creative commons license. Added ability to have on-board voltage divider, or low pass filter, or series resistor on each output. Was going to order PCB but couldn't find the MCU at Digikey or Mouser.

Rick