AT90S2313 port to another?

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

If you haven't noticed the ATMEL AT90S2313 is becoming hard to find. Is there another MCU that will lend itself easily to be ported from a AT90S2313. I have a hex file for the AT90 and would like to use a faster better controller. Thanks in advance

Doug

admin's test signature

Hello Doug,

The AT90S2313 should not be hard to find! It certainly shouldn't be getting more scarce! However, I have to suggestions for replacements if you're still having difficulties:

The AT90S1200 is pin-to-pin compatible, but stands as a feature downgrade as it's an older part.
The logical step up the ladder would be the AT90S4433, though this device is not "drop-in" (it's got 28 pins...).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Morten, AVR tech. support, Atmel FAE

admin's test signature

Thanks...I'll look for them...I still would like to port it to another MCu and try it for the fun of it. I am just getting started in this MCU business. If you have any suggestive reading or D/L...that would be great also

Doug

admin's test signature

Hi again,

No suggested reading for porting save the data sheets, I'm afraid :) When writing portable code, make sure not to use absolute addresses. Use the bit and byte definitions in the def.inc file you include at the beginning of your .asm file (or .h file for you C compiler). Normal errors when porting are: Stack pointer (some are one-byte wide, some two. Some AVR don't require the user to initialize it, some do) and other memory references. For instance, the ATmega163 has so much memory it needs a two-cycle instruction to reach it all: JMP instead of RJMP.

Anyone else has some comments?

Best regards,

Morten, AVR tech. support, Atmel FAE

admin's test signature

Hi Doug,

yea, you can obviously port your program upon other AVR family member but...why? Look at www.usbid.com, I fond thousands units in stock just two hours ago...

Fabrizio

Faster better controller ?????
I hope your not referring to that other 4 clock cycles per instruction, W register sentry, paging nightmare addressing outfit.

Just a bit of humour !

Cheers Jack