AT90S2313-4 binary replacement

Go To Last Post
24 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

My friend came today with one .hex file
which is for AT90S2313-4 and he want to know what is replacement with binary compatibility for this retired model
He dont have any sources only compilled .hex file

Is it possible buy single unit of AT90S2313-4 or simply replace with other ATtiny model?

Many thanks.

A HEX file that runs on a 90S2313 should run on a modern Tiny2313.

The 90S2313 requires a crystal. So you will need to change the Tiny2313 fuses to run on that crystal. Remember to remove the stupid CKDIV8 fuse.

David.

You can find some on eBay.

The Tiny2313 is pin-compatible but I don't think it is binary-compatible. It might work. See the migration app note.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

AS far as I can see, the extra interrupts on the Tiny use new vectors.

So any old 90S2313 interrupts will go to the same vector on the Tiny.

As Lee says, check the migration notes.

David.

migration notes are usefull when you have source my friend has only hex file.

dxr wrote:
migration notes are usefull when you have source
They are useful even without source code. Yes, you may have to disassemble the code, but you're looking at (at most) 2K of code, which is no more than 1000 instructions. Just do something like:
avr-objdump -D --target binary -m avr hex.bin

As for the migration notes:

Migration notes wrote:
Changes to Names:

The following control bits have changed names, but have the same functionality and placement when accessed as in AT90S2313.

... is useful to know, even without source code.

Look at the migration notes. Focus on the section Differences Between ATtiny2313 and AT90S2313

JJ

"Experience is what enables you to recognise a mistake the second time you make it."

"Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement."

"Wisdom is always wont to arrive late, and to be a little approximate on first possession."

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not unicorns."

"Fast.  Cheap.  Good.  Pick two."

"We see a lot of arses on handlebars around here." - [J Ekdahl]

The Ebay 90S2313 chips are fairly expensive.
For the sake of buying a $1.50 Tiny2313, you can just try it.

If something is not right, post a full question here. e.g.
1. quote where you got the HEX.
2. what hardware it runs on.
3. what it is supposed to do.
4. how it is behaves differently.

You will probably get someone to help.

No, I would never consider inspecting a larger chip. But a 2kB 90S2313 is not too scary.

David.

Thanks David and others.

I will forward all information to my friend
and recommend Tiny2313 MCU and when he fail He will order 6$ AT90S2313-4 from ebay.
He wants make a NF amp and he has a scheme + HEX file and thats all what I known about his project.
My suggestion for he was dont build anything when you dont have sources or support for project but want build only this. He can be surrprised or disappointed.

Last Edited: Thu. Apr 18, 2013 - 04:52 PM

I don't know what a "NF amp" is.

Most simple projects have been done before. So I suspect there will be some public source code.

All the same, since you only want one chip, your strategy seems wise. i.e. Tiny first, Ebay only if it fails.

David.

Sorry David,
I forgot share project pdf
I am fixing my mistake now
My friend gave to me only PDF and question how substitute this MCU.
That's all what I know about this project
[Studio Series - Stereo Preamplifier.pdf]
http://depositfiles.com/files/rm...

dxr

That site is rubbish! Post the PDF here. Is it really 8Mb?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Where are you located? I have about 30pcs that I would be more than happy to send a bunch to you.

The are the 90S2313-10PC It's the 10mhz chip, but it will run at 4mhz with no issues. You just have to set the fuse bits correctly.

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

js wrote:
That site is rubbish! Post the PDF here. Is it really 8Mb?

I am not sure if i may upload this huge PDF
here becouse I may violate copyright. Yes it's huge PDF with HQ images
If you dont like depositefiles.com simple use google with keywords or check this link
Studio+Series+Stereo Preamplifier Peter Smith

PS: I am not building this I am only trying help to my friend find MCU replacement ;)

Silicon chip doesn't show the diagram. From the picture there is not AVR anywhere, it is siply an audio preamp.

If it's really 8M then don't post it here, but that site is only fishing for money.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

If you cant use depositefiles.com so then you may download this PDF from here
Again little my fault I dont read PDF only solving MCU replacement (rest is on my friend its his project and interest)

Quote:
Fig.1: the complete circuit diagram
for the control module. An AT90S2313 microcontroller (IC1) decodes data from the infrared receiver (IC3) and drives the motorised potentiometer accordingly. Five outputs from port B drive the relay circuits on the preamp (Feb 2008) to provide remote control of the music source as well.

from Page 24.

Quote:

If you cant use depositefiles.com so then you may download this PDF from here

It might not be about not being able to use those dropbox sited - it might simply be about dislike of such sites. If I follow your link I get to a page were there's a shitload of download buttons, all but one intended to fool me into downloading something that I actually do not want. I need to study that page carefully to make sure I get the correct download. It puts un-necessary workload on me. I loose interest. You don't get help.

How about this instead: You learn how to attach files to post here at AVRfreaks?

Quick Course: Don't use the "Quick Reply" area. Instead, click on "New Reply" which will get you to the full-fledged page for composing posts, and there you can attach files to posts.

Another alternative is to fist type your post text in the "Quick Reply" area, and submit it. Then you click the "Edit" button next to the submitted post - this will take you to the same full-fledged post-compoition page.

I reckon you've already seen that full-fledged page, since your posts above contains links. This will likely have forced the CAPTCHA functionality of this site, which also takes you to the full-fledged post-composition page.

This puts more workload on you, but since it is you that ask for help that's only fair.

Remember: The quality of the answers you get is highly correlated with the quality of the question you ask. It is totally up to you to make your question as appealing as possible so that we find it stimulating to help you.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

@JohanEkdahl:
JS : Posted: Apr 19, 2013 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
If it's really 8M then don't post it here, <--- jump to JS post ;)

Second reason why I dont used AVR forum storage is potentional copyright issue.
FileDropper is probably ok. 2steps click + captcha (i havent any pop-ups with Adblock Pro)

Of course I am fully capable upload files also here (check my post from 2008 there are attachments ;)
Thank you for your clarification I will consider in future if I will have material with clear copyright rights.

From the PDF:

Quote:
An AT90S2313 microcontroller (IC1) decodes data from the infrared receiver (IC3) and drives the motorised potentiometer accordingly. Five outputs from port B drive the relay circuits on the preamp (Feb 2008) to provide remote control of the music source as well.
... and:
Quote:
Note: the program file (MPOT.HEX) will be available for download from the EPE website (www.epemag.co.uk) for those who wish to program their own microcontrollers.
Looks like the hex file can be found here. The parent directory contains the release notes:

Version 1.1  22/01/07
This release to fix a bug described in Notes & Errata, April 2007

Version 1.0  27/03/06
Initial release, as described in Silicon Chip magazine, April 2006.

The program code described here is released as FREEWARE and as such is
NOT in the public domain.

While released as freeware, there is no mention of source code, and the emphasis on "NOT in the public domain" forces me to err on the side of caution and not post the disassembled code here. I would note that none of the other projects on the eepmag site which I've (briefly) perused have any indication of a strict copyright notice for the software. Indeed many of them include the source.

I have run:

avr-objdump -D -m avr mpot.hex

... on the hex file, and the results seem fairly easily descipherable, only 513 instructions, including 15 interrupt vectors. Should be a simple matter to determine whether or not the 2313 will work OOTB.

JJ

"Experience is what enables you to recognise a mistake the second time you make it."

"Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement."

"Wisdom is always wont to arrive late, and to be a little approximate on first possession."

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not unicorns."

"Fast.  Cheap.  Good.  Pick two."

"We see a lot of arses on handlebars around here." - [J Ekdahl]

Has your friend tried contacting the author and ask if he'd be willing to release the source code or an updated binary if needed?

No, he is not capable speak/write in english and he is not developer only analog guy.
I will try ask author for sources or recompile source on for new MCU.
But I dont want spare so many time with his project :)
But for us is cheaper and time-saving solution will be test with ATtiny2313 or buy Old little bit expensive AT90S2313 and

I recomend to friend go this way. I don't prefere ASM coding (OOP features=lazy coder)
I have also other solution use Arduino mini and use IR+stepper library its faster solution write new fw. ugly but fast.
And simple receive RC5 code and drive H-bridge.

I have soo many work in my garden then digging in debugger and project which is not usefull for me;) rest of time I wish waste on this project adding APRS to fw I know exist developing on original ABOV MCU but new CPU provide more freedom

Last Edited: Fri. Apr 19, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Missed this:

Quote:
If it's really 8M then don't post it here

Why not, John?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

My suggestion is can be uploaded to project section. and reference link can point there.

Tell you what I am gonna do.
As I asked in my last PM with you send me an address and I will send you five 90s2313-10 devices. No charge. If I have time I'll even program the HEX file into them for you.

Much easier IMO

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

I read PM just now and you have reply.
Keep on mind i am 6-9h shifted