AT90S1200 ISP Programming Problem

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Is there something I missed or need to do to program a AT90S1200 using a 6 pin ISP programming connector? I hooked up a AVRISP to a PCB with a AT90S1200 4mhz part and I can see it and I can erase it, but I get a failure when I try to program it.
In perusing the datasheet, it does state that you need to use the parallel programming mode to set the clock to internal versus external, but I didn't see anything about enabling ISP programming modes.
I can swap out the 1200 for a AT90S2313 and the same PCB works fine with it. So I don't think I have any PCB problems.
Thanks
Earl

ISP programming is controlled by the SPIEN fuse.

admin's test signature

Look with an oszilloscop to the levels of the isp interface. The avrisp have an very small driver. If you have an external load on the pins of the isp interface you could become problems. I have the same, on STK500 the isp works very fine, on avrisp it works not ( only erase works) . The other side is you could reduce the oscillator of the isp interface when the isp interface is too fast.

admin's test signature

Atmel changed the ID code for the 1200 and some programming software has problems with this. I had to hack the SP12 source code to get round this problem.

Leon

From your description, your AT90S1200 does not have a clock.

The AT90S1200 needs a crystal with load capacitors connected to it, or an external clock applied to the clock input before you can program it.

Rick

admin's test signature

Well this is a bummer, I guess Atmel doesn't want people to use AT90S1200's anymore. The chips I have are At90s1200-4si ones (0324 date code?).

I can parallel program other Atmel MCU's just fine, but it hates the 1200's that I have.

We have a price sensitive project that needs us to buy 5,000 MCU's for the first run with up to 50,000 for the second run. The price they were selling the 1200's for was pretty good.

I guess we'll have to look for something else. I'll have to see if I can get a couple more 1200's just to ensure it wasn't bad luck.

The Motorola chip rep is coming by tomorrow I think we'll see what he has in his new 908 MCU series.

Anyway, the datasheet that I have says the RCEN is enabled, but it doesn't appear to be so, but the RCEN is like they stated and is set for external.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The Chip with RCEN enabled could be ordered by ATmel as AT90S1200A. The AT90S1200 is the onlyst chip, wich could not programm the RCEN bit over isp. It´s one of the first designs of the avr chips. Look at page 61 (Ordering Information of the datasheet) "Note: 1. Order AT90S1200A-XXX for devices with the RCEN Fuse programmed."

admin's test signature

Well the lead times for getting the "A" model are too long for us at this time.

Success I was able to parallel program the chip! The AC adapter needed to be a 9vdc instead of a 6vdc adapter. With that the STK500 would drive the reset line to 12v or therabouts. The 9vd adapter does output over 12v with little load on it.

But then even after enabling SPIEN it still refused to program using a ISP programmer. You can set the fuse bits, power it down, then power it back on, and read the fuse bits as you had set earlier.
But it does work with high voltage parallel programming now.
Apparently the other MCU's I tried didn't really need 12v to parallel program.

So I guess the question is now, why it doesn't work for serial ISP programming?
I'll have to think about that some more.

Thanks to all again.

ISP is now working!
My stupid, apparently I was apparently setting the MCU for external clock when it didn't have a crystal installed. After carefully ensuring it was set for internal oscillator, then carefullychaning over to ISP mode and cabling it up carefully, it is now programing via the ISP mode just fine.

So now I'll have to find a couple of fresh manufactured "virgin" 1200's to confirm whether the SPIEN fuse bit is set or not set from the factory.
Looks like we'll need to layout the PCB to allow for high voltage parallel programming too, just in case.

Plus we'll see how deparate the Motorola rep is today. :)

Thanks again.

I almost forgot, my apologies to Atmel.
regards,
Earl