ASF3.4.1 is released

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

ASF3.4.1 is now online, includes support for SAM4L and a few other bugfixes.

www.atmel.com/asf or in Atmel Studio->Tools->Extension Manager, select "update"

-sma

I had installed, and updated my application to use, ASF 3.4.0. I just updated to ASF 3.4.1 using the extension manager in Atmel Studio 6.0. When I view the ASF tab in the project profile it now shows I'm using version 2.11.1 instead of 3.4.0 and will not let me select and upgrade to version 3.4.1. I'm using subversion, and it doesn't appear to have reverted my files back to 2.11.1.

arggg ok, there is a known issue with 3.4.0 (which was fixed in 3.4.1). Open your .cproj and update tag to 3.4.1:

-sma

mschickedantz wrote:
I had installed, and updated my application to use, ASF 3.4.0. I just updated to ASF 3.4.1 using the extension manager in Atmel Studio 6.0. When I view the ASF tab in the project profile it now shows I'm using version 2.11.1 instead of 3.4.0 and will not let me select and upgrade to version 3.4.1. I'm using subversion, and it doesn't appear to have reverted my files back to 2.11.1.

Do yourself a favor and don't upgrade a project to an higher ASF version when the AnkhSVN plugin is enabled. This will delete all files that are removed during the update, but the updater makes no svn add for the new files. Also this will make a discontinuance in svn.

sma wrote:
arggg ok, there is a known issue with 3.4.0 (which was fixed in 3.4.1). Open your .cproj and update tag to 3.4.1:

-sma

OK, That changed which version Studio 6 thinks I'm using, which will allow me to use version 3.4.1 files that I add using the ASF Wizard. But it doesn't update any of the files that changed between 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 that I am currently using. I guess the files that changed should be listed in the release notes. Where are the base ASF files stored so that I may manually merge them into my project if needed?

-ms

edit: I looked at the changes in the release notes and I am good. None of the files that changed are used in my project.

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 3, 2012 - 12:32 PM

PeteAVR wrote:

Do yourself a favor and don't upgrade a project to an higher ASF version when the AnkhSVN plugin is enabled. This will delete all files that are removed during the update, but the updater makes no svn add for the new files. Also this will make a discontinuance in svn.

Yes, I am familiar with this. Allow the upgrade process to backup your project. I have just kept track of the files the "upgrade" is replacing and externally merge the changes I have made to those files back in. I agree that it is a lot of extra work, but it is about the only way I know of to get bug fixes and updates.

mschickedantz wrote:
Yes, I am familiar with this. Allow the upgrade process to backup your project. I have just kept track of the files the "upgrade" is replacing and externally merge the changes I have made to those files back in. I agree that it is a lot of extra work, but it is about the only way I know of to get bug fixes and updates.

Do we speak from the same thing? I am talking about that when AnkhSVN is enabled, almost all files get a subversion deleted tag during the ASF upgrade. The next subversion commit will delete 90% of the ASF files on disk and in the svn repository.

PeteAVR wrote:
Do we speak from the same thing? I am talking about that when AnkhSVN is enabled, almost all files get a subversion deleted tag during the ASF upgrade. The next subversion commit will delete 90% of the ASF files on disk and in the svn repository.

Maybe not. I do have AnkhSVN enabled. I don't remember files just getting deleted. A lot of files get marked with a delete and an add but I haven't ever completely lost files. I seem to remember having to maybe commit twice to get the repository up to date but I haven't lost anything that the build depends on locally.

sma wrote:

-sma

Thanks for the pointer. But I doubt handling it like this is a smart move since it will only make the studio think you're on the new version 3.4.1 without actually upgrading anything.
Since the asf and studio doesn't know anything about 3.4.0 i've set my version to 3.3.0 using the above mentioned method.(You have to use a previous version asf/studio knows about so you cannot choose 3.4.0) :( Then i updated my project to 3.4.1 just as usual with the update wizard and it worked as usual. Not even sure if changing the version info to 3.3.0 is nedded at all.

I think Atmel should point this bug out somewhere prominently and provide a way to solve it for the normal user as this is quite surprising.

Regarding SVN for me SVN is a great help for upgrading ASF since i have some individual changes to asf files(enhancements as well as bugfixes): I do the ASF update as described above, then do a compare with svn via the old checked-in files(you can do this quite convenient for a whole subdir structure with Tortoise svn, don't know about the Ankh plugin). Then i check for each file if the update removed any of my changes and reintegate them(just a few klicks/keypresses). The whole process takes about 10 minutes and i get ASF updates while keeping my changes as well.

Holger

3.4.0 had a bug for new ASF project creation, was replaced with 3.4.1

-sma

This bug did affect existing projects as well, not only new projects. I have an older project started with ASF 2.x and updated regularly and i was affected by the same problem. I guess it happened during the last update but since i did not notice it happening i can't be sure.

Holger