AS7.0.2389 Pickit4 and Snap support

Go To Last Post
38 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I installed AS7.0.2389 on a Win10-64 DeskTop PC.

I can't find any Release Notes.

Snap is recognised.

Both Snap and Pickit4 have a "Communication mode" setting but Set AVR always fails.

If you select Device Programming for Pickit4 AVR and ARM devices are available in the dropdown.

It prompts for AVR mode if necessary.   AVR mode succeeds !   Programming works.

If you select Device Programming for Snap  no AVR or ARM chips are available in dropdown.  Manually typing ATmega328P also fails.

Snap is recognised by MPLABX-IDE.   It programs and debugs AVRs.   So it must be in the correct mode.

David.

david.prentice wrote:

I can't find any Release Notes.

Patience. Publishing things to web takes time...

david.prentice wrote:

Both Snap and Pickit4 have a "Communication mode" setting but Set AVR always fails.

Darn. Can you post a log?

david.prentice wrote:

If you select Device Programming for Snap  no AVR or ARM chips are available in dropdown.  Manually typing ATmega328P also fails.

Device support for a new tool requires updated DFPs. There will be, but don't know when yet. Meanwhile you can got to Tools -> Options -> Tools -> Hide unsupported devices and set it to False.

David,

take a look at this app-note, there seems to be a hardware proplems with certains assembly #..

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloa...

Hope it helps,

Moe

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

@je_ruud,

Changing the Hide option made the SNAP work like the PICKIT4 i.e. prompt if necessary.

Attempting to change Communication mode by right-clicking Tool:

I get Alert: Failed to set new kit mode. The kit has been rebooted.

I attach the LOG file. (up until this point)

If I knowingly select Communication=PIC from AVR the mode changes to PIC

A subsequent Start without debugging will prompt accordingly.

A subsequent Start with debugging on a debugWIRE chip will lock everything.

I have not posted the LOG for this.   (it was a deliberate error by me)

@Moe,

I was testing the Snap with a debugWIRE ATmega328P first.   The hardware mod is not relevant to SPI or debugWIRE.

I will test the Snap with a UPDI ATmega4808.   The mod is important.   I have already done the hardware mod.

I will then test with a JTAG ATmega16

I will test with a PDI ATxmega128A4

I might even test a SWD ATSAM3XE

Since the 328P seems to be working normally,  I would expect other interfaces to work smoothly.

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Mon. Sep 23, 2019 - 01:56 PM

david.prentice wrote:

Attempting to change Communication mode by right-clicking Tool:

I get Alert: Failed to set new kit mode. The kit has been rebooted.

Which mode was the tool in when you tried to change to AVR mode? Was it already in AVR mode?

It does not matter which mode you start in (from right-click).   Setting PIC mode succeeds.  Setting AVR mode always fails.

Of course the regular IDE debug/program  prompt only occurs if you start in PIC mode.

Regarding UPDI hardware mod.   You still need to remove the 4k7 pulldown and attach a 1k pullup to VCC.    I am surprised that the pullup has to be so "strong" even though R48 has been removed.

David.

Last Edited: Mon. Sep 23, 2019 - 03:21 PM

david.prentice wrote:

Regarding UPDI hardware mod.   You still need to remove the 4k7 pulldown and attach a 1k pullup to VCC.    I am surprised that the pullup has to be so "strong" even though R48 has been removed.

David.

Yeah I also expected this David...

I havent used SNAP till now, but I look forward to see your inputs. Thanks.

Regards,

Moe

je_ruud wrote:

Meanwhile you can got to Tools -> Options -> Tools -> Hide unsupported devices and set it to False.

This lets you select SNAP for Atmel devices in AS7.0

You need to remove R48 and add a 1k0 pullup to SNAP for UPDI targets.

This hardware mod is a little embarrassing for Microchip.   A future SNAP hardware revision will probably solve it.

Since most punters will be using PIC targets or legacy AVR ISP, JTAG targets they do not need to do the hardware mod.

ISP, debugWIRE, JTAG, UPDI seem to work fine in AS7.0.2389.   I presume PDI, TPI, SWD will work fine too.

Of course,  I have not used AS7.0 in anger yet.   But I am pretty confident that SNAP will behave 100% like PK4 or ATMEL-ICE.

Yes,   it is important that AS7.0.xxxx fixes the "supported devices" as default.

Yes,   it is even more important that they fix the right-click->Communication mode for PK4, SNAP

I had assumed that Microchip would have dropped AS7.0 in favour of MPLABX

It is very good news that SNAP is recognised by AS7.0.2389

AS7.0 is much better than MPLABX for debugging.   We can only hope that future MPLABX Releases will improve.

David.

Total votes: 1

Quite a while I have been suspecting that MC is going to drop support for AS7 in favour of MPLABX. A short look will reveal a lot of things:

- Device packs updates in AS7 are way old right now, e.g. Device packs for ATtiny 0 & 1 series (1.3.229 latest update Sep 2018)

- Atmel START is way behind MPLABX code configurator...which also has a complete cloud based IDE.

- Support for MPLABX and updates are almost up-to-date.

These are just some points that I noticed recently.

Go on.   Supporting two different IDEs must be a nightmare.   I would expect Microchip to rationalise their Tools.

If you have not made the hardware mod on your SNAP yet,   do it.

Then you can use your SNAP for UPDI devices in AS7.0.2389 as Nature intended.

David.

Edit.   Your comparison of SNAP and PK4 does not show that SNAP is incredibly cheap.

Personally,   I think the most important "AVR usability" is a suitable adapter.    Simple to make with a piece of Protoboard.   Even better if a pcb adapter came with the PK4.   And was available as a spare part for SNAP.

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 24, 2019 - 09:22 AM

david.prentice wrote:

Go on.   Supporting two different IDEs must be a nightmare.   I would expect Microchip to rationalise their Tools.

David, It could be a nightmare for me and you as INDIVIDUAL, but it should not be for a company.

About the Hardware mod, I think I raised that from beginning :)

Regards,

Moe

Surely it is worse for the company.    Two support teams !!

The punter just has to accept what she is given.    I would prefer one good IDE to two flaky IDEs.

David.

david.prentice wrote:

I would prefer one good IDE to two flaky IDEs.

I totally agree. but the case here is different...we have two IDEs one which is used by the most here in freaks which is AS7 / win...and MPLABX...both can run in windows...both have different device packs. most use AS7 but apparently they are not updating it anymore...you come as a beginner or proffessional and you start developing and daang! no support.... (But its not said). take device packs as example, I understand that it needs time and so on...but ONE YEAR...one year and without updating ?

david.prentice wrote:
Surely it is worse for the company.    Two support teams !!

A company like MC will not have a problem with hiring 10 support teams..not two :)

I always tremble a bit at the prospect of updating AS7. I wonder if it will still work afterwards... But ok, deap breath and let's do it!

Same here...this update (7.0.2389), I have it popping up, but I also always suspect will this mess up everything or not, so I ignore it.

Yes,  it always takes a long time to install AS7.0

I start the install and then take my dog for a walk.

It is a mystery why AS7.0 takes much longer than Keil UVision or Rowley CrossWorks.  Or even MPLABX.

At least Pack Managers mean that you don't need to install the whole caboodle when a new device description is released.

Rowley has always used "Packs".

The whole ARM world uses packs now.

I have reasonable Internet speed in Wormshill.

It must be a nightmare for dial-up.

David.

david.prentice wrote:

It must be a nightmare for dial-up.

who is still using a dial-up till now O_o.

When I moved in Suffolk I had to use dial-up because it took a while to get Broadband installed by the phone company.  And then Broadband was very SLOW.

Returning to Kent made a big difference.

If I were to sit and watch the AS7.0 install there is some time downloading but the subsequent local PC operations to unzip,  configure, ... seem to take a long time too.

The irritating part is multiple questions for instaling drivers.   Whatever "trusted" you click,  it still asks you again.

David.

Oh, yeah!

Everything exploded, as expected. Now I can't open any project, and when I create a new one I get this:

Repair the installation. Riiiiight... The chance of that working is amazingly low, but I will try...

Remove the installation and start again. It is probably quicker and definitely more reliable.
You just have to configure your external Tools and things like Edit Tabs.
Existing User projects and Solutions should be unscathed.
David.

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 24, 2019 - 04:09 PM

I was able to solve the problem before reaching the "Nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure" stage.

I had to change my user  account to admin level, do the repair, run AS7 once (it updates something as it is first run) then revert the account to regular user. Phew. Could be worse.

edit: and all this in just 4 hours since my first post. Easy!

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 24, 2019 - 05:47 PM

Can I ask a very silly question but where can one go to get the "latest" version of AS7? This thread seems to suggest it is  AS7.0.2389  so I simply typed "Atmel Studio" into Google and perhaps not surprisingly the top link brings me to:

https://www.microchip.com/mplab/avr-support/atmel-studio-7

and on that page I see:

So that is AS7.0.1931 - it was last updated in June 2018 so where on earth does AS7.0.2389 live?

Or, to turn that around, when is the main AS7 download page on microchip.com likely to be updated to the latest release?

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Clawson, another way is in AS7...Help--> Check for updates, and then it will automaticaly prompt the lastest update

But to say the truth...I dont want to update it...;-), you never know

A Triumph for marketing !!
The initial download might be 2.4MB but you still end up with downloading 1000MB i.e. a complete installation.
Yes, it is painful. But it makes SNAP usable i.e. supports most AVR, SAM, ... as fast as ATMEL-ICE.
David.

david.prentice wrote:
A Triumph for marketing !! . The initial download might be 2.4MB but you still end up with downloading 1000MB i.e. a complete installation.

It's been like this for a while. The web-installer (http://studio.download.atmel.com/7.0.2389/as-installer-7.0.2389-web.exe) is quite small, and will only download the parts you select. If you only select AVR8, not AVR32, SAM and ASF the download will be fairly small. If you select all, the total download will be the same as the full installer (http://studio.download.atmel.com/7.0.2389/as-installer-7.0.2389-full.exe).

Atmel Studio 7 | Microchip Technology

[7.0.2389]

Date Published

October 2019

I recently got a Snap, works both in MPLab X IPE vv2.25 and Atmel Studio 7 v7.0.2389.

Windows 7

I removed R48, added 4K7 between J4 pin 2 and 4.

In Tools/Options/Tools Set "Hide unsupported devices" to false

Before I did, the snap showed up, but would fail going into AVR mode (comm error) and drop down list were empty.

Only tried it with ATTiny 814.

One thing I noticed, to avoid communications error, connect the Snap (to USB) before starting the program (IPE or Studio), might just be me but if I start the program first, then plug in USB cable, communication always fails.

Last Edited: Tue. Oct 1, 2019 - 10:00 PM

squiggy wrote:

and drop down list were empty.

I think this is because the DFPs need to be updated to include the Snap...

Not familiar with DFPs.

Just started using Studio.

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 2, 2019 - 12:06 AM

squiggy ,try updating the device packs, I havents used the new MPLAB, but in AS7 this can be done via Tools ---> Device Pack Manager --> Check for Updates

and then install the required updates for your target mcu. Alternatively you do this manually by downloading the latest device packs from:

AS7:

http://packs.download.atmel.com/

MPLAB:

https://packs.download.microchip...

File Microchip.ATtiny_DFP.pdsc doesn't yet have MPLAB Snap though does have MPLAB PICkit 4 for tiny814.

gchapman wrote:

File Microchip.ATtiny_DFP.pdsc doesn't yet have MPLAB Snap though does have MPLAB PICkit 4 for tiny814.

gchapman, isnt it device packs ? maybe am wrong but my understanding is the the support for e.g. ATMEL-ICE...SNAP.. PICkit 4 is different that supporting for the mcu's like tiny814...maybe am wrong ?

I'm uncertain as apparently code leads the documentation smiley

Microchip.ATtiny_DFP.pdsc :

<device Dname="ATtiny814">
                  <at:interface type="updi" name="UPDI"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.atmelice"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.edbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.edbgc"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.edbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.jtagicemk3"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.jtagice3plus"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.medbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.nedbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.pickit4"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.powerdebugger"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.stk600"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator"/>
                  <at:property name="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator.key" value="ATtiny814"/>
                  <at:property name="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator.model.win32" value="simulator/win32/libattinyxa.dll"/>
                  <at:property name="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator.model.linux64" value="simulator/linux64/libattinyxa.so"/>

MPLAB PICkit 4 and MPLAB Snap are beta for tiny814 in MPLAB X v5.25