AS7 and STK500 - is the problem before or behind the keyboard?

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Having had some issues with a mixed C/Asm project where the linker simply didn't resolve any reference between C & Asm modules (using Code::Blocks) and an old toolchain, i decided to upgrade the toolcahin, which finally ended up in installing Atmel Studio 7. My code gets compiled/linked fine and the resultant file is working perfectly. So far for the good news.

Now, trying to trigger the device programming step, the odyssey starts: My STK500 is added properly, so I select it in the "Device programmer" dialog, and after clicking "Apply" and clicking "Production File" i get honored with a "Program" button. Hooray.

There must be a simpler way to achieve this or even to automate this, but maybe I'm just too old to get used to such hopelessly overcrowded GUIs. A google search didn't help (which somehow makes me think I'm actually the problem because nobody else seems to suffer from this issue...), and a search on avrfreaks doesn't seem to work selectively on a particular forum.

So, could any kind soul out there explain to me how i can trigger the programming step with just one single click to somewhere? Or even include this into the sequence of build steps?

Thanks a bunch,

-- Thilo

Einstein was right: "Two things are unlimited: the universe and the human stupidity. But i'm not quite sure about the former..."

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Wow! Now THAT was fast! Thanks a lot, i ckecked it and it worked indeed ;-)

But how does the "Production file" section get updated automatically with the project's output file name and dir? For me, it still contains the one from a previous project.

Again thanks!

-- Thilo

Einstein was right: "Two things are unlimited: the universe and the human stupidity. But i'm not quite sure about the former..."

It doesn't, it usually just remembers.

meolsen wrote:
It doesn't, it usually just remembers.

Hmmm, i guess the good thing here is that at least i didn't overlook something obvious... Surely such a high sophisticated feature like automagically apply the project's outfile to the input for any selected programmer was out of scope while they were busy with just implementing the bare functionality of a rudimentary IDE? <sarcasm off again. Sorry, that's beyond me...>

Never mind, nobody, errr, notool is perfect!

Since I'm on holiday, to answer the sarcasm: why would youuse the production file page with a project when we have given you a single button?

Ok, i just created a simple C test project and used "Start without debugging", which made the LED on my STK500 flicker for a second. But right on I simply do not know what file it actually downloaded. Looking at the production file setting, it is just empty. So, i guess that i simply have to trust AS7 in downloading the correct (read: the freshly built) elf file? Hmmm, I'd really like to have just a tiny little additional control over such a tool...

... and please don't take my sarcasm too hard, i really appreciate your late work (in your leisure time). Greetings to the northern europe (i guess)!

Those two things have nothing to do with each other. The programming dialog does not know anything about the projects.