Go To Last Post
22 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi AvrFreaks,

recently spent the whole day, try to resolve the following issue:

- AS7 V7.0.582-full downloaded from Website

- installed on Windows 7

- started working, compiling fine ... but "Goto Implementation" does not work anymore. and all entrys in Visual AssistX menue are gray (even the "enable" entry)

Things I tried with no success:

- deinstall AS7

- reboot

- install AS7-full again  --> no VA

- deinstall AS6 and AS7

- reboot

- deinstalled everything again

- removed all Atmel folders under "Program (X86)"

So before I go to format-c:-ing the whole box, which will costs at least two work days to

get the system back running, I want to ask if somebody had this issue and could fix it.

Thanks in advance, Axel.

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Fri. Oct 9, 2015 - 07:07 AM

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

What does the plugin manager in AS7 say re VisualAssist?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

@Morten, thanks for the pointer to the thread - I did not find it.

However upgrading the graphics driver on my Dell E7440 did made my AS7 VisualAssist working - thank you so much, this saved me a lot of working hours!!!!!!

@JohanEkdahl

Before I upgraded the graphics driver ITM checked the Extension Manager and found that VisualAssist from WholeTomatosSoftware was installed as 

extension. In my previous trials I deinstalled it and could not reinstall it, because it was not found anymore by the ext. manager. So if somebody

accidently deinstalls VisualAssist, he/she need to deinstall the whole AS7 and reinstall it.

Anyway I'll mark this thread as solved: solution of original topic of none working VisualAssist in AS7 is upgrading the graphics driver.

Do you have to reinstall AS7 after updating the graphics drivers?

I have a HP EliteBook 840 G1 with a AMD Radion 8700M graphics card. When updating to the newest version 15.20.1062.1004-150803a1-187669C (Catalyst Version 15.7.1) the Visual Assist is not available?

Is there a compatibility problem?

Best regards,

Some laptops used to have dual graphic cards, are you sure yours is not running on the Intel Graphics card as this page seems to indicate :

"Graphics Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400"

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elitebook-840-g1-14-core-i5-4200u-windows-8-pro-64-bit-8-gb-ram-180-gb-ssd/specs/

No need to reinstall Studio.

I am using the Intel® Driver Update Utility.

This tool says everything is up to date.

I'm also having the same Visual AssistX issue. Everthing is up to date but still doesn't work. So what I deed was, going into control panel -> device manager and turned off my Intel HD Graphics 4600, now I was sure my system was runnig on my second graphic card "Nvidia Quadro K1100M. So I restarted Atmel Studio 7.0 and this time Visual AssistX was working. But by turnig off the Intel Graphics 4600, I'm not ables to use any external monitor or procjector.
Is there any other way to force the system?

Kind regards,

Alexandre

I actually did the same, but you have same disadvantages here. Can not use a few other programs and also the problem with the external monitors.

Kind regards,

Patrick

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 14, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Note that also some OEM drivers (from manufacturers not Intel) seems to block the Intel Updater. If the manufacturer does not have updated drivers (we found at least one lenovo and some HP laptops without updates), then the 'solution' is to uninstall the OEM driver (in the device manager), thus reverting back to the standard windows VGA driver, and then install the Intel one. This of course is not 'as designed to be' by the manufacturer, so normal caution about burning monkeys applies.

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

@ danv: I tried the manual installation multiple times last week: Unfortunately I receive an error message (This driver is not validated for this computer)

@meolsen: I actually also tried this method and removed all AMD related software from my computer. But updated then again AMD and not the Intel driver. Unfortunately this takes a lot of time. Maybe i will have time on the weekend.

Thanks for all of your help

Quickly tried it out, because i really want to use Atmel Studio and it actually didn't require that much time.

After deinstalling the OEM softare, Intel still finds no updates and the manual installation is still not validated.

Regards

@General: Could you fix the problem?

Any new regarding to this problem?

Regards

Graphic driver update will not be required, please use the following workaround

Append the system PATH variable with the following  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE" (update (x86) based on your pc) and start Atmel Studio 7.0.

Hi Charla,

What do you mean by "Append the system PATH variable with the following  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE" (update (x86) based on your pc) and start Atmel Studio 7.0."?
Where doe we have to append this? 
Thanks a lot.

Alex.

Hi Charla,

What do you mean by "Append the system PATH variable with the following  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE" (update (x86) based on your pc) and start Atmel Studio 7.0."?
Where doe we have to append this? 
Thanks a lot.

Alex.

Hi Alex,

1) Check whether "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE" path is available in your machine

2) Go to  System Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables. Under Environment Variable you will find System Variables under which select "PATH" and edit the variable and append it with C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE

Thanks a lot Charla. It's working.

Thanks.

This is now fixed as part of Atmel Studio 7.0.634: https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/a...

I just went to add or remove the program, and clicked repair instead of uninstall. Fixed the issue for me.