AS6.2 SP2 breaks JTAGICE3 debugging

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I just knew...so we'll just add to the litany of threads about the same problem.

After upgrading the tool PDI debug no longer works, programming seems to work.

Starting debug seems to successfully download the code to the chip as it runs correctly but then a pop up comes up with "Failed to launch" "Timed out waiting for device to reset" and the debug session is terminated.

At times I get the Upgrade screen but that also fails as the tool is already up to date.

And yes I have unplugged the tool and restarted AS6 several times.
The Green led towards the centre of the box flashes as if in upgrade mode?? both during program and an attempted debug session.

Attachment(s): 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Re installing AS6.1 sp2 didn't help. A bit more info, the code runs immediately and without hitting Run instead of going to the first line of main. I guess this is because Reset doesn't work.

Copy of message window from the "Backside Agent"

Quote:
01 14 12 713: tcf Using tools from
01 14 12 781: tcf Using tools from
01 14 13 485: tcf Using tools from
01 14 13 679: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Reset failed.
01 14 13 679: dbg The requested command timed out. Debugger command Reset failed.
01 14 29 424: pro The command was executed in an illegal run/stopped state. Debugger command Hardware Breakpoint XMEGA failed.
01 14 29 424: Failed to update breakpoints when destroying Avr8RunControlContext
01 14 29 600: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Reset failed.
01 14 29 638: error terminating debug session while trying to Error is The requested command timed out. Debugger command Reset failed.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

So I made it official and send support an email.

What's going on with bugzilla? I tried to log in there but I get an ASF bugzilla page with:

Quote:
ASF Bugzilla allows you to view and track the state of the bug database in all manner of exciting ways.
I really, really, really don't care at all for ASF, why can't I report a Studio bug with bugzilla?

Even the Studio link for reporting a bug goes to that page. :roll:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

There's a Atmel Studio component in the ASF tracker.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Oh I see, then ASF must stand for Atmel Studio "Fauxpas" (or other appropriate word beginning with F). :mrgreen:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Has there been any update to this? I'm experiencing very similar problems.

It is worth noting however that I have always been on AS6.1 SP2, I don't believe I ever had AS6.2. Also the behavior is slightly different:

My code correctly breaks at the first line of main, and I can assembly step through a couple lines of it, but then extremely early on in my debugging session I get the same behavior you do, where I can't pause or set breakpoints or anything. The output of the backend agent console is very similar too.

12 16 08 344: tcf Using tools from 
12 16 08 460: tcf Using tools from 
12 16 09 736: tcf Using tools from 
12 16 40 987: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 16 40 987: dbg The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 16 49 984: pro The command was executed in an illegal run/stopped state. Debugger command Hardware Breakpoint XMEGA failed.
12 16 49 985:  Failed to update breakpoints when destroying Avr8RunControlContext
12 16 50 087: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 16 50 087:  Failed to stop Target: The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 17 08 313: tcf Using tools from 
12 17 08 338: tcf Using tools from 
12 17 09 646: tcf Using tools from 
12 19 26 361: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 19 26 361: dbg The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 19 26 364: pro The command was executed in an illegal run/stopped state. Debugger command Hardware Breakpoint XMEGA failed.
12 19 26 364:  Failed to update breakpoints when destroying Avr8RunControlContext
12 19 26 467: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 19 26 467:  Failed to stop Target: The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 19 57 644: tcf Using tools from 
12 19 57 683: tcf Using tools from 
12 19 58 939: tcf Using tools from 
12 21 20 038: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 21 20 038: dbg The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 21 28 787: pro The command was executed in an illegal run/stopped state. Debugger command Hardware Breakpoint XMEGA failed.
12 21 28 787:  Failed to update breakpoints when destroying Avr8RunControlContext
12 21 28 889: pro The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.
12 21 28 889:  Failed to stop Target: The requested command timed out. Debugger command Stop failed.

Did you end up making a a bug ticket anywhere that I can track?

Thanks and let me know.

Quote:
There's a Atmel Studio component in the ASF tracker.

Oh. That makes sense.. :wink:

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

One more update, I switched back to using a jtagmkii and that completely solved the problem. So that pretty much eliminates the possibility that it was something wrong with my code or the project settings in AS6.

Identical stuff except I changed the project tool to jtagmkii and everything worked perfectly.

Clearly the issue is using the jtagice3, hopefully someone is fixing this or has already fixed it. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

Quote:
don't believe I ever had AS6.2
You are correct as there is NO AS6.2 in existence yet, well at least for us mere mortals. :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au