anything strange about portc on atmega162?

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi - I've encountered a very wierd problem. I recently built a 32 servo controller based around an ATMEGA162. There's a servo PWM output on 32 different GPIOs. 28 of the 32 work beautifully. But 4 pins, the 4 highest bits on portc, just do not work at all. I have run a couple tests to make sure that it isn't in the software. Just in case, here's the initialization code:

/* initialize USART */
	UCSR0B=1<<RXEN0|1<<TXEN0; /* no rx interrupt (1<<RXCIE0), enable tx and rx, */
	UCSR0C=1<<UCSZ01|1<<UCSZ00; /* 8b character size, no parity, 1 stop bit */
	UBRR0L=8; /* 115200 bps baudrate with 16mhz oscilator */
	UBRR0H=0;
	/* initialize timer */
	TCCR1B = 1<<CS11|1<<WGM12; /* prescaler = 8, clear counter on OC1A match */
	OCR1A = 40000; //16e6 / (8 * 50)
	OCR1B = 5130; /* 620-5640 */
	TIMSK = 1<<OCIE1A|1<<OCIE1B;  /* enable OC1A interrupt */
	DDRA = 0xFF;
	DDRB = 0xFF;
	DDRC = 0xFF;
	DDRD = 0xFC;
	DDRE = 0x07;
	sei ();

I have confirmed that everything is soldered properly and that there is a physical connection between these 4 pins on the atmega162 and the output header. So it doesn't seem to be software *or* hardware.

Anybody have any clue what could be going wrong here? I'm just completely lost here.

PS by the way, notice I had to write the UBBR0 high and low bytes seperately? I'm using I believe the latest WinAVR. I used similar code on an ATMEGA48, and I always just wrote to UBRR0 - the compiler took care of the high and low bytes for me. But when I tried to do the same with this atmega162 gcc spit out errors at me. Wierd.

Is the JTAG interface enabled ?

It is on by default.

Either clear the JTAG enable fuse or set the JTD flag.

Mike Adams
ADI Development, Inc.
http://www.adidev.com

... When it has to actually work.

dr.mike wrote:
Is the JTAG interface enabled ?

It is on by default.

Either clear the JTAG enable fuse or set the JTD flag.

Wow - thank you so much. I cleared that fuse and suddenly the 4 pins perked right up! Everything works perfectly now!

-Michael

Also... to turn off JTAG under program control, you must do it twice in a row.... so a runaway program wont turn it off I guess..... I found this out by reading the fine print in the data sheet several times......

Imagecraft compiler user