Any experience with the -A suffixed parts (ATMega128A)?

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Our parts supplier noticed us that they might start to have problems supplying the "old" 'M128-s, and recommended the "new" 'M128A.

We've of course gone through the migration document, but still: are there any experiences, good or bad, with the -A suffixed parts?

Thanks,

Jan Waclawek

We moved from M48P and M88P to the -A types without any changes/problems.

/Martin.

Thanks, Martin.

We'll look into it, with slightly less fear now... :-|

Jan

Jan,

I'm investigating the same transition. The 'A' parts are 'bout half the price at Digikey. Did you find a document that outlines the differences between a 128 and a 128A?

We've begun using the mega644PA in place of the mega644P with no code changes and no problems.

Don Kinzer
ZBasic Microcontrollers
http://www.zbasic.net

My experience has been that there are no differences. I have migrated approximately 10 projects to date.

This stands to reason as the chips are the same design, just manufactured with a newer finer process resulting in a smaller die. There may be performance differences if you are operating at the edge of the envelope - though I have had no such issues.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

Just what I had hoped. Just like Coke with the new logo but none of this 'New Coke' stuff.

AVR525: Migration from ATmega128 to ATmega128A:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resourc...

/Martin.

This was the type of document I was looking for! I did a search on the Atmel website to no avail- poor choice of criteria perhaps. Thanks Martin.

After "formal approval" I did not follow up what the "machinery" we have here actually did with it. Turns out we used both -A and non-A 'M128s last year, with no notice of difference whatsoever.

Jan